Installer coming on Saturday

The tech did it right. From what I've been told the engineers at Dish feel a 1000.4 with a 110 wing dish could cause a problem with the receivers reading the channels that are shared by both the EA satellites and the 110 Sat. I've also been told by different CSRs that they can't even.create this system on a work order.

Well that pretty much sucks! They need to fix their buggy receiver software so that the installers can do this.

We just had a small thunderstorm and I lost signal on all EA satellites. 6-1-1 showed no signal strength on all three. Is this normal and would this be covered under the warranty for them to fix?

EA is more susceptable to rain fade due to older weaker birds. Complain and they should come out to verify it isn't a bad install but don't expect miracles.

This is policy.
The tech installs the new dish. He may as a courtesy take down the existing dish. That dish is the property of the customer. As a matter of MY policy I do not remove that old dish from the property. Because I have no place to put ther old dish but somewhere on MY property ,I do not take them with me. It is not my reposnsibility ot dispose of soemone else's property.
The LNB(s) must be collected by the tech to be returned to Dish Network.

Installer just left. He set me up with a 1000.4 pointing at EA. The only thing is that he did not set me up to receive the SD version of my locals, which are on 110. It's really no big deal because I never watch those channels unless the HD version is out for some reason. Should he have hooked up a 500 pointing at 110 for those SD locals or not?

He did let me keep my old 500 dish though!
I am wondering why your work order did not include a two dish solution( Eastern Arc +110 slot)
You are not getting all local channels in your DMA.
You may call Dish to arange another tech visit to have this rectified.
These are channels for which you are paying.

The tech did it right. From what I've been told the engineers at Dish feel a 1000.4 with a 110 wing dish could cause a problem with the receivers reading the channels that are shared by both the EA satellites and the 110 Sat. I've also been told by different CSRs that they can't even.create this system on a work order.
I'd be pretty g*d damned pissed off if I got an upgrade and found that because somebidy at Dish forgot to put a important item such as "I get to keep the locals for which I am paying" into a computer program.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eastern arc has a brand new satellite at 72.7 , which is where all hd is supposed to move to and all sd is already . The 77 and 61.5 sats are older and are mostly for locals , except for some national hd on 61.5 . The conus bird for 61.5 is old and suffering a loss of some transponders. The spotbeam bird at 61.5 is newer (used to belong to Voom) and the strength is fine for my locals. The 77 sat is the oldest and the weakest but the only thing on it is locals for now. I get the following on an eastern arc satellites on a 1000.4 sat dish that I installed myself.

72.7 sat
-----------
Between a low of 50 on one transponder to a high of 70 on two transponders. Mostly in the 60s on 17 transponders.

61.5 sat
----------

Weak on the eastern arc dish . Between a low of 35 -and a high of 68. I ended up using an old 1000.2 sat dish with single lnb adapter pointed at 61.5 and feed into the in port of the 1000.4 sat dish. I tin foiled the 61.5 lnb on the eastern arc lnb and blocked it out of my check switch. I now get between a low of 45 and a high of 76. Most of my tranponders are coming in the 50s or higher on the conus beam sat and stronger on the spotbeam satellite. A new satellite is going up to replace the conus beam satellite in July.

77 sat
-------

Between a low of 45 and a high of 52. I have no programming off of this sat except a public service channel or two in the 9000 range. A new satellite is going up there to replace the old satellite next year.

I'd be pretty damned pissed off if I got an upgrade and found that because somebidy at Dish forgot to put a important item such as "I get to keep the locals for which I am paying" into a computer program.

And the ironic thing is a 1000.4 w/ a 110 wing dish will work. I've seen it work. But you know how it goes. It doesn't matter what we tell them (corporate/ engineers) is happening out in the field. They're gonna believe what they want to believe (see phone connectivity). And until they program the system to allow this system, then a CSR can't create it on a work order.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've done this many times with EA and setting up 110... nothing wrong with it and it works just fine. As for leaving the dish.. yeah I leave them all the time unless I want to reuse it but the LNB must be Returned or my office gets pissed just cause they are greedy and want to get money from dish for them...otherwise Dish just doesn't care!!

Eastern arc has a brand new satellite at 72.7 , which is where all hd is supposed to move to and all sd is already . The 77 and 61.5 sats are older and are mostly for locals , except for some national hd on 61.5 . The conus bird for 61.5 is old and suffering a loss of some transponders. The spotbeam bird at 61.5 is newer (used to belong to Voom) and the strength is fine for my locals. