Installation questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fta-amateur

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
New Jersey, USA
I'm trying to get some FTA equipment installed. Is ftainstall.com a legitimite directory?

I contacted some installers and received estimates between $190-$250.

Is that reasonable? Do satellite installers typically have insurance in case of an accident? Are there any questions to ask to find out if the installer is legit?

I'm looking forward to chatting on this forum and learning about satellite technology. Is there a satellite TV IRC chat?

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!! Yes ftainstall is legit. Some have insurance some don't just ask. Ask how much real experience that have with FTA and do they have their on set-up.

What you might want to do is see if there's someone on here that's near enough to you to help you setup your system. You'll learn far more that way than just having someone do it for you.

Half the fun for me was/is learning to do it myself. There's nothing quite like locating that first satellite then doing a blind scan and seeing channels show up!! Well, there is ONE other thing that's more fun but we probably shouldn't go there!! :D

OH, and welcome to Satguys!!

What you might want to do is see if there's someone on here that's near enough to you to help you setup your system. You'll learn far more that way than just having someone do it for you.

Half the fun for me was/is learning to do it myself. There's nothing quite like locating that first satellite then doing a blind scan and seeing channels show up!! Well, there is ONE other thing that's more fun but we probably shouldn't go there!! :D

OH, and welcome to Satguys!!

I don't know about more fun for the other thing. It may be better at the moment but a lot worse can come from that than not finding a signal. Most of those things lasting at least 18 years.

Thanks. The install is going to be a chimney mount for a 30 inch dish and coolsat receiver. I asked the installer to put it to 97W.

I tried quite a bit already to get the signal from the ground with a wooden (leveled) platform but never got anything.

Eventually I'd like to run the feed into a DVR or computer to record the streams.

If anyone lives in North NJ and would like to help, please let me know. I'm pretty good with 3d printing / programming and could return the favor.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)