Installation Question

Poosh

Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
JUst a quick question for you all. I am upgrading to HD and getting a 722 and they are going to install a new dish one that can see 129 also. If for some reason such as trees that they would not be able to get the 129 at all or low signal strength. would it be possible and or out of the relm to request and want the installer to install a second dish pointed to the 61.5 so I could get the hd channels?

Thanks!

You can also point a second dish at 129 if line of sight is an issue, but most likely it wont be. Pointing to 61.5 may also work, but your locals may not be on there. Where are you located?

Ponca CIty, OK we have OKC locals i looked on the sat map listed elsewhere in the forum and it showed the okc HD locals on 119

We get 110 and 119 at around 105 signal strength but the installer that came last week would not install new dish said trees would give problem for 129 but he was not really pleasent and from when he showed up on site seemed as if he did not even want to do anything. But he wouldn't even try to install he just looked at it said nope won't work and left. I called dish to complain and they are sending someone else out today. Hopefully today's guy will actually attempt it but if for some reason he can't get the 129 after actually installing and trying I wanted to see if there is any alternatives to still get HD. I the sw look to get 61.5 is perfectly clear. but i still think with the dish we have now being so strong we should get 129 but I guess we may see this afternoon. But I was just wondering if that would be an option and if that is "to much" to ask of an installer to do.

It all depends on the installer, there is many good installers that will go above and beyond to do it, unfortunately there is the lazy installer out there lurking as well.

With this being said, there are some customers out there as well who just think they are getting a lazy installer trying to make the impossible, possible.

I've once went to a home in Michigan that is surrounded in a forrest, and the only way I could find LOS to 119/110/61.5 with with three seperate dishes placed all over the owners property, it took me about 8 hours or so for the install, I got alot of heat doing the install because another lead tech said it couldnt be done having quality assurance trying to chase my tail and management following me, but all in all I was in the clear and the system still works flawlessly and will for years to come. That was pretty much an abnormal install in which I doubt very few will ever get that as it's not part of a standard install for what I had done, it shall be considered custom work and I feel that customers should pay well extra for something like that, especially as the satellite industry for installers in todays market sucks and is going down hill with not to mention of the oh so great economy our leaders have led us to... it'll be hard to find a tech that will spend the time to do something like that for so little.

Now if I had climbing gear and knew how to climb poles like I do now, man would I of had fun installing dishes way up there. ;)

61.5 is to the south east but should be a valid option. If you have trees just to the right (SW) of the dish then 129 could be a issue. It is 9 degrees to the right of 119. You could also tell him to use the second dish and find somewhere 129 would be fine. If there is nothing on 129 you need 61.5 is probually better anyways.

JUst a quick question for you all. I am upgrading to HD and getting a 722 and they are going to install a new dish one that can see 129 also. If for some reason such as trees that they would not be able to get the 129 at all or low signal strength. would it be possible and or out of the relm to request and want the installer to install a second dish pointed to the 61.5 so I could get the hd channels?

Thanks!

Are you west or east of the river? East gets Tulsa locals which are so so in standard but hard to get at all in HD there. They are not on 129 though. The Okc spot beam is strong there but the zip code decides that you get Tulsa. Some folks give a 74601 address but have it installed out East. I install out of Stillwater and have also used a 2nd dish for 129. If your guy has a bird dog or similar meter he can find it. I charge extra for that. I'm a contractor for a retailer not DNS so I can do that. Best of luck.

We get 110 and 119 at around 105 signal strength but the installer that came last week would not install new dish said trees would give problem for 129 but he was not really pleasent and from when he showed up on site seemed as if he did not even want to do anything. But he wouldn't even try to install he just looked at it said nope won't work and left. I called dish to complain and they are sending someone else out today. Hopefully today's guy will actually attempt it but if for some reason he can't get the 129 after actually installing and trying I wanted to see if there is any alternatives to still get HD. I the sw look to get 61.5 is perfectly clear. but i still think with the dish we have now being so strong we should get 129 but I guess we may see this afternoon. But I was just wondering if that would be an option and if that is "to much" to ask of an installer to do.

An experienced installer can tell just by looking thru his inclinometer if he has Line of Sight to the 129 and doesn't waste time "Trying it".

As a lot of posters can tell you on here, the 129 sat is a "problem child" and you have to absolutely sure about the line of sight to it and not "umm, maybe" like an inexperienced installer would.

No offense to you as I have no idea of your installer's ability or frame of mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts