Install I’m working on at a hotel

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Depends on the pet. Dogs stink, cats don't.

Actually depends more on the owner and if they clean up after their pet.

I had a customer about 20 years ago who was in a wheel chair in a house get Dish.

Nice guy!

He had a little dog and all it would do is piss on the carpet. It was so bad the carpet actually squished while I was walking on it. It was like someone poured candle wax on the carpet and it was still warm.

Anyways it was like 95 degrees outside and the guy had no air conditioning.

The house stank from the dog, and I could Bailey work inside. I had to take breaths outside, work inside and go back out for fresh air.

The Tv was next to the front door and I ran the wire on the outside of the house

Everything was fine until the guy put carpet freshener and ran the vacuum cleaner.

I lost it and threw up outside.

Not in any way this guy’s fault as he was disabled in a wheel chair. But he really should have not had a pet dog, or had someone to come by and walk it every day.

Hi

Is there technique to label the cables, to know to which room they go, or when they are getting connected? Any pictures with some samples?

Regards

Depends on the pet. Dogs stink, cats don't.

In general yes, but I have friends with dogs who don't smell -- not sure about the breed -- and I've actually had a smelly cat (like the song). Also, cats of both genders will spray to mark territory under certain circumstances.

Hi

Is there technique to label the cables, to know to which room they go, or when they are getting connected? Any pictures with some samples?

Regards

Of course, but that takes more time/cost so Directv installers aren't going to do that for you. Just stick a little tab on either end and write where it goes. Or put some color coded tape on the ends, whatever you like.

Hi

Regards
Screenshot 2019-06-29 at 7.58.30 PM.png

I was talking more about the scents they produce in their fur coats than the ones produced from urination/defecation.

Walk into any dog owner's house and you will smell them. They naturally emit a pretty strong smell. I've never noticed cats emitting a smell. I guess if you got in real close to the cat and gave a big inhale you could detect a scent but anything will have a smell if you do that. You get dog smell on you as soon as you pet one or it licks you and it is strong. I've never pet a cat before and then had a strong smell on my hands afterward.

I actually own ferrets and while they certainly have a musky smell it is not as pronounced as that of a large dog. I've found that dog owners will acclimate to their pet's smell over time and end up forgetting about it. That's why I certainly do find it rather hypocritical and displeasing when a dog owner complains about the way ferrets smell as they don't have a leg to stand on, LOL.

I can't believe they deploy those wimpy little dishes even on commercial buildings serving many customers. Bet all the guests will be thrilled when they lose TV every time it rains.
Couldnt agree more. Even when properly aligned. Dosnt even have to rain to lose signal.

It’s the pets that ruin these places.

I have been to a few places where they got monthlies with pets living in them. Most of the rooms stink.

Nothing against Pets, but they don’t belong in small hotel rooms.

I've never encountered any smells and my dog does not smell. Now do note that Motel 6's have done away with carpet and have hard faux wood tile floors these days.

Couldnt agree more. Even when properly aligned. Dosnt even have to rain to lose signal.

If you used an old fashion 2 meter dish it would still be vulnerable to rain fade. Rain fade at the Ka frequencies Directv uses for HD can attenuate a signal up to 100 db when it is really heavy, even a 20 meter dish wouldn't be large enough to completely eliminate it.

Reactions: c-spand
Sounds like the system wasn't designed properly. I've done lots of installs where a single Slimline with both multiswitches and SWM have fed hundreds and hundreds of receivers and their was no rain fade. If done properly its nearly the same quality signals as a single dish feeding a single receiver. Again, I prefer to use the larger Alaska/Hawaii dishes to feed the head end but a Slimline will do just fine.

I like DTV’s PQ and the Genie Mini is cool it’s like having a mini DVR. My signals are all in the 90’s, so, 100’s excel a couple are in the 70’s and HD stays out longer in bad weather than SD. I just wonder what will happen when they get rid of the SD duplicates.

Ya I don't understand why they can't/won't just put in the firmware for receivers to automatically switch to internet streaming of channels if the satellite signal goes down...

Ya I don't understand why they can't/won't just put in the firmware for receivers to automatically switch to internet streaming of channels if the satellite signal goes down...

They still don't have locals streaming in all markets for Directv Now, if they ever plan to offer such a feature they'd probably wait until all their markets are covered so it is easier to advertise without asterisks. Even then it won't be as seamless as some might want since the streaming would run well behind the satellite. It would also reduce the incentive customers to get their dish fixed if it automatically cut over to streaming but doing that streaming isn't free for Directv.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)