Install on Thursday

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Building

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
I've got an install scheduled for Thursday afternoon. Does the HD dish fit on the same size pole as used for a Dish Network dish? Does Direct do pole installs? I live in Central Iowa.

No! The DirecTV HD dish (AU9) goes on a 2" OD pole. I don't know if any Dish dish uses 2" OD.
DirecTV does do pole installations.

Cool!

No! The DirecTV HD dish (AU9) goes on a 2" OD pole. I don't know if any Dish dish uses 2" OD.
DirecTV does do pole installations.

Ok, great they will install a new pole then. I didn't want a dish on my roof, so now I hope he/she comes with some fairly new receivers and a SWM LNB, because I only have access with one wire to the finished area (where both HDDVR's need to be).

Don't expect a free pole installation if there is line of sight from your roof. You may not get a swm lnb, either. Not every area is getting them.

IDK What I have run into is if it ain't on the order D* won't even listen to a reason why. They refuse to use to let you use SWM, even if you add another tuner so it is over 5 tuners they wont add it.

Well, it's my house and no dish is going on my roof, and there is only one cable going to where it needs to be. I asked them to put the SWM on the order, and they said the installer would do what was needed. I haven't shut off my Dish Network and won't if I can't get the install I want. It really isn't anything hard, because inside is all set up already. I saw where someone bought a SWM setup form ebay. I assume they can they do the install with one wire without it.

Here's the deal: if SWM isn't on the work order - we can't take it off our truck, unless the customer pays for it (we'll get charged for it) pole mount isn't usually as big an issue, I normally will do a pole mount if free if the customer agrees to accept the responsability of burying the cable.
All that being said - the techs are getting screwed left and right - having to do custom labor for free.
Wesro - don't worry, I wouldn't want to touch a system with 2 H20's - I hope your insurance is paid up. cause they get HOT!

Here's the deal: if SWM isn't on the work order - we can't take it off our truck, unless the customer pays for it (we'll get charged for it) pole mount isn't usually as big an issue, I normally will do a pole mount if free if the customer agrees to accept the responsability of burying the cable.
All that being said - the techs are getting screwed left and right - having to do custom labor for free.
Wesro - don't worry, I wouldn't want to touch a system with 2 H20's - I hope your insurance is paid up. cause they get HOT!

How much extra does an HD SWM LNB setup cost? The pole would be right next to the house entry, so I could certainly bury that 5' length.

125$ or 150$ i forget what the backcharge is, but its cheaper to buy it on ebay and just give the tech 20 bucks or so to install it. and if you have a line of sight from the roof expect to pay 75-100 $ for your pole install. We dont really care if you dont want it on the roof, a pole is a pain in the ass to set up, and takes alot more time out of our day that we dont really have. Dont get me wrong if theres one there waiting for me i would gladly use it and not charge obviously. But if it can go on the roof, but you dont want it there, then your responsible for the custom work. And the old superdish's use a 2.0" OD so if you have that pole, then your good, but any other dish and your basically screwed.

edit as jetman beat me too it,

re edit, as liquidforce corrected jetman, i thought i was right, but dont know alot about e*

Last edited:
Well, it's my house and no dish is going on my roof.

Curious why you have anti-roof basis? Higher is always better from what I can tell. I guess that wouldn't matter if you have no trees around. I would have a slight worry about kids around giving your pole mount a twist.

Generally speaking, I think pole mounts look slightly ugly compared to a tight roof top mount. Assume you have eves, there is no danger of a roof leak from a mount.

I guess this comes under "Different strokes for different folks".

Curious why you have anti-roof basis? Higher is always better from what I can tell. I guess that wouldn't matter if you have no trees around. I would have a slight worry about kids around giving your pole mount a twist.

Generally speaking, I think pole mounts look slightly ugly compared to a tight roof top mount. Assume you have eves, there is no danger of a roof leak from a mount.

I concur. Your not going to have a leaky roof unless your install is drilling with his eyes closed. and in the hypathetical situation that he would do that, we use bishops tape (tar tap) underneath every hole, and every lag bolt. So even if we wanted to remove a dish mount, it ends up being a pain in the ass. We know what were doing, we do this for a living, but back to the pole. If you want it you want it, just expect to pay for it as its custom work. i dont think theyre ugly so to speak, especially if its gonna be 5' from your house, but keep in mind if theres like bushes or shrubs or flowers or whatever close to that location.... they will probably be trampled and destroyed, you can try to do 'landscaping' to make the dish 'pretty' after we leave if you like, but dont expect the tech to work around that. Over all just be nice to the tech, your ahead of the game just by being on this forum, you can talk with other techs and know what to expect, most customers are ignorant and dont. there are many threads on pole instalations where the techs are arguing with customers here. Point being a pole mount is a hard job, and were not paid to do these. even if you offered to lend a hand, dig the hole while the tech builds the dish or runs some cable, help him mix concrete, or better yet do it for him and you have absolutely nothing to worry about, just beware with hd, if the tech doesnt have a pole with him, there is no good way to get the install done. We can cap your existing pole... but.... well thats just sh!tty work.

Ummm, thats the H20-600 not the -100's

I will not have one on my roof either, much easier access on a pole in inclimate weather....
Last one I put on a roof, the guy called and wanted me to go up on his ice and snow covered roof to clean it off so he could have a signal again.

I refused and when the weather cleared, we moved it, he went a week without service.

So, unless there is easy access to said dish, I won't be putting them on roofs anymore.

I concur. Your not going to have a leaky roof unless your install is drilling with his eyes closed. and in the hypathetical situation that he would do that, we use bishops tape (tar tap) underneath every hole, and every lag bolt. So even if we wanted to remove a dish mount, it ends up being a pain in the ass. We know what were doing, we do this for a living, but back to the pole. If you want it you want it, just expect to pay for it as its custom work. i dont think theyre ugly so to speak, especially if its gonna be 5' from your house, but keep in mind if theres like bushes or shrubs or flowers or whatever close to that location.... they will probably be trampled and destroyed, you can try to do 'landscaping' to make the dish 'pretty' after we leave if you like, but dont expect the tech to work around that. Over all just be nice to the tech, your ahead of the game just by being on this forum, you can talk with other techs and know what to expect, most customers are ignorant and dont. there are many threads on pole instalations where the techs are arguing with customers here. Point being a pole mount is a hard job, and were not paid to do these. even if you offered to lend a hand, dig the hole while the tech builds the dish or runs some cable, help him mix concrete, or better yet do it for him and you have absolutely nothing to worry about, just beware with hd, if the tech doesnt have a pole with him, there is no good way to get the install done. We can cap your existing pole... but.... well thats just sh!tty work.

How about if the guy installs his own 2" pole in a good location, how do you feel about working with that type of situation ?

It really doesn't take that long to do it right, but the person needs to do it ahead of time before the installer gets there and needs to be set before hand as well.

How about if the guy installs his own 2" pole in a good location, how do you feel about working with that type of situation ?

It really doesn't take that long to do it right, but the person needs to do it ahead of time before the installer gets there and needs to be set before hand as well.

That is fine, just make sure it is 2" outside not 2" inside. The 2" you get a Lowes, Home Depot, Menards is all 2" inside and will not work. I have heard that people can get 2" from a muffler shop.

That is fine, just make sure it is 2" outside not 2" inside. The 2" you get a Lowes, Home Depot, Menards is all 2" inside and will not work. I have heard that people can get 2" from a muffler shop.

Muffler shops I think are light weight.
I got my 16' post 2" OD from a local fence shop.
They wondered what I needed it for, but thats OK !

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)