Install question

dnoz

Original poster
Oct 3, 2005
I am trying to install another receiver (301 receiver) for Dish network in my garage which is a considerable distance from my house. I have a old dish that I want to use and mount on my garage. Will this old dish work? It is not a dish 500 it just says dish network on it and has a Dual LNB not sure of the size. When I plug it in and do the setup on the TV the screen says the switch is not detected. I do not have a switch installed. The way I cabled it the cable goes directly from the receiver to the LNB. Do I need a switch installed? If so what type of switch do I need I am trying to use Satellites 100 and 119.

If I need a new dish where is the best place to find one?

Thank you.

I'm not sure if the dual LNB has switches built into it but you should at least be able to get signal from 119 or 110 on the 301, which will work with both DishPro and legacy LNBs/switches (you just can't mix the LNBs/switches)

he has a dish 300 and if all you want is the basic programming 119 is good enough for you, if not hunker down, buy a 500 dish with a DP Twin and your gold

To expand on what Dish Dude said...

Sounds like a Dish 300 (18")
That will get you one bird.
No switch required.
Run the switch test after you are aimed at the 119 satellite, and it'll be fine.

But, since you want both 110 and 119, this is a good deal on the Dish 500 with DishPro Twin.
No switch required here, either. The Twin LNB has it all built in.

Thanks for the replies and the site that sells the dish. Just to expand on it I setup everything and mounted the dish I constantly get this setup screen that says no switch detected and it will not proceed any further.

How do I get passed that screen to just use one satellite?

Hit Menu 6-1-1.

I agree with Dish Dude, you've probably got an old Legacy 300.

The receiver won't be happy until the dish is aimed. THEN you run a Check Switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)