Installation problems... who can help?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cybersonic

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2005
Hi guys,

I just tried my very first installation...
Dish is set up for IA-5 (97W). I'm at N34.12 & W84.19. Calculated Azimuth (magnetic north) to be 206 degrees, and Elevation = 48 degrees.
Satellite finder SF-95 shows signal around 90.
Using ASC322 standard LNBF (LO Freq 10750).
Set up receiver (coship CDVB5300B) for IA-5, put 10770 in both LO FREQ1 and LO FREQ2, put all the settings for 22kHz/0-12v/DiSEq/C-Ku at 'none'.
Signal shows around 60, quality around 45.
Did a channel scan for the complete IA-5 (all transponders) => can't find any programs.

Any ideas?
Thx,
Chris.

Use the quality meter to aim the dish, forget the signal strength. You have to enter the coordinates of a live TP./Channel on the satellite first. For IA-5 I use the below....

11836 Freq.
V
20765 S/R

And the LNBF L.O. Should be 10750

After trying the above rotate the LNBF slightly to get as much quality as you can,hope this helps.

no luck so far...

I actually had 10750 for LNB freq1 and LNB freq2 - typo in my first message.
However, no luck so far... :(
Basically the quality bar hardly changes at all if I start moving the dish around (I've tried small steps to the left and to the right, and also with a slightly higher and lower elevation) - it always stays somewhere between 43 and 46.
I'm at a loss what to try next :confused:
Is there another satellite I should try as my first one?

IA-5 is as good as any satellite to use really unless there are line of sight doubts? I would try a reboot then a factory default if all else fails. Maybe you have tried this already.

cybersonic said:
I actually had 10750 for LNB freq1 and LNB freq2 - typo in my first message.
Don't know anything about a Coship Receiver, but on my Ultra if I get two
LNB frequencies I have the LNB set to "Universal." If you are using a Standard LNB, shouldn't LNB be set to "Standard"? Then again, Coship menu
may be completely different than Ultra.

Lnbf

On the Coship, there are 3 options for LNBF:
1) Normal
2) Univ.
3) LNBF

If I select LNBF, the LO frequencies are fixed to 5150/5750 I believe - I can't change them
If I select Univ, it fixes the LO frequencies to 9750/10600 - I can't change them
If I select Normal, it puts the LO frequencies to some values (can't remember which, but not 10750) but I can change them both. Which is what I did - I set both to 10750.

Is the position of the LNBF inside the mount (closer or further from the dish) very important? I have about 1.5 inch room to move it closer or further to the dish. Right now it's at the position that puts it as far away from the dish as possible. Anyways, I'll play with this a bit when I get home tonight.

Thx,
Chris.

You are at the right place with the LNBF in the holder, as far away as possible from the reflector, after you are finished pointing the dish you can try moving it closer watching the quality meter but most of the time I find the best signal as far away as it can go.

My BEC-DBS 2000 does the same thing, I set both LNB settings to 10750 on standard LNBF.

Hooray!!!

Hooray!! I found IA-5 tonight!
Actually, it was my wife who helped me find it! I'm almost too ashamed to tell the story, but here goes anyway... - there's a morale to the story...

I had setup the test system in my garage, facing out to the sky. I'd tried about everything I could think of, redid the pole setup at least 3 times to make it absolutely plumb, etc. etc. but as I told before I never got a quality level higher than about 45. It was driving me absolutely nuts... :eek:
Anyways, I was absolutely convinced that I had a good view of the sky as the dish was practically outside, but to no avail. Any search I tried gave 'no programs found'...
So, tonight I'm about ready to give up after another hour of trying stuff, my wife comes into the garage, I start venting my frustration and she says, 'but shouldn't this dish be completely outside?' I go, 'well no, it has a good view of the sky between 20 and 50 degrees so we should be fine' but then I think, what the heck, let's try to move it out a bit. Well what do you know... I move it less then 10 inches, quality level on the receiver flies up to 95, I do a search in IA-5, and voila, 1 minute later I have dozens and dozens of programs :)

As for the morale, I think there's several in here... you pick ;)

Anyways, if you can't tell by now, I'm ecstatic! Can't wait to mount the SG2100 tomorrow and do some more tests, then move the whole rig to the roof :) This will be a fun hobby!!

Nice Story : ) Overhangs cause more trouble than whats in front of the dish (tree's...) in my experience, the rest should be easy now!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)