Installation site

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sweepy1

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
Apex NC
My new equipment is due to arrive Monday so this weekend I am going to plant my pole for the motorized system.

I have been reading so much from so many places I am a little confused.

I live at Zip code 27502 and I am trying to find out exactly what the farthest points on the compass I will need lineof site to. Both East and West. I want to insure Ican hit all the birds.

What tool should I be using to figure this out?

By using Sat Finder I believe my Lat is 35 deg 43.350 and long 78 deg 50.448

I am guessing that 263 is the farthest west I will be going and 151 will be th farthest eastward.

This look good?

Thanks in advance

Sweepy1 said:
My new equipment is due to arrive Monday so this weekend I am going to plant my pole for the motorized system.

Don't forget to water it! If you read the long thread - "I will not admit defeat", you will find all of the awesome help and tips I got for my new system last week. The key is to listen to what the fellas here have to say, read that thread and DON'T give up! It IS worth it! GOOD LUCK! You will LOVE it!

Sweepy1 said:
I live at Zip code 27502 and I am trying to find out exactly what the farthest points on the compass I will need lineof site to. Both East and West. I want to insure Ican hit all the birds.

zip code 27502 is at 35.72N 78.84W

if you have a good LOS you should be able to get all the way over to 129 (IA-7). That is at 23.4 elevation, 254 azimuth.

Going east, you could hit Hispasat 1C at 30 degrees.
24.4 elevation 127 azimuth

So I would take a compass and just check to see what you have for a line of sight. see if there are any tall trees in the way, obstuctions, etc.

If you don't want Hispast and only want to go to say Amazonas at 61, that is at 44 elevation and 161 azimuth..so your numbers were close :)

Great

Iceburg,

You mean I do not need to go all the way to 263w.? According to my satfinder I will not be able to hit about 10 differnt sats that are between 245 and 263. I am also using the true azmuth settings not magnetic/ CorrecT
g

Now I am confused...Satfinder puts Echostar 4 at 263w...but http://www.hollsco.com/Products/SatCalc/index.asp puts it at 235.6........HELP !!!!

Which is correct?

Last edited:
Sweepy1 said:
Iceburg,

You mean I do not need to go all the way to 263w.? According to my satfinder I will not be able to hit about 10 differnt sats that are between 245 and 263. I am also using the true azmuth settings not magnetic/ CorrecT
g

Now I am confused...Satfinder puts Echostar 4 at 263w...but http://www.hollsco.com/Products/SatCalc/index.asp puts it at 235.6........HELP !!!!

Which is correct?
Neither is correct ;) .

Echo 4 has moved to 77W which would be about 177 True. Don't worry about it though, it's on an inclined orbit and at least according to Lyngsat isn't broadcasting anything.

Iceberg gave you 129 since that's about the end of what's interesting going West. If you REALLY want to see Echo 1/2 at 148W, it's at 257.5 True.

Satfinder's satellite list is a bit dated. It is easy to update though. The help tab tells you how to do it (it's a manual process).

yeah I stopped at 129W since that is really the last KU satellite going west

East there are a few satellites after Amazonas at 61
there are satellites with stuff on 58, 43.1 and 30 but most are ethnic channels so they may not need to be seen

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts