Install questions for whole home dvr and media center dvr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Khurram

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 28, 2005
Guys-
I've been trying to get an answer from Dtv customer support regarding install questions but for some reason they haven't been able to help me out.

Here is my situation.

I currently rent and I have a 5lnb dish and two hd-dvr's (hr-23's). One in the living room and one in the bedroom.

My bedroom dvr is connected to my home network and internet via a direct ethernet cable from my router to that dvr. My living room DVR is not currently connected to a network because my router is upstairs while the dvr is downstairs and I can't run an ethernet wire from upstairs to downstairs nor does my dvr have wifi capabilities.

Here is my question:
If I wanted to get the whole home dvr capabilities and the new Media Center HD DVR that just came out what exactly would I need to install.

Is there a way that I could have that whole setup done without running any additional ethernet wires from upstairs to the downstairs living room? Does the new media center dvr have wifi built in? Would I need to run any additional coax cables from the dish on my terrace to any of the dvrs?

I basically need to keep all wiring the same way it is currently (both coax and ethernet) and hopefully can get everything else that is needed via wifi.

Hope this wasn't too confusing because Dtv can't seem to understand what i'm trying to say!

Thanks in advance for any help!

I currently have a SWim setup to the dvrs.
I want to replace the living room (downstairs) hr23 with an HR24

I am confused about why D*'s customer service could not answer your questions since what you need is fairly straight forward. The first question is whether you intend to replace one of the DVRs with the HR34 or add it to your system. If you want to add it to your system you will have 9 tuners to cover (2 in each DVR and 5 in the HR34). While I was typing you added the fact that you alread have SWM. You would have a SWM 8 setup now. Given the 9 tuners you will have, you will need a SWM16 unit. Your current LNB will have to be replaced with a standard LNB that connects to this unit. The SWM unit will require a separate power inserter (different from the one you have) which needs to be located in a weather protected location. Having SWM will provide the basic support for MRV that you need. You will need an external DECA unit for your HR23. The HR24 has the DECA built in. These are needed to carry the MRV signal between the various receivers. Of course, you also need to get the MRV authorization on all receivers.

Inserting a network connection to SWM is easy. You simply insert the D* wireless CCK in-line with one of your receivers. That will connect all 3 receivers to the internet. This will provide you with connections for On-Demand and other on-line items. I don't see what is so complicated with all this.

Last edited:
I am confused about why D*'s customer service could not answer your questions since what you need is fairly straight forward. The first question is whether you intend to replace one of the DVRs with the HR34 or add it to your system. If you want to add it to your system you will have 9 tuners to cover (2 in each DVR and 5 in the HR34). While I was typing you added the fact that you alread have SWM. You would have a SWM 8 setup now. Given the 9 tuners you will have, you will need a SWM16 unit. Your current LNB will have to be replaced with a standard LNB that connects to this unit. The SWM unit will require a separate power inserter (different from the one you have) which needs to be located in a weather protected location. Having SWM will provide the basic support for MRV that you need. You will need an external DECA unit for your HR23. The HR24 has the DECA built in. These are needed to carry the MRV signal between the various receivers. Of course, you also need to get the MRV authorization on all receivers.

Inserting a network connection to SWM is easy. You simply insert the D* wireless CCK in-line with one of your receivers. That will connect all 3 receivers to the internet. This will provide you with connections for On-Demand and other on-line items. I don't see what is so complicated with all this.

I am planning on changing the downstairs hr23 with the hr 34. Thank you for explaining this! I don't know why dtv couldn't help me out on the phone either!
So I will need one CCK, one deca, and one hr34 and I should be all set correct?

Given that the HR34 can record 5 shows and my current hr23 can record only 2 shows, would I need to run any additional coax cables from either the swim or the actual dish to accomodate the hr34?

Given that the HR34 can record 5 shows and my current hr23 can record only 2 shows, would I need to run any additional coax cables from either the swim or the actual dish to accomodate the hr34?
Nope. SWM only requires one coax. With SWM the channels are setup on just the one coax feed instead of using a separate coax for each tuner. (Can you imagine what it would look like with 5 coax cables going into an HR34? That would be a real mess.) And, yes you are correct with your equipment need assessment. You will have a total of 7 tuners with your proposed configuration which will be supported by your current SWM 8 unit. Also, with the wireless CCK you can put it right behind either receiver and insert it in the coax line to your receiver. This way there is no need to run a separate coax line back to your splitter.

Perfect!
Thanks for the help Bob.
Nope. SWM only requires one coax. With SWM the channels are setup on just the one coax feed instead of using a separate coax for each tuner. (Can you imagine what it would look like with 5 coax cables going into an HR34? That would be a real mess.) And, yes you are correct with your equipment need assessment. You will have a total of 7 tuners with your proposed configuration which will be supported by your current SWM 8 unit. Also, with the wireless CCK you can put it right behind either receiver and insert it in the coax line to your receiver. This way there is no need to run a separate coax line back to your splitter.

Khurram said:
Perfect!
Thanks for the help Bob.

To add on this, four lines will need to be ran from the lnb to the ground block assuming the system is grounded. From there four lines to wherever your current switch is. I hate running four lines. :)

DTV CSRs are not trained on installed equiptment except for receivers. This is because if they can't fix your problem over the phone, a service call is needed. The technicians know all that stuff because they install it. But even I could have answered that for you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)