install help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mannyj

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Guys -

I can really use your help with the installation of my dish.

Here is what I have.

Fortec Start FC 90
Stab rotor HH90
Diseqc 1.2
Viewsat VS2000 extreme

Can anyone please point me in the right direction. I am having a lot of
difficulty pointing the dish in the right direction.

Thanks,

Manny

I'd start out by reading. We'll need some more info such as your lat/long and what you want to accomplish (fully motorized system it sounds like by your equipment list). What LNBF do you have?

Das -

Here is what I got from the LNB.

Invacom
QuadPolar
Legacy 4 0/P LNB
QPH-031

Latitude 26
Longitude 80.2

I am trying to tell the receiver where to find NIMIQ 2 (82w) so that it can use that as a reference to find any other birds. One of the challenges in doing this is that there are two angles that need to be lined up somehow.

One of the is the dish, and the other is the angle of the rotor. Although the pole where the dish would normally go is straight, when the rotor attaches to the pole is not exactly straight...

Your thoughts ?

Regards,

Manny

There's something different about the HH90 than the HH100 and HH120, but I don't know what it is off of the top of my head. Does it have latitude markings on the side of it? You need to set the motor to your latitude. That sets the angle of the motor. Then, you have to figure out the angle you need to set the dish to. I'm no good when it comes to that. I just use a signal meter and fish around the area until I find something.

Das -

The rotor does have markings for the latitude.

If I setup the angle in the motor, is there a tool that will help
me figure out the angle in the dish ?

Is there someone here you recommend I talk to ?

Thanks,

Manny

What kind of tool can I use to setup the dish, if I do not know

Your motor elevation shoulb be your latitude,the dishelevation should be in your instruction manual.You leave the motor elevation alone,But the dish elevation is just a starting point.You might have to slightly increase or decrease it til you get quality.The most importend part is that your mount is plump.Brace it if you have to.
The second thing is,you have to point your dish to your true south before you do anythig with your motor.Once you do that you run it with your motor to your true south sat which is 82W.You have to achieve maximum quality before you go on.
I am not familiar with your receiver,but if it has USALS you are better of to use it.
For that to put in your coordinates in the startup menue.I hope this helps.
Reinhold.

Reinhold -

Thanks for your comments.

My dish did not come with an instruction manual indicating dish elevation. It just said, be sure your mount is plump. If I did not had the rotor, the latitude adjustment will be only one set of numbers as opposed to two.

If I understand you correctly, I need to line up the dish with the true south bird 82w and the rotor at 0 using USALS. Once this is done, I am ready to hit other birds since the antenna and the rotor are aligned correctly.

How do I do this.

I got to the receiver, select 82w, USALS and let the "beeps" guide me ?
How will I know if the receiver aligned me with the wrong bird ? So that instead of hitting 82w I am hitting something else ?

Aside from a compass, do you recommend any tools that would help me orient the dish properly ? I am trying to figure out in what general direction should I point the dish up or down, left or right.

Thanks,

Manny

Anole -

Thanks for the info.

Assuming I know what my Longitude is supposed to be, how do I set this up ? As I understand, this is the side to side adjustment.

