Install help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

grantsa4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2007
Naperville, IL
I am considering getting a FTA setup - maybe going for the Mercury II off Sadoun and need some advice.

I am not confident enough in my own capabilities, so am looking into getting some professional help, so I checked out ftainstall.com and I got 5 results.

I live in the IL western suburbs - does anyone have any recommendations of good installers to help install an FTA motorised dish?

Honestly, if you are able to use a drill, socket set and a level, I would suggest doing it on your own. The skills you learn installing it yourself will be invaluable when it comes time to re-tweak the dish after a storm or the winter. Otherwise, you'll have that 'professional installer' back to your house everytime the dish needs to be moved 1/16" of an inch to get a signal back. By the way, most "FTA installers" only know how install the questionable stuff.

Its not that hard, don't be overwhelmed by it. My suggestion is to start with a stationary install to get you familar with your dish and receiver. Look at the list: SatelliteGuys.US - TheList and find a satellite with programming you want to watch. Aim at that one, and spend a few weeks just watching and tweaking, which will let you get to know the reciever, as well as the quirks of your specific dish. Then you can move to add the motor. We've all been there, and can help you get on the arc once you've decided its time to add the motor.

Thanks for the reply - my biggest concern if where to place the dish - I don't want to damage the house for future selling potential. We live in a townhouse - I attached a photo - the front of the house faces south.

Don't know if this helps at all.

Attachments

• 89 Townsend Circle  - Entrance_2.JPG
    89 Townsend Circle - Entrance_2.JPG
    508.4 KB · Views: 131
It would help if you showed a picture standing at the garage looking away from the house. That way we could see if there are trees or houses in the way. I would set the dish on a pole in the yard set in concrete if you are worried about damaging the house. When you get ready to move just dig it up and fill the hole with dirt. Also if the dish is at ground level it is many times easier to aim.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)