Install on ground floor with no cement...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Crunchy Eyeballs

Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
Upper Michigan
So i live in an apartment building (on the ground floor) and they wont let me pour cement in the ground..OR pour cement in a bucket and bury the bucket....they will let me use a non penetrating mount (usually used for roofs) I read somewhere that if you use these kinds of mounts on the ground you wont be able to put as much weight on it. This is the only solution that I have found for my situation. I guess I am asking for some guidance/other solutions. I also dont want to spend $80+ on a non penetrating mount and find out I cant use it on the ground.

Any information would be great and thanks in advance.

Also, I guess I am getting the new Directv dish, it comes with a bigger pole, the installer gave me the pole so I could figure something out, then when I do get something figured out I am supposed to call him back and then he can put the dish up and what not...

again thanks
Crunchy Eyeballs

Have you considered putting the post in a 5 gal. bucket filled with cement, but NOT burying it? Would they allow that? I've seen it done in several places and it would probably be OK. Not ideal, granted, but OK. :cool:

The non pen mount will kill the grass under it by blocking sunlight. Sod or seed will fix that. If you set the mount on level ground you can put as much weight on it as you want. Make sure the mast ends up plumb. Then you have to get the cables into your unit in a way that will not produce a tripping hazard or be prone to mowers and weed eaters. Making a cut in the sod and pushing the cable in will work for this. If kids climb on the dish they will break the arm off.

Good luck,
Joe

Have you considered putting the post in a 5 gal. bucket filled with cement, but NOT burying it? Would they allow that? I've seen it done in several places and it would probably be OK. Not ideal, granted, but OK. :cool:

This will not hold the KA/KU dish. You would need like a 50 gallon half full of cement to hold it proper.

thanks for the replies, I found online this thing that holds onto the pole and there are these spikes that hold the pole in the ground, has anyone tried this and does it work? and for the life of me I can NOT find what I am talking about any where online now!
if i do decide to go with the non pen. mount what is a good site to buy from?

thanks for the replies, I found online this thing that holds onto the pole and there are these spikes that hold the pole in the ground, has anyone tried this and does it work? and for the life of me I can NOT find what I am talking about any where online now!
if i do decide to go with the non pen. mount what is a good site to buy from?

I think what you are talking about is called a "gator pole" and they work in some soils.
You need a 2 inch OD mast. Don't spear underground utilities!

And you could try the advertisers on this site.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)