Thanks,

Manny

Aiming your dish using stub hh90

Hi,
I have a little suggestion, obviously I must agree with the recomendations of the other members, but I had the same problem with my 36'' fortec, stubb hh90 and coolsat 6000 premium. This is how I did:
1. Follow all the instructions for the dish installation (dish must be looking south).
2. Adjust the angle in the stubb hh90 (it's iqual to thelatitude where you are located).
2. Once you install the dish pole death level, install the stubb hh90 with the settings mentioned before. Do not tight too much the bolts at this time.
3. Install the rotor to the stubb hh90, stand behind the dish pole and by looking down make sure the rotor is not twisted to the side (it has to be straigth).
4. Install the dish, by using the provided brackets which will be inseted in the rotor. At this respect, the brackets have to inserted throu the holes of the dish angle and attached to the rotor.
5. Install the dish to the dish angle. Do not tight too much the screws of the dish angle at this time.
6. Connect a 1m (approx) RG6 cable from the lbn of the dish to the lbn of the stubb hh90.
7. Connect another cable from the reciever port of the stubb hh90 to the back of the reciever ( it should say lbn in the back of your reciever).
8. Go to Installation--Dish setting and look for the USALS feature. A list of satellites will appear, choose the satellite, the closest to the south (the location of that satellite should be the same as your latitude. Ex. If your lat. is 93, your satellite should be the one located at 93W or the closest). THIS IS WHAT THEY RECOMEND, BUT IT DID NOT WORK IN MY CASE. SO I JUST PICKED ANY SATELLITE OF MY INTEREST FROM THE MENU AND I LET USALS LOCATE IT FOR ME. FOLLOW MY PROCEDURE IF THE GENERAL PROCEDURE FAILS.
9. Get a satellite finder if you can, otherwise bring a portable tv and the reciever to the place where your dish is installed.
10. Move the angle dish up and down as requiered and check in your tv if signal bar improves. As soon as you get a good signal, tight the screws of the dish angle and move the whole dish from side to side as required in order to get a better signal. After you finish, tight the screws of the stubb hh 90.
11. Run a blinscan and see if the dish catches any channels. Do the same for other satellites that shows a good signal and you should get a bunch of channels.
NOTE: Make sure your reciever has the latest bin files. If not, read and search a little bit and you'll find it.

Reinhold -

Thanks for your comments.

My dish did not come with an instruction manual indicating dish elevation. It just said, be sure your mount is plump. If I did not had the rotor, the latitude adjustment will be only one set of numbers as opposed to two.

If I understand you correctly, I need to line up the dish with the true south bird 82w and the rotor at 0 using USALS. Once this is done, I am ready to hit other birds since the antenna and the rotor are aligned correctly.

How do I do this.

I got to the receiver, select 82w, USALS and let the "beeps" guide me ?
How will I know if the receiver aligned me with the wrong bird ? So that instead of hitting 82w I am hitting something else ?

Aside from a compass, do you recommend any tools that would help me orient the dish properly ? I am trying to figure out in what general direction should I point the dish up or down, left or right.

Thanks,

Manny

The instructions for your motor is what you have to read.The true south alignment is without using the motor.Motor should be at "0".Then adjust to your true south(copass rewading plus or minus diviation).Only after that do you use USALS to run to 82 W.After that you slowly adjust your dish elevation until you see quality on your receiver.Maximize it.After that you download some stations using blindscan/powerscan.You compare the stations you get to lingsat,that will tell you if you are on the right bird.Good luck,Reinhold.

Reinhold -

I read the instructions, however I still don't understand them. How can I setup the dish to point at the true south ?

It seems I am unable to get past this first step. Everything else is simple to follow. However getting the first bird with a rotor seems quite complicated.

What is the southern most bird to Miami, FL ?

Regards,

Manny

Reinhold -

How can I make sure that my rotor is set at 0. When I look at it is not at 0. If I go to the receiver (Viewsat Extreme vs2000) Motor --> USALS --> go to reference it does not go to 0.

What am I doing wrong ?

Regards,

Manny

It does not go to zero,because it was never set there.It goes back to the starting point.I am not familier with your motor.Some have little buttens on the bottem you can push to set it to zero.You could also use a 15V battery pack connected to the motor .My first motor came with one.You would connect that to the receiver side of your motor.
Maybe somenoe who is familiar with your motor can chime in here.
It has to be set to zero not using the receiver.
Reinhold.

not worth it guys

5 posts in 5 different threads (2 of which were OTA threads) in 10 minutes with the same thing

hmmmmm........

Das -

The rotor does have markings for the latitude.

If I setup the angle in the motor, is there a tool that will help
me figure out the angle in the dish ?

Is there someone here you recommend I talk to ?

Thanks,

Manny

What kind of tool can I use to setup the dish, if I do not know

To start out , look up your elevation for your due south sat . Go to Harbor Freight & buy a cheap angle finere . At a flat spot on the sat mounting bracket ( back of the sat ) , use the angle finder to set the angle fo the sat .

Now point the sat / motor assembly due south , with the motor in the middle position .

Wyr

Using the angle finder on the back of the dish, you will have to take into account the dish offset (22 degrees or so, which you will add to the reading on the angle finder).

Guys -

Thanks for all your feedback. As it turned out, I made a mistake connecting the cables. I am now up and running.

Thanks,

Manny

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)