Install Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

md37793

Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Been reading here a while. This site is great for info. Installers, don't jump on me for second guessing, but I had to check with others on this board to see if my situation is strange.
Guys showed up 2.5 hours late to do my install. My cable box is on the opposite side of my house from my living room and I ordered an HD DVR so I needed a second DVR line installed. They said that it would take sixty feet of cable to get the DVR line from the sat to my living room and that would cost me around $80 bucks (DTV told me this was part of the normal free install becuase it was under 125 FT).
Second, they told me they could not mount the HD dish on the side of my house because, while I had a good line of sight mounted on the side of the house, they did not feel confortable with the dishes weight being supported by the house (I live in a new construction house that I has built 9 months ago..my neighbor has the same dish mounted on his house). They told me they would have to pole mount the dish and that would cost me $200. Now my install is going to cost me $280. I'm not happy. I cancelled the install and called DTV to see if what the installers said was true. While on the phone, the installer calls me and says that they will mount the dish on the side of my house for $75 plus the $80 for the DVR cable.
Called DTV back and they said that if I had the dish mounted on the side of my house I was not allowed to be charged and that they could not charge me for the DVR cable because I needed under the alloted amount under the free install.
Sorry for the long post, but does anything seem wierd about this attempted install or am I just being a pain. Seriously though, 200 bucks for a pole in the ground and 80 bucks for a cable that is supposed to be free. I have a new install set for monday with another installer.

They were tring to rip you off. You did the right thing by calling D. I'm not sure if they will mount the dish to the side of the house though. ( assuming we are talking about a Slimline) I just used the movers connection. They did a pole mount with Slimline and 2 6x8 multiswitches, 1 H20 and 3 SD receivers (I supplied the power passing spitters) I also had 9 of my own receivers that had to be connected. They never charged me a dime. The only problem was that I did not want the 3 SD units. My next bill I was charged for 13 receivers. I called D and got the credit and sent the extras back. I also helped the tech out quite a bit by assembeling the dish,setting the tilt and angle. (while he set the pole) Throwing the guy $20 didn't hurt either

you got your pole mount for free? I would rather have a pole mount, and as far as throwing the guy at least 20 bucks, I'm a huge tipper...I just hate being ripped off.

Pole mounts are free if there is a line of site issue but if its a customer request its a custom labor charge and we charge 75 for that and up to 30 feet of burying cable after that its 2 dollars a foot

Bottom line that guy was trying to rip you off. I have the same thing here...I know of a retailer that charges crazy amounts for simple or included things.

I wasn't there, but there are times and situations where this may not be an attempt to rip you off.

For the living room HD DVR, did you want a wall fish or was it going to go through the floor? Wall fishes are not part of your normal install, and as such may be subject to custom labor charges.

As far as mounting to the house goes, you failed to mention what type of construction/siding you have. The company I work for won't let us mount the dish to vinyl or aluminum siding, or masonry/stucco for damage reasons. Being as you said you had good LOS from your house, a roof mount is a viable option unless you said no to it. If you refused a roof mount, then yes, you have to pay for the pole and concrete because it will be done at your request.

The DVR cable was going to come up through the floor and I'm all for a roof mount. Now I'm pissed I'm not watching the new HD channels now.

Honestly I would do the pole mount yourself. I spoke with the guy that did mine and he told me mine was a heckuva lot better than what they do. He told me they charge 75 dollars. This is what you would get if the installer does it

6 foot 2" diameter pole

1 50 Pound bag of concrete

They put it in right when they get there, run the wires and hook the dish up last. So your dish may move a little while the concrete sets They will have to come back out and adjust it.

Here is what I did.

Get the installer back out and have him get a good place where the LOS is good

Dig a 3 foot hole

Order the Pole I ordered the Pole from solid signal. Here is the link for the pole if you want HD. They will bring the slimline
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=SKY5999

Get 4 50 Pound bags of concrete. (to be safe)

Put 1 or 2 bolts on the bottom of the pole so it cannot twist.

Then put the pole in the hole and also core it to the top. Let it set for a week and you are good to go for setup there. It will cost you around 50 - 60 dollars and you will get a better pole mount.

you got your pole mount for free? I would rather have a pole mount, and as far as throwing the guy at least 20 bucks, I'm a huge tipper...I just hate being ripped off.

Yes, the pole mount was free. It had to be close to 100 degrees that day. Not having to go on the roof made his job that much easier. This guy thought he was going to be here all day. But it's a brand new house that I had pre-wired with 13 lines. I even had the cables stripped for him and would have had them terminated, but I could not find my compresion tool. Anyway since it was the Friday of 4th of July weekend, he got to meet his wife at the beach early and was going to spend the rest of the weekend in town. As far as the tip goes, the guy was in shock. He said no one ever tips him. When he told me that, it was my turn to be shocked.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lightning Strike

NFL network in HD?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts