Installation Horrors

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rbrt67

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
I'm right here
I love to read all the customer complaints about the techs on these sites because I am amazed at what some techs do. I also like to read the ways they put on to make it look like the techs are complete idiots. Now I want to read about some of the worst installs that the techs have ever had to do. Example: filthy houses, idiot customers, and the ever popular customer that tries to tell you how to do your job. These are people that second guess everything they are told because their brother installed his that way. Never thinking that he is probably the 15th install you did that week and just one of the thousands you've done in you time as an installer. Just want to her some horror stories. I have a few myself but I will share later.

im not a installer but i did hire one for my s-dish a while back, he came to my home said he could not get the 105 bird was here about 2hrs he said no way. he got 110 119 but not 105 he left charging me 50 bucks also kinda leaving me hanging. i then called my brother he came he i got it together another ripp off from dish lol

I love to read all the customer complaints about the techs on these sites because I am amazed at what some techs do. I also like to read the ways they put on to make it look like the techs are complete idiots.

Most installers I have had at my home were.

I'm a tech myself and have been in some bad situations before. I have knelt on carpet to find it is soaked with dog urine. (nothing like smelling like pee for the rest of my day). I have had to knock cat feces off of a power strip to plug in a reciever. I have been in a crawlspace and heard a toilet flush and then all of ot hitting to ground under the house. There is actually an account from D* that has a permanent note on it that I will never go back in that house because I will not take the roaches home with me. (they were everywhere!!) Its pretty bad when you have to put the shoe covers on because you dont want to get the dirt from the house on your shoes. Maybe I work in an area with more bad houses than usual, but I'm sure all techs have to deal with the same.

Wow, and I felt bad that my house was just a little messy and there were dirty clothes on the bed when I had directv installed a few months ago. I even didn't make the guy go down in the basement to run the cable.

I'm a tech myself and have been in some bad situations before. I have knelt on carpet to find it is soaked with dog urine. (nothing like smelling like pee for the rest of my day). I have had to knock cat feces off of a power strip to plug in a reciever. I have been in a crawlspace and heard a toilet flush and then all of ot hitting to ground under the house. There is actually an account from D* that has a permanent note on it that I will never go back in that house because I will not take the roaches home with me. (they were everywhere!!) Its pretty bad when you have to put the shoe covers on because you dont want to get the dirt from the house on your shoes. Maybe I work in an area with more bad houses than usual, but I'm sure all techs have to deal with the same.

I've been installing for dish foe 4 years now. I'll remember this one install that I was on for the rest of my life. Just been on the job for three weeks( Had a partner,Thank God ) House a total mess,S*** on the floor,Nasty diapers,Trash everywhere. Go outside and it had this awful smell around the house. Pulled the under pending out form the 1960's Double wide and saw that there wasn't
a pipe connected to the sewer line. It just ran straight down on the ground. Used diapers were thrown out the bedroom window. Thia was back when the super dishes sometime came in a kit. Needless to say we couldn't find the box after we install the dish. This was a two rm hook up. Tried to get into one of the rms and the door was jammed shut of junk and lots of spider webs. If we didn't need the $ back then than we would not have done the job.
If I ever run into that again I'll run the other way.
Nate

Lets see here...

Installed a E* AEP package HDDVR the works on a trailer with no front door and holes in the floor.

This place [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93f0kubHw6I]YouTube - The Crap House[/ame]

Also rolled up on a modular that the sewer line was broken, had a good foot of sewar water under it.

The customer that would not let me leave after I told then they had no line of site, because her brother said it was B.S. that trees will not block the signal. You could not see the sky from the forest this lady lived in.

The customer's son who came out and started to threaten me with a hatchet.

The customers house that smelled so bad of cat pee I puked. Then saw the place where the cat pee had formed a stalagtite off of a chair.

The house where the dog "oh crap thats a rat" tried to steal my tool bag.

The bazillion trailers that have only one small place to get under it, and nobody has been under there in 30 years.

I could go on all day.

I'm not a SAT installer but I am a mechanical contractor and I have a good story ....

So I'm in this house, repairing a leaky shower faucet set and have to get into the daughters bedroom closet to gain access to the back of the casting ... the mom says "no problem" and let's me into the room. Crap everywhere ... clothes, shoes, typical girls room. So I go into the closet and start moving the shoes and clothes hanging on the rod over to the bed area. As I grab for a box of shoes I see a box beneath it with some odd pictures on it. ( It was kind of dark in the closet ....). Anyway, I grab my flashlight to see what it is and HOLY CRAP !!! It's a 12" rotating, thrusting, vibrating dildo !!! :eek: :eek: :eek: So, there I stand, PRAYING that the mom doesn't come in while I'm holding this box, thinking "Where the HELL can I put this thing while I work?" So I stash it up on the shelf above the clothes rod, behind a stack of fashion mags and carry on ....

Later, the daughter comes home, finds her door open, closet re-arranged and sees me in the hallway. I say to her ... "Uh, miss, I, uh, came across a personal item of yours when I had to go through your closet wall ..." She turns BEET red, stammers something about it being a gag gift she had received and stands there dumbfounded. I try to put her at ease saying it was no big deal but I think she knew what I was thinking. (The box this thing was in was WELL worn and had been removed and replaced from it hiding place MANY times ....) :D

I'll never forget the look on her face ....

UB.

Last edited:
Thats nothing, JosephB. Most techs that have been doing this long enough have learned how to block certain things out. If you house isn't incredibly dirty and stinks, they won't even notice it. I've learned how to block out almost everything. Barking dogs, screaming kids, clothes everywhere. I just step over what I can, move what I need to, and basically just look at what I'm doing and don't pay attention to anything else. Installs will go faster and thats the main goal of any installer is to do his job faster. At piece rate pay, time=money.

And for you, outerub, I may have one better. I was at an install that required me to move a large dresser with a LOT of crap on top. Rather than move all of it I asked the customer if she would help hold things in place while I slid the dresser out. Now, out of habit, I always pull out the top drawer a little to get a grip of the dressers top. I pulled out the drawer, put my hand in and moved the dresser and noticed she was acting a little strange. I looked down and it was a drawer full of beads, vibrators, handcuffs, lube and god knows what else was in there. Talk about lost for words. You had to let the girl know what you saw, I had to look her in the face with a drawer completely full of such items still sticking out in front of me. Needless to say, she didn't have much to talk about afer this.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts