Install Question: Wait for HDTV Purchase?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gully

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 4, 2004
Folks, I'm scheduled for an install next week, but I may not have an HDTV by then. Is it better to reschedule my install to when I'll have the HDTV in my house, or is it okay to go ahead and hook up to my SDTV?

My main concern is with local OTA channels. What are the chances they'll come in after my installer's left and I'm setting up the new HD set?

gully said:
Folks, I'm scheduled for an install next week, but I may not have an HDTV by then. Is it better to reschedule my install to when I'll have the HDTV in my house, or is it okay to go ahead and hook up to my SDTV?

My main concern is with local OTA channels. What are the chances they'll come in after my installer's left and I'm setting up the new HD set?

Go ahead and hook it up to your SDTV.

Depending on your zip you may have your locals from the start (like in my case) or you will need to wait a few days for mapping. Again, SDTV is fine for this.

Switching TV's shouldn't have any effect at all. You're either gonna have them or your not. For what it's worth, I've been Vooming for 6 weeks now and still, impatiently, waiting for the new Sammy DLP's before I pull the trigger. Haven't regretted getting installed, setup, and familiar with Voom before getting a HDTV. Plus, there is a very clear difference between a SD broadcast and a HD broadcast on a SDTV set. Approaches DVD quality. I still have cable also and the SD channels on Voom are better than my cable.

The Voom stb puts out all connections simultaneously so don't sweat it. I had my Dish 6000 for 3 1/2 years before I purchased my pj and I used it on both a regular TV and my computer monitor. Watching the HD downrezzed on a normal TV makes all of your programs look like a DVD, the PQ is awesome, so don't wait, just do it!

If anything, waiting for your HDTV purchase gives you more options for taking it back. Depending on what you want to buy, somebody probably has one hooked up to Voom already, and you can get ideas and feedback through the forum. This is a great place for info, and welcome to the forum, gully.

gully: as others suggested, get it hooked up now but ask the installer for the component and DVI cables and save them for later.

gully,

And what are you planning to do with your SDTV after you get the HDTV? If you are thinking of a multi-room setup, keep in mind that if you don't install all of your STBs at once you might be required to pay additional $200 or so for the extra receiver to be installed separately. If you think you will need 2 STBs, it's a good idea to install them all at once, especially if the HDTV is coming soon.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for all the helpful input, folks. My current tv is a 40" Samsung (480p) EDTV -- nice for movies and some sports -- but I'm looking at the 40" Zenith R40W46. The Samsung does not accept a 480p input, but upconverts 480i to 480p.

It's a small room, and the depth of the set matters. I'd consider others, but I'll be on a budget. And I probably will need to sell my Samsung set before I purchase another.

And yes, it'll make all kinds of sense to try Voom for a while before deciding on an HDTV. Nice to hear about the PQ -- I'm mostly eager to get the Tennis Channel, and decent PQ is crucial for tennis.

The Tennis Channel is NOT HD and it is one of the worst looking SD channels from what I remember. I never watch SD so I can't confirm if it's improved any over the last 2 months.

I have an HDTV in the living room and a 27" Sony SD in the bedroom with Voom on both. Using composite video on the SD is better than DVD on most channels. Some like Comedy and HIST are sub par, but they are on the HD as well. A lot of people have posted about the sparkles on some SD channels. But i was very surprised with the PQ of the HD channels on the SD set. So go for it. When you get your HD set, just be ready to be blown away. I was.

I Don't Like The PQ On All The SD Channels That Are In The 300s. The Only Channel I Watch In The 300s Is ESPN HD & Most Of The Time It Looks Bad Because It's Not HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)