Install Wednesday: Any Tips?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DMK

Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Hey folks -- I am quite excited as I have an installer on the way on Wednesday to hook up my new DTV system.

I was a customer of theirs when I first moved in but switched to cable. I do have an old dish out on the house still but the cable guy brazenly cut the cables I had left from it running into the house when he ran new wires one day (it's a tight fit as my builder put the coax splitter IN THE DRYWALL if you can believe that so I had to cut a hole and install an access panel. Long story.)

Anyway, what I do still have are the RG6 wires that I ran from the panel up to my main set (2 of them, along with a 3rd wire currently carrying cable), a single wire that drops down in the wall to a lower jack to run directv and another single wire that drops to that same lower jack (2 coax ports) that carries cable and will continue to for internet. Finally, an older single RG6 wire (maybe not even RG6) that runs all the way up to the bedrooms which I don't expect replaced.

So, I went through and marked each wire so the installer can see what goes where and what is cable and needs kept. Hopefully that will help him.

What I'm wondering is there anything else I can do to prepare or anything I should ask for that I might not get otherwise? I have an HD-DVR for the main room, standard HD box (non DVR due to the $99 upgrade price) for the downstairs, and a non-HD box for the bedroom TV planned. Any particular receiver models I should ask for (or any I want to stay away from)? I'd like to be able to have at least dual tuner DVR in the main room so hopefully the boxes support that these days.

Oh also I do not have a landline connected anymore, have phone jacks but no phone service, will I have issues when I tell the installer this?

Anyway, any help anyone can offer up would be great - I just want to have a smooth install and do all I can to make it go as such. It's a bit nerve-wracking due to the limited amount of flexibility I have with running new wires.

Oh finally how many wires will he need to run into the house? Still 2 like it used to be or more? And how many wires does the HD-DVR need? 1? 2? HD box?

Thanks again.

DMK

You will be getting a different dish.
The recorder will require 2 lines. The HD & SD will each use 1 line.
That is a total of 4 lines.

The phones will not be an issue.
The installer MAY have access to Single Wire Multiswitch equipment. If so you need 3 lines and can probably use the cable runs.

Report how it goes.

Joe

Thanks Joe - I'll certainly report in.

When I had DirecTV a few years back I had two RG6 wires running from the dish into the house, into a multiplexer, and then 4 wires that ran out (2 to the DVR set, 1 to the downstairs set, 1 to the bedroom set). All 4 wires are still in place except the 2 coming into the house so hopefully we'll be ok. I just assume/hope he'll come in with all the hardware he needs knowing that I am hooking up 3 TVs.

Hopefully I end up with decent hardware. Seems the next big push will be for multi-room DVR access thru ethernet, so I'm sure I'll wish I waited when that arrives, but so be it.

Appreciate the reply.

your good to go. all new dtv installs are swm dont trip the installer will know what to do. if not just hit me back up and i can tell you what he should do.

your good to go. all new dtv installs are swm dont trip the installer will know what to do. if not just hit me back up and i can tell you what he should do.

Hey adam771,

"All" is a big word. I have heard "all" new installs.......that have more than 5 tuners.

Are you now installing SWM equipment to serve single recorders?

How hard to upgrade to new boxes and retrofit the SWM to existing accounts?

What market are you working in?

Joe

Okay, here's the report for anyone interested. Also some questions if anyone has a moment to answer.

Installer came today and took down old dish from 8 years ago, installed new 3 LNB slim oval dish. I am getting my HD locals just fine. New cable runs inside were not needed since I already had RG6 run to all the rooms needed.

Installer only needed to run a single RG6 line from outside into the house, which then went into a splitter box which then sent cables out to my 3 rooms. I also only needed ONE line to go up to the dual tuner HD-DVR upstairs which is pretty impressive. I needed two the last time I did DirecTV.

Installer DID bring a black box labeled SWM that I had to plug into the wall behind one of the TVs. Only one. This box has a one of the cables that comes in from the wall box go into it, and another come out and go to the television. This was only needed at one of the 3 TVs and requires a power outlet. Not sure what it's for but I guess it handles the load for the entire house.

I ordered a 3 room install and got as much as I could without having to pay up-front hardware costs. The items I got

HD-DVR: #HR21
HD: Model #H20
Standard Def: D12

Question 1: The standard def box is hooked up to a 720p LCD and only offers composite hookup and it looks AWFUL - I didn't really want to pay DTV another $99 for a receiver that I wouldn't even own. Anyone have any suggestions for a box I can get for back there that would at least do HDMI, maybe HD? Can I buy privately? DTV won't offer me a better SD box cost free, I assume.

Question 2: My HD-DVR is hooked up to an old projection TV that only has 1080i. No 720p or 1080p. What should I set the DVR to? I have native turned off. I would prefer my TV to handle the stretching but also want to ensure it gets HD signals properly. It is hooked up to the DirecTV box thru component video and HDMI audio.

Question 3: Am I charged any extra for having an HD box on an outlet over having an SD box? If I am paying 4.99 regardless of the box type maybe it's worth it to look into getting another HD box cheaply.

Final Question: My HD box is hooked up to a 720p plasma, which I also want to handle the stretch modes (the TV, not the box). Native is off. Do I set the box to 1080i or 720p?

Thanks all. Hope this post helps some people, too.

The items I got

HD-DVR: #HR21
HD: Model #H20
Standard Def: D12

It is to bad that they gave you a H20 over the H21 unless you 100% needed OTA on that box. In the future you will like to have an ethernet connection for that receiver.

