Installation and Wiring questions

fishfreak53

Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
United States
I'm sorry if this information has been posted before, I did a search but I am not knowledgeable enough to know exactly what I'm looking for.

I am a new customer to Dish Network and for certain reasons opted to wire and install the dish myself. It may seem foolish, because I have little knowledge of what is required, but the decision has been made. So to get things started I'll let you know what I have. My programing is America's top 250 with HD. My Dish is oval shaped, has 3 LNB's and says Dish HD on it. My receiver is a DVR receiver model number Vip722k DVR.

So my situation is this. I dont have any coax RG6 cable ran thought the house, and My dish doesnt have any wires coming out of it, so I dont know where I should go from here? I only have one receiver, which i believe can run two televisions. One in HD and one in SD. Can anyone give me a crude setup of how many RG6 wires I need to run to my dish, and which ports I need to hook up to in the dish? Do I need a switch if I'm only running one TV or can I just run one RG6 cable from my dish straight into my receiver? My receiver came with a "splitter" that has one "input" and then three outputs, "Sat 1" "Sat 2" and "home Distrubution" also for what its worth. I'm assuming that goes to the back of the receiver?

Once thats all done, a short walk through of aiming the dish would be a huge help. I've looked online about elevation, Azm, and skew. Just dont know what setting I need my receiver to be on. My zip code is 49913.

Thanks for any help, you guys have been great so far!

-Nolan

Did you decide to go this route in order to avoid a 24 month commitment? It doesn't hurt to try and do it yourself but if you struggle you will save yourself a lot of frustration by just paying a professional to do it.

You'll need one coax cable from the LNB to the separator on the back of the 722 receiver. You will see the Sat1 and Sat2 ports on the back left of the receiver. You should also see a TV2 coax output (home distribution) that you'll run to your 2nd TV. I'm pretty sure the receiver are preset to have TV2 output on channel 60 so you will need to do a channel scan on your 2nd TV to pick up that channel. I'm not sure what the Dish settings need to be for your zip code, someone here may know or there are dish pointer websites that tell you.

This is just some basic info to installing. Hopefully it helps some.

Unless you have an awfully compelling reason (not being sent to jail would be one) you are in for a world of hurt if you try to do this with as little knowledge and equipment as you have posted.

I am not kidding.

Ohh this is easy, once you get the dish aligned all ya gotta do is run a single line from the dish to the triplexor behind the receiver, then run another line from the tv2 output to the other TV unless you get your hands on a diplexor to cut the route short some where between rooms. But I agree here with others, just pay for a tech visit if you don't want the 2 year commitment you can just pay the fee get it done right and forget about it.

I apologize guys, I think I came across as a little too incompetent in my first message. I have a masters degree in Mechanical Engineering and I just finished up my second term in the Marines. The reason I chose to do the install myself is partially out of stubbornness to pay for a service I am capable of doing (with a little help and research) as well as I live WAY OUT in the middle of no where, and the nearest Dish Provider is over 120 miles away. They said it could take up to a 3 weeks for them to send someone up here. So while I am ignorant to the fine details that are satellite television, I feel confident that I am completely capable of pulling this off.

I have my Dish mounted and coax ran through the house. From what I've gathered so far, if I only have one receiver then I only need one cable correct? Can someone tell me which port I need to connect to inside the dish? I have 3 ports and a LNB in port. And where I need to run the other end of that cable to? I have discovered mixed information on whether I can run that straight into the "Triplexer" (sp?) or if it needs to run into some sort of switch box?

Thanks again for any help that can be given. Sorry for such 'noob' and basic question. We all have to learn it some how I suppose.

I apologize guys, I think I came across as a little too incompetent in my first message. I have a masters degree in Mechanical Engineering and I just finished up my second term in the Marines. The reason I chose to do the install myself is partially out of stubbornness to pay for a service I am capable of doing (with a little help and research) as well as I live WAY OUT in the middle of no where, and the nearest Dish Provider is over 120 miles away. They said it could take up to a 3 weeks for them to send someone up here. So while I am ignorant to the fine details that are satellite television, I feel confident that I am completely capable of pulling this off.

I have my Dish mounted and coax ran through the house. From what I've gathered so far, if I only have one receiver then I only need one cable correct? Can someone tell me which port I need to connect to inside the dish? I have 3 ports and a LNB in port. And where I need to run the other end of that cable to? I have discovered mixed information on whether I can run that straight into the "Triplexer" (sp?) or if it needs to run into some sort of switch box?

Thanks again for any help that can be given. Sorry for such 'noob' and basic question. We all have to learn it some how I suppose.
It's all in the PDF link I provided in post #2. I don't have your masters, but it helped me with a friend's install...which I would never do again!! It's the aligning that's the killer.

Last edited:
Thanks KAB for the manual. Its help alot to identify what hardware I have. From what I've gathered so far, I have the DPP 1000.2 LNBF. So I should be able to run one RG6 coax cable from port 1 (Satellite 119W) of the dish to the Triplexor thats connected to the back of my receiver. Is that it as far as installation setup besides aiming the dish?

From the dish, you only need 1 cable from the dish to the receiver. Connect it to port 1 on the lnbf. If you have a diplexer, you can run the cable from the dish to your home cable junction and connect it to the SAT port on the diplexer. Then connect the line going to the receiver to the IN/OUT port, and the cable going to the 2nd tv to the VHF/UHF port. At the receiver, connect the cable to the single port on the triplexer, the "splitter" that came with the receiver, and connect the 3 ports on the triplexer to the matching ports on the receiver. If you don't have a diplexer, run the cable straight from the dish to the triplexer, but don't connect the home distribution port on the receiver to the triplexer. Instead, you'll have to run a cable from the home distribution port on the receiver to the TV2.

I hope you have the dish peaked already, or that you have a meter to peak it with. Otherwise it will be kind of a pain to peak it in with just the receiver. Once you do have the dish peaked, you'll need to run a check switch on the receiver and then let the receiver run through its downloads, and then call and activate the receiver.

Alright, which one of you is right? Is it just one or do I need all 3?

Here's a very crude MS paint image. Single line from the dish in. Diplexer is the next piece, that is where the signal is broken off to TV2. Cable to the back of the receiver, where you need a triplexer to break it into three cables. dish simple 722 install.jpg

Alright, which one of you is right? Is it just one or do I need all 3?

They're both right. You need all 3 sats, but one cable from the dish LNB. See, the LNB combines all three sats, and that one cable out has all three sats combined in that single line.

To add to my crude diagram, and the good PDFs linked and attached, here is the "At the home" diagram from mydish.com

http://www.mydish.com/support/at-the-home-diagram?WT.svl=contentArea

It shows a DPP 44 switch you will not need or use. You run a single line from the LNB on the antenna to the diplexer shown directly below the DPP 44 switch. You also will not need the power inserter shown as you approach the receiver at the bottom (it does show that it is only used for the DPP 44 switch). Also, there are two possible connections as you approach the receiver. The one I posted shows a triplexer, where that single cable splits into three. Alternate is what that diagram on mydish.com shows, another diplexer, then a separator. A triplexer is a diplexer and a separator combined into one.

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time and explaining thing for me, you guys are great. So I've got all the wire set up correctly, now I just have to aim the darn thing. Obviously the easier way would be with a signal finder, but I'm going to give it a shot without one first. Using the chart I found my specs to AZM-221 Elevation 28 and Skew 115. I'll go outside and mess with those settings and try to get it dialed in. I have my receiver on the "aim dish" menu. Is their anything I need to set up on my receiver in order to aim this dish correctly? Dish 300, 500, super? Adjust any of the transponders? Set it to Sat 119W im assuming? Do I have to run a switch check if im not using a switch?

Thanks again.

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time and explaining thing for me, you guys are great. So I've got all the wire set up correctly, now I just have to aim the darn thing. Obviously the easier way would be with a signal finder, but I'm going to give it a shot without one first. Using the chart I found my specs to AZM-221 Elevation 28 and Skew 115. I'll go outside and mess with those settings and try to get it dialed in. I have my receiver on the "aim dish" menu. Is their anything I need to set up on my receiver in order to aim this dish correctly? Dish 300, 500, super? Adjust any of the transponders? Set it to Sat 119W im assuming? Do I have to run a switch check if im not using a switch?

Thanks again.

Dish 500, don't select SuperDish.

Here's a good aiming site, you can put in your address, and then what sats you're aiming at:

http://www.dishpointer.com/

Select dish 1000.2 (110/119/129) to verify the azimuth and elevations you need to aim at. They also have a virtual reality app you can put on your phone that uses the smartphone's camera to show you where the sats are.

Once you get it aimed where you have a green locked bar on all three sats, on the Point Dish screen (Menu-6-1-1), then you go to "Check Switch", which will take you to the installation summary. Will only have 119 before you run check switch. And yes, once you have locked in sats, you'll select "Test" on that Installation Summary page, let it run, it will (hopefully) find 119/110/129, and have all green on that page. Then select Ok, then OK on the point dish page. You'll get a message asking you if you have a locked indication on the sats, you'll select yes, then it will do the rest of the software download stuff. You'll have to call dish to have them activate the receiver, and the receiver will tell you when to do it. If not, you'll know to do it if/when you get "Programming not authorized" with the corresponding 005 or 013 error.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)