Installed my new TV and now have error code 775

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shaktastic

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Iowa
I just bought a new TV and put it up last night and now have an error code 775. I called Directv and they had me do all the usual crap and they had me reset the SWiM box a few times and now they have to send out a tech which won't be until next week.

All I did was unplug the HDMI cable from my old TV and put it into my new TV. The satelite was working fine when I unplugged it..........so my question is does anyone have any idea of how that may have happened and more importantly any ideas on how to fix it.

Thanks

couple questions:
1. If you have more than one receiver, are they all out? Or just the one connected to the new TV?
2. I'm not trying to be insulting here but, when you reset the "SWM Box", was that a black box about 4 inches long, 2 inches wide and 1 1/2 inch high with a single green light on it? Sometimes people confuse the SWM Box with a cinema connection Kit, so I had to ask.
Once I hear back from you we might need to look at how the cables are hooked up.. But we'll do what we can

Thanks for the response!!

1. All of the tvs are out including those that are standard def (we have two SD and two HD)
2. Yes it is the SWM box.......it has the single green light and is the dimensions you mentioned. With the two coax connections coming out the one end and the power source out the other end.

Also.......I literally did not touch anything on the reciever or SWM box........I just unplugged the HDMI cable from my old tv and plugged it into the new one.

Ok, you're on the right track. The fact that all of the receivers are out means its either the power inserter (The SWM Box) or the cabling... so here's what you need to do.. I'm gonna list in steps
1. I'm guessing that like most people, you use a power strip to plug everything in. If that's true, try unplugging the SWM box from the power strip and plugging it into the wall (Leave it unplugged for at least one full minute before plugging back in). If that's not possible, run an extension cord from another outlet for test purposes. Once you have it plugged back in, reset the receiver and see if it works. If it does, the power strip is the problem and you'll need to figure out a way to get the SWM box plugged directly into the wall (Because of how power strips work, a new one probably wont fix the problem).
2. Check the cabling.. I know you said you didnt touch anything, but just double check, and do it this way...
IF the coax coming from the wall is connected to a wall plate, disconnect it and reconnect it (DONT use a wrench.. Just Finger tight.. this goes for all connections)
follow that cable to the SWM Box. It should be connected to the one marked "Out to SWM", disconnect/reconnect it.
The other cable on the SWM box ("Out to IRD").. Disconnect/Reconnect it
follow that cable... it "probably" goes up to the receiver.. make sure it's connected (finger tight) to the one marked "Satellite In 1/SWM".
For what its worth... it's that cable between the wall and the SWM box thats probably causing the problem... if you do these steps and still no go, then the only other option you'd have would be to try replacing that one cable, if you can. You'll want an RG6 type coax cable. There's a couple different kinds in the stores, get the cheap one (Oh, and if you have some coax laying around somewhere, any kind will work for a test to make sure that's it).
It's possible the cable got pinched and or bent too sharply when you were swapping out the TV's or something.

Tried to plug it directly into the wall and that didn't work..........can't seem to find my bag of cables so heading out to get one and give that a try. Thanks again for your help

shaktastic,
You mentioned D* had you do all the usual stuff ...
What did they have you do ?
When you unplugged the SWM Power Supply and plugged it back in, did any of your recvrs then work ?
I was thinking it was a sync issue with the Power Supply, if it didn't come back up, my thought was wrong, but if the others came back up and the main one didn't, your progressing.

I was looking into this issue and it looks like another poster earlier had the same issue and when the tech came out, traced the trouble down to a bad connection after replacing equipment.

Might want to check all your connections.(check for tightness, corrosion if any are outside, or inside in some cases and check the stinger lengths, if too short, won't make connection, too long is not good either)

Hello shaktastic,

Assuming that you still have the problem I am suggesting that you power down all of your hardware. First power up your power inserter (PI). Next power up your cinema connection kit (CCK). Power up one of the HD's. After it works power up the other HD, then one of the SD's and then the other SD. I hope that this will fix your problem so you can be once more a happy viewer. :D

I had the same problem and called D bag tv. Of course they were no help, and wanted to charge me 8 or 9 dollars a month for some warranty crap and a technician would be here in 5 days. So i got really p'd and started trying to figure it out my self. SOLUTION - I swapped the coax cable coming from the wall to the SWM and It worked. Hope this helps. By the way I only had one box in the bedroom with a 775 error (1 of 4 boxes in the house) all the other boxes were fine.

Is your DirecTV system properly grounded?

New TV's HDMI could be grounded to earth ground though the power cord while the old one was not or vise verse causing a change in grounding condition which may now be a loop causing interference to that receiver.

I would especially look at this if your old TV used a 2 prong plug and the new one uses a 3 prong.

This is the only thing I can think of because swapping TV's should not cause loss of signal unless it's a weird condition like above.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)