Question 1: The standard def box is hooked up to a 720p LCD and only offers composite hookup and it looks AWFUL - I didn't really want to pay DTV another $99 for a receiver that I wouldn't even own. Anyone have any suggestions for a box I can get for back there that would at least do HDMI, maybe HD? Can I buy privately? DTV won't offer me a better SD box cost free, I assume.

You could always buy a HR10-250 or H10 off of ebay that is used. You should be able to pick one of those up really cheap. The only thing is that they will not pick up most of the HD channels on Directv.

Question 2: My HD-DVR is hooked up to an old projection TV that only has 1080i. No 720p or 1080p. What should I set the DVR to? I have native turned off. I would prefer my TV to handle the stretching but also want to ensure it gets HD signals properly. It is hooked up to the DirecTV box thru component video and HDMI audio.

Why didn't you use HDMI for both video and audio?

Your best bet on the resolution is to just try them all and see what looks best for you. Every TV is different so it does not matter what others think as you are the one that needs to watch it.

Question 3: Am I charged any extra for having an HD box on an outlet over having an SD box? If I am paying 4.99 regardless of the box type maybe it's worth it to look into getting another HD box cheaply.

You are charged nothing more for having another HD box after the first one besides the $5 fee that is on all boxes SD or HD.

Final Question: My HD box is hooked up to a 720p plasma, which I also want to handle the stretch modes (the TV, not the box). Native is off. Do I set the box to 1080i or 720p?

See answer to #2.

DMK,

I looks like the SWM (single wire multiswitch) reached you. You have the benefit of recent equipment upgrades not available in the past. Let us know how it works.

That box you mentioned for set #1 is a power inserter. It must be plugged in for the system to work. Previously the LNB (on the dish) got power from the receivers. This is a change. If you have a problem just make sure that plug is in.

I was advised to select all resolutions and let the TV select one for the format you are viewing. TV set performance is a whole other issue.

The HD charge & recorder charges are per account. Now that you are up and running try things out.

Know that older receivers are not compatible with the SWM equipment.

Let us know how it goes.

Joe

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I didn't look too closely at the SWM splitter in the wall. There are 2 boxes, the one with all the cables coming out, and a second unit that just needed to be at any of the TVs. That one just has a single in and a single out. But I suppose that does something that then carries back to the piece in the wall. Pretty neat.

What I'd like to do is potentially buy a used HD receiver that I can use in the bedroom in place of the standard receiver that just isn't putting out a good picture. I would like one with HDMI out that gets all the HD channels (including locals) and that is compatible with SWM. Is there a list of those I can find somewhere?

By saying let the TV select, does that mean I should turn "Native" to on? The last thing the installer told me before he left was NEVER set the boxes to "Native".

JAG - I am unable to use HDMI for video on my 65" projection because it has no HDMI in. I run HDMI to the receiver for the audio. Once I get a new TV I can run passthru with the receiver, til then I am stuck with component. Just waiting for prices to drop a bit more before replacing the main set.

JAG: Yeah bummer about the H20. I did not know the H21 had ethernet. That would be nice. I suppose there's no way to get it switched out tho.

Joe D: When you say "You have the benefit of recent equipment upgrades not available in the past" do you mean I can call and get upgrades easily to different boxes?

Thanks.

One more question while I think about it - If I wanted to just buy an HR21 on ebay, how likely is it that DTV will still consider this a "lease"? If I can buy it outright and then resell it if I ever wanted to, that would be more worth it to me than giving DTV $99 more and still paying a $5 a month extra charge. Also, the bill indicates that $5 charge is a "lease", so theoretically if I bought an HR21 that was owned, not leased, would I also not be responsible for the $5 monthy if I activated it?

My guess is gonna be that you take a chance in buying off ebay the the receiver is not owned but previously leased and by buying, even used you just inherit the lease...But is there any way to be sure?

Thanks,

D.

Only your first receiver is included in the package price & each additional receiver costs $5. Owned units show as $5 mirror fee & leased units show up as $5 lease fee.

What I'd like to do is potentially buy a used HD receiver that I can use in the bedroom in place of the standard receiver that just isn't putting out a good picture. I would like one with HDMI out that gets all the HD channels (including locals) and that is compatible with SWM. Is there a list of those I can find somewhere?

It will be very difficult to find a receiver that gets all the HD and locals that is used. Most of those receivers were all leased as they changed to that model once the MPEG4 boxes were released.

JAG - I am unable to use HDMI for video on my 65" projection because it has no HDMI in. I run HDMI to the receiver for the audio. Once I get a new TV I can run passthru with the receiver, til then I am stuck with component. Just waiting for prices to drop a bit more before replacing the main set.

I didn't even think of that but it makes perfect sense.

Thanks again for the info. I wish I would have known more up front as I would prefer to definitely have an HD receiver with ethernet especially if it's going to allow me to do DVR in other rooms. That bums me out. Does anyone think if I called about the H20 they could swap me out for an H21 free of charge? Is that that the latest? Are there newer/better DVR models than the HR21 as far as DVR, too?

Speaking of the HR21, any idea why one of the lights in the blue ring is out? It's the one right around 11 PM. I can't find it online anywhere, just that its 12 lights mean "status". I will probably turn them off anyway though the left/right arrow trick doesn't seem to work.

Does everyone leave their receivers on at all times or turn them off when not in use? Does that affect guide downloads or anything turning them off? My DVR seems really slow at getting guide info. Guess it has a lot to download for the initial bootup.

Here's a link to a finished H21 on ebay -- In reading this would you think this is a lease even though the auction didn't state that?

DIRECTV H21 HD RECEIVER - eBay (item 220325178913 end time Dec-11-08 07:48:57 PST)

I'd be willing to pay to OWN the box, but not if it's going to be a lease.

Thanks all, you are really helpful.

Status
Please reply by conversation.