Installation of dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The guy that owned the dish previously fpund most of the parts I need so I purchased the 3 inch pipe yesterday . I am preparing to dig the hole today and I purchased extra bags of concrete mix. I hope Sunday to figure out most of what I need so that the order can go in soon.

I picked up the wrong size pipe so today I went and picked up the proper one and I am ready to start. I hate to admit when I make a mistake but I have to be honest. More later.

44 --80# bags of concrete, pipe checks out perfectly. The guy that I obtained the dish from gave me his old receiver General Instrument 450i. It has the polarity that I will need to run the wires in to the receiver. I need to sit down and attempt to figure out what I need.

huh?

Did you say 44 80 lb bags of concrete? :eek: Either you're panning a walkway to your dish or it's a big hole! :D j/k

What size hole did you say that was? Because I'm looking at setting up a 7.5' mesh dish soon and I'm curious.

An 80lb bag of concrete mix only does about .6 cubic feet (according to an online concrete calculator). To get one cubic yard of concrete, it would require 45 bags. Figure 4 foot deep, 1-2ft wide at bottom, and 3-4ft wide at the top, and you're at a cubic yard pretty quickly.

I believe my pole for my 10ft dish is sunk a little over 4 feet, but less than a foot diameter at the bottom, and maybe 3 feet around at the top. I have no idea how much concrete is actually on that pole, but I wouldn't be suprised at it being a cubic yard. Of course, I've also put a 7.5 foot mesh dish on a wooden fence post with no concrete (just tamped down dirt), and it worked (for analog c-band) for the year or so that I used it there.

Well I know its apples and oranges, but my Primestar dish(and I know its alot smaller) was in a hole about 1 ft across at bottom and about 18-20 inches across at top and about 2 ft deep and that was I think 4 maybe 5 bags 80 lb bags. Soooo...I'm thinking a hole even twice that size. Now there was concrete left on the pole when I poured new conctrete around it. So lets say that amounted to maybe 2 additional bags at most....dunno.

Not trying to argue...just thinking out loud. ;)

My hole was 3 foot square and a good 3 foot deep. Any idea on which receiver would be best for me? Is the mercury II the best or are there others? I am holding back as I have doubt and am not sure what to order. The receiver that came with the dish is old-General Instrument 450i . I feel that they could not master the dish with this receiver so they removed it to storage.

Just thinking square and not round (so I don't have to do more math). 1.5ft X 1.5 ft X 2ft (approx of your primestar hole) = 4.5 cubic feet

If you double those dimensions, then you more than double your amount of hole. 3ft X 3ft * 2ft (approx double) = 36 cubic feet (which should take approx 60 80# bags of concrete)

Just thinking square and not round (so I don't have to do more math). 1.5ft X 1.5 ft X 2ft (approx of your primestar hole) = 4.5 cubic feet

If you double those dimensions, then you more than double your amount of hole. 3ft X 3ft * 2ft (approx double) = 36 cubic feet (which should take approx 60 80# bags of concrete)

Has to be some confusion somewhere. No way I would have used 30 80 lb bags on my Primestar. And taking away the old concrete left on post, that may add 2 bags? Hmmm dunno.

P.S. I appologize if I sound like I'm arguing...because I'm not. Again just thinking out loud :)

i know there is a lot of talk here about installs and i'm sure it varies across the board but i know when i set my 10 ft odem mesh dish 10 years ago i used 5 bags and the pole is about 16 ft long with 4 feet in the ground. Now where my install differs is I dug 8 inch trenches 2 1/2 feet on each side of the pole (makes it look like a giant plus) so 2 bags went in the bottom of the hole and 3 bags in the plus. I've never had a problem with it.

my primestar mounts i use only 2 bags

The last pole I planted, was a 10'x3 1/2" schedule 40 pipe. I set it 4' into the ground and used 3 @ 100 lb bags of Portland Cement with washed sand and #67 granite rocks. I drilled 3 holes and tapped threads and screwed 3 bolts into it below the surface, to keep it from turning. I did not put cement into the pipe, and don't think it needs it. I let it set for 2 days before putting a 10' mesh on it. So far it's holding up good against the wind, which I think is the only thing that could possibly alter it. Don't know how much wind it resisted, but a tornado directly missed it by about 1200 feet. A tree twisted out of the ground and came down about 15 feet from it, just missing it. Several trees around it had twist damage, but it survived. But I will say that 40-50 mph gust will cause pixelation on the 4dtv. But that is very rare....

Al

My soil is very sandy and easy for an older man to dig out the hole. Now recommend some good receivers that have the most and also have the blind scan--please. thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)