Installed Superdish today with 311 Receiver, have question

nas6034

Original poster
Nov 8, 2004
I'm going to be buying a HDTV Ready TV soon, will it be possible for me to buy a HDTV Tuner settop box, hook it up with the 311 receiver, and receive whatever channels that are in HDTV, in HDTV, or do I need to have a 811 receiver, and a different dish or something?

Thanks!

Welcome to SatelliteGuys,

I used to use a seperate STB OTA decoder with my 301. This will give you HDTV from (OTA) Over The Air signals from NBC, CBS, etc...if you use a seperate off air antenna (OTA) and you would also have to toggle to a seperate input of your TV monitor. This would not receive/decode any Satellite HDTV channels and you would need an HDTV Satellite receiver for that.

Jason

There are several manufacturers. You can buy them at pretty much any AV store, Bestbuy, Tweeter, American TV, etc.

I have a Samsung T165 unit...it worked very well. I have seen these up on ebay for around $150. Actually I don't use mine anymore...maybe I should consider ebay myself...;)

Jason

I just checked and on the receiver it says 322 on the bottom left hand corner, but on the boxes they brought the receivers in it said 311. So if I want HDTV channels, I would need to buy a STB OTA decoder. Does that include a HDTV receiver box, or do I need to invest in that separately, cause my big screen is HDTV ready, and doesn't have a HDTV tuner in it.?

The 322 is a SD only satellite receiver...If you want to watch HD channels from Dishnetwork you need a HDTV Satellite receiver...current models are the DP811 or DP921, the 811 and 921 have built in OTA terrestrial decoders so you would not be required to purchase a seperate STB for OTA HDTV.

The HDTV STB you asked about earlier and we discussed is an OTA terrestrial decoder only, which means it will not decode a Satellite stream at all.

nippjas said:
The 322 is a SD only satellite receiver...If you want to watch HD channels from Dishnetwork you need a HDTV Satellite receiver...current models are the DP811 or DP921, the 811 and 921 have built in OTA terrestrial decoders so you would not be required to purchase a seperate STB for OTA HDTV.

The HDTV STB you asked about earlier and we discussed is an OTA terrestrial decoder only, which means it will not decode a Satellite stream at all.
But it will decode Over-the-Air HDTV signals right? I think OTA HDTV signals are much better and stronger than Sat streams. Also if I would buy the STB for OTA HDTV, I would have to have a separate connection from the STB OTA HDTV to the TV then right? Or is there a connection possible from the 322 receiver which would allow direct hookup for OTA hdtv signals?

nas6034 said:
But it will decode Over-the-Air HDTV signals right? I think OTA HDTV signals are much better and stronger than Sat streams. Also if I would buy the STB for OTA HDTV, I would have to have a separate connection from the STB OTA HDTV to the TV then right? Or is there a connection possible from the 322 receiver which would allow direct hookup for OTA hdtv signals?
The 322 will not decode any HDTV signals. If you used a seperate OTA HD STB yes you would have a seperate connection to you TV monitor and you would have to toggle inputs between the Dish 322 and the HDTV OTA STB.

Jason

nippjas said:
The 322 will not decode any HDTV signals. If you used a seperate OTA HD STB yes you would have a seperate connection to you TV monitor and you would have to toggle inputs between the Dish 322 and the HDTV OTA STB.

Jason

Okay thats all I need to know, I realized I have the 322 receiver upstairs, and the 311 downstairs on the big screen. So I'll buy a OTA HD STB for $150-$200 for my bigscreen, and some how switch between them, I suppose the easiest way is to just unhook the dish hookup to the tv and then put in the ota hd stb hookup. Or I could just get an A/B switch.

nas6034 said:
Okay thats all I need to know, I realized I have the 322 receiver upstairs, and the 311 downstairs on the big screen. So I'll buy a OTA HD STB for $150-$200 for my bigscreen, and some how switch between them, I suppose the easiest way is to just unhook the dish hookup to the tv and then put in the ota hd stb hookup. Or I could just get an A/B switch.
Does your big screen have A/V inputs? If so, why not run the 311 through the A/V and run the OTA through the cable input?

I think he needs to wait until he knows what kind of HD-ready set he's getting. Maybe it's even already got an HD tuner built-in.

Then, he needs to read the manual. Jason, your patience is amazing. ;)

One thing FOR SURE. It will NOT be using the same inputs for an HD STB and the 311. No way, no how, ain't gonna happen. The two types of devices are totally incompatible at the input jacks. The TV will have separate hokups for each type.

SimpleSimon said:
I think he needs to wait until he knows what kind of HD-ready set he's getting. Maybe it's even already got an HD tuner built-in.

Then, he needs to read the manual. Jason, your patience is amazing. ;)

One thing FOR SURE. It will NOT be using the same inputs for an HD STB and the 311. No way, no how, ain't gonna happen. The two types of devices are totally incompatible at the input jacks. The TV will have separate hokups for each type.
The 311 only puts out SD. The choices of output are rg6/AV/S video. So If he wants HD, he will either have to get a tv with a HDTV tuner or upgrade his Sat reciever.

SimpleSimon said:
Mickdog, might I so humbly suggest that you read the entire thread - including your very own posts.
Lets not start something here. From what I am reading, the thread starter is not sure he will get HD from a 311. He asked if he would have to go to a 811. Now what is the problem with my replies? A 311 puts out SD. A 322 puts out SD as well. So, if he wants HD with either of them, he will have to add OTA given the set he buys has an HD tuner, or he gets a HD box or what Jason said. Otherwise, he would need to bump up to a receiver that puts out HD as well as SD. So far, all I see is Jason has been helpful, but you Simon, started belittling the thread starter with your comment about Jason's patience. Why can't you just answer the man's question? He asked a legitimate question! :mad:

Mickdog said:
Lets not start something here. From what I am reading, the thread starter is not sure he will get HD from a 311. He asked if he would have to go to a 811. Now what is the problem with my replies? A 311 puts out SD. A 322 puts out SD as well. So, if he wants HD with either of them, he will have to add OTA given the set he buys has an HD tuner, or he gets a HD box or what Jason said. Otherwise, he would need to bump up to a receiver that puts out HD as well as SD. So far, all I see is Jason has been helpful, but you Simon, started belittling the thread starter with your comment about Jason's patience. Why can't you just answer the man's question? He asked a legitimate question!
Now now Mick, heal....heal..., I think some posts were edited...The original poster asked if he could receive HDTV with a set top box and his 311. I replied by stating yes but the set top box could not decode the satellite stream just OTA, it kinda repeated itself a few times to clarify which is where I think the patience statement came from.

Relax man, no one’s starting anything with the Mickdog, again it appears some posts probably did change to clarify. And yes, I have noticed that edits don't alway leave a time stamp. (In fact I edited to put this little blurb in.:rolleyes: )

Oh and woof woof....grrr...woof...

Jason

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)