Install Scheduled for Today: Last-Minute Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mgoblue99

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Hi. I have an installation scheduled for today and have a few questions. I just received a copy of the DirecTV Eqipment Lease Addendum, which states:

"If you fail to maintain your minimum progrmaming commitment, you agree that DIRECTV may charge you a prorated fee of up to $360 for standard receivers and up to $480 for advanced products/receivers ( e.g., DVR, HD, HD DVR, etc.)."

First, s that termination fee PER RECEIVER or one PER ACCOUNT?

Second, is there a "trial period" in which I can cancel and return my equipment without being tied into the $480 termination penalty?

Please let me know ASAP.

Thanks.

I don't have answers to your questions, but I do recommend that if you do go with install make sure you check all the channels to make sure you get all what you signed up for.

Hi. I have an installation scheduled for today and have a few questions. I just received a copy of the DirecTV Eqipment Lease Addendum, which states:

"If you fail to maintain your minimum progrmaming commitment, you agree that DIRECTV may charge you a prorated fee of up to $360 for standard receivers and up to $480 for advanced products/receivers ( e.g., DVR, HD, HD DVR, etc.)."

First, s that termination fee PER RECEIVER or one PER ACCOUNT?

Second, is there a "trial period" in which I can cancel and return my equipment without being tied into the $480 termination penalty?

Please let me know ASAP.

Thanks.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe those fees per receiver are charged if you cancel and do not return the equipment.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe those fees per receiver are charged if you cancel and do not return the equipment.

You are partially correct. The fees are per receiver, but do not go away if you return the equipment. D* has another set of fees they hit you with if you fail to return the equipment.

To the OP, a lot of people here seem to think that you have a period of time to cancel out of your contract without penalty, ranging from 3 to 90 days. While your state law may allow this, the terms of service/Lease Agreement you signed with D* offer no such provisions. If you state law allows you to cancel the contract without penalty, then D* is bound by that. Otherwise you're stuck with your contract.

IANAL and YMMV.

The termination fee is per account, based on the type of the receivers you have. If you terminate the account you must return the receivers or you will be charged the account termination fee and the non returned receiver fees. The non returned receiver fees are charged per receiver, and they vary from about $50 to $500, depending on the equipment. These fees were not mentioned in the OP but would be included.

D* gives you 3 days to terminate without any termination fees.:)

Thank you all for your help. It's actually going to happen tomorrow (Weds.) and hopefully I'll be up and running. I've switched internet providers earlier this week from Comcast, and once I get my D* up and running, I'm looking forward to heading over to my local Comcast location and dropping off my equipment and cancelling. I can't wait.

Do you have a source for this information, because nothing I've seen from D* says that?

It is correct. You if it is installed on Wednesday you have until Friday to call and cancel without the contract going into effect. You lose the 19.95 and any monies paid for the receivers.

It is a little known fact, and only the Cancelation people know about it for sure.

It is correct. You if it is installed on Wednesday you have until Friday to call and cancel without the contract going into effect. You lose the 19.95 and any monies paid for the receivers.

It is a little known fact, and only the Cancelation people know about it for sure.

Again, I'm asking for a source from D* that confirms this. It's one thing to say it, another thing to prove it. My concern is that if it's not an official D* policy, the CSR can revert back to the lease and stick you with the cancellation fees.

Thank you all for your help. It's actually going to happen tomorrow (Weds.) and hopefully I'll be up and running. I've switched internet providers earlier this week from Comcast, and once I get my D* up and running, I'm looking forward to heading over to my local Comcast location and dropping off my equipment and cancelling. I can't wait.

Who do you have Internet thru?
I switched from Charter to DirecTV with no regrets, DTV is amazing, I love NFL Sunday Ticket and the games in HD.
I kept Charter Telephone and Charter High Speed Internet, because they are cheap, but they are horrid with TV service.

It was a great day when I handed in my Comcast Box. It was the first time I smiled walking out of that Center. Thank goodness for some competition. Fios is great.
How did your install go? What was installed? Just curious if they showed up in the time frame that was allotted. If the install was good, did you tip the installer?
Don't hold me to this but see if the cancellation states 72 hours or 3 days and if it is 3 days then that may be business days excluding holidays and weekends. If 72 hours, then it is what it is. I doubt you will be worried about canceling unless your dish is obstructed.

My installation was @ the beginning of November, DirecTV = A+, I gave the installer 20$ in tips, he was awesome, little slow, but got the job done, everything worked perfectly and he did the job the way I wanted to :)

Install was pushed back until this upcoming week. We'll see how it goes...

So basically it's up to the CSR that you get as to whether or not they'll let you cancel?

Nope, you have to cancel with the retention department. They are not CSR's, but trained agents that only deal with retention type stuff.

They all know that you have three days, and I am sure it is in writting somewhere. Just because it is in writting doesn't make it fact. Look at Directv.com/agreements and look at all the fees stated that they could (but don't) charge for... ie replacement bill fee; service downgrade fee...

Since my HD locals are available on D* and my TVs have built in HD tuners, I'm getting the HR-21 DVRs. It is my understanding that these do NOT have the video-on-demand or remote-scheduling functions that are available on the HR-20. 3 questions:

1. Is that true?

2. If so, is there any reason to connect my DVR to the internet?

3. If I should be connecting to the internet, can you recommend a wireless bridge device to use? The cheapest one that works is what I'm hoping to find.

Thanks!

Nope, you have to cancel with the retention department. They are not CSR's, but trained agents that only deal with retention type stuff.

They all know that you have three days, and I am sure it is in writting somewhere. Just because it is in writting doesn't make it fact. Look at Directv.com/agreements and look at all the fees stated that they could (but don't) charge for... ie replacement bill fee; service downgrade fee...

I don't have any written proof, but I briefly considered cancelling two days after my install and they wrote the cancellation order and agreed to let me send back my HR-20 with a refund of the $199 I paid for it, with no questions asked.

Fortunately for me, I changed my mind... :)

Aside from DTV contracts each state law covers this. AND the description of the basic installation is so vague that even someone who just plays a lawyer on TV could void the contract for non completion.

The DTV system works better than cable, has more channels than OTA and is is constantly fixing problems and changing service levels. Go to a neighbor's house who has DTV and see what you think.
If you like it go forward. The problems you see on these sites are rare. My experience as an installer is that people who I connected in around 1995 are still happy customers.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)