Install using existing cable tap?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mini1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
Is it legal to unhook the cable co. line from the street at the main splitter outside (condo) and connect a SWM slimline to my unit? My unit is all home run and all the existing cabling can be used for D*. I can't drill any holes in the wall, so its either use the existing cable tap or run a line in the window and up the stairs (ugly).

I own the main feed line from the cable co.'s splitter going inside, right?

As a homeowner you own the inside wiring from the demarcation point to the TV set. The demarcation point is usually where the drop coming from the pole or pedestal connects to the ground block mounted on the side of your home.

In a condo you will need to work with your association to determine where your ownership of the inside wiring begins.

Jim

Is it legal to unhook the cable co. line from the street at the main splitter outside (condo) and connect a SWM slimline to my unit? My unit is all home run and all the existing cabling can be used for D*. I can't drill any holes in the wall, so its either use the existing cable tap or run a line in the window and up the stairs (ugly).

I own the main feed line from the cable co.'s splitter going inside, right?

Illegal ? No
The other side of the ground block (Demarc) Yes.

There may be splitters in the line that aren't compatible with Directv.

There may be splitters in the line that aren't compatible with Directv.

There is only splitter where the all the home runs come together in the main panel inside the house. It can be easily changed for SWM.

As a homeowner you own the inside wiring from the demarcation point to the TV set. The demarcation point is usually where the drop coming from the pole or pedestal connects to the ground block mounted on the side of your home.

In a condo you will need to work with your association to determine where your ownership of the inside wiring begins.

Jim

The cable line comes in underground and comes up out of the ground on the side of building nearest my unit, in a locked box that both the cable co. and D* have a key to, where the splitters are for the entire building.

Association will be of no help. They are against me at every step of the way.

I would not be so sure that D* employees would have a key to these boxes.

This was brought up a few weeks back here, some suggested buying you own key,they are available online from what I hear.

What you plan to do is done often. As others have mentioned, there are often splitters inside the building that are not compatible with the Directv system.
It is the need to run a cable from the dish to the entry point for your unit that will be the problem. And sometimes there are even splitters inside the wall outlets in your unit that may serve other addresses.

Tricky!

Joe

I would not be so sure that D* employees would have a key to these boxes.

This was brought up a few weeks back here, some suggested buying you own key,they are available online from what I hear.

They have the key. I had a site survey done and Mastec tech was able to open the panel with his key. He said I could connect into the tap, but I just wanted to make 100% sure.

You just want to get your line out of the CATV box. They would think nothing of cutting your Directv connection inside their drop box. Just tone your line and pull it ou of the box. If all lines are home runs you are good.

Joe

They have the key. I had a site survey done and Mastec tech was able to open the panel with his key. He said I could connect into the tap, but I just wanted to make 100% sure.

Thats good ..... I would not have expected the Contractor to have one, but seeing they do, thats a step in the right direction.

You just want to get your line out of the CATV box. They would think nothing of cutting your Directv connection inside their drop box. Just tone your line and pull it ou of the box. If all lines are home runs you are good.

Joe

The problem is that the box is huge. Its more of a room. It has a door and you can walk inside of it. There is no way to pull my line out of it. I have to enter the room with the line coming from the dish and then connect into my tap. I have to go over or under common condo ground for like 2 feet to get to it. That is the real problem.

If the condo association and maintenance is cool with the tech running a line from the dish to the lockbox, the I say, "go for it". Most likely the tech will just have to replace the splitter that is in your individual condo (most likely in the utility room or washer/dryer room) with a high frequency splitter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts