Installation Help Dish Pro Plus

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

WiCkeDuDe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
Utah
Hello all,
I have a few questions on my install I want to complete. I am not a newbie exactly but im a bit confused on these new switches and DPP stuff. Heres the problem:

Current I have a DP twin (Not legacy) LNBF with two cables run into the house to a DVR 522 unit. I want to go to a 3 receiver system, probually add a 301 receiver.

As I understand this I cannot add a SW34 here as it wont work with the 522 and/or the twin? I would need to get a DPP44 instead for this to work correctly?

That is a very costly option. I dont have access to run another cable to the dish on the roof so I would like to do this with just the two cables I have now.

It is my understanding I could buy the DPP Twin and use a DS seperator to run the 522 and 301? This would be cheaper than buying the DPP44 switch.

Can anyone tell me if I am missing a better/easier/cheaper way to do this? Or is what I have researched correct? Any help would be great. Thanks!

Yes you would be able to use the existing runs you have now and swap the DP Twin for a DP+ Twin and put a separator on one of the runs and have the two outs from that go into the 522. The other run can then go to the 301.

The 522 will work with any switch and or lnbf configuration, a dp twin and 34 will work with a 522 easily. Go with the 34 switch added into the current system and all you have to do is run the third line from the switch to the 311's location.

Van said:
The 522 will work with any switch and or lnbf configuration, a dp twin and 34 will work with a 522 easily. Go with the 34 switch added into the current system and all you have to do is run the third line from the switch to the 311's location.

That would work as well Van but I noticed in the op's original post that he wanted to use the cabling he already has run.

Ill clarify a bit here,

I really can use a 34 switch here? I swear I read some other guys post doing exactly like me and he said his 34 switch wouldnt work with the 522 or the twin lnb. I cant remember exactly.

I can run a cable from the switch to another tv no problem. Its just the 2 lines for the dish run up through the attic and we finished off the basement recently so they are covered up in the ceiling. Running another to the dish would be a pain in the butt.

So just to confirm I can simply tie in a 34 switch to my 2 lines now and have output for up to 4 tuners? ill Id hae to do is run a 3rd line off the switch to the new tuner?

Yes you take the 2 lines from the Twin and feed those into the DP34. Then 2 lines will go to the 522 just as you had and then you have the ability to have 2 more tuners run off that switch.

DP34's can be had for cheap on Ebay. Thats all you need, and you probably won't have to change the wires to the 522 other than putting the switch in line.

Actually with a twin and serveral DP34's you can run alot of tuners.

Added in a DP 34 today and when doing a switch check is says one of my inputs is not connected right, will cause normal service problems blah blah blah.

I m trying to run a 522 and 311 receiver. Have DP twin feeding input 1 and 2 on dp 34. Two wires going to 522 from Dp34. One going to 311 from DP34. Cant figure this out. Everyone I talk to says this is wired right. If I take out the DP34 everything works fine. Any ideas here> Im thinking the switch must be bad. Any way to test this?

It could be at the most 50 ft for each run. I think I have found the problem. I was certain and was told I had the Dish Pro Twin LNBF. I decided for the hell of it to climb on the roof today and take a peek. I cant see a DP logo anywhere on it. Strange because I could swear I saw it on there before. I got the model number of the LNB. I cant find the thread that told all about the legacy twin and DP LNBFs and all that infomation. How can I tell again weither its a legacy twin or DP twin. Thanks!!

That would indeed seem to be the problem. I hae ordered a dp twin so I should be good in a few days. I was sure this was a DP but I guess I was wrong.

When did DP come out? I have 2 lines off the legacy to my 522. Isnt the 522 a DPP receiver? Can anyone tell me again how these are compatable. DPP is backwards compatable with legacy DP and DPP?

But legacy and DP will not talk to each other??
Thanks to all for the help

DP has been out for years. DPPlus is only about a year old.

A DPPlus receiver (x2x, 942), or DP receiver (the rest of the 3-digit model numbers) can use ANY "legal" LNB/switch setup. A Legacy (4-digit) receiver can use legacy or DPPlus (which emulates Legacy when needed).

A "legal" LNB/switch setup is either ALL Legacy, or ALL DP/DPPlus. There's too many variations of DP/DPPlus to list here what's good and what's not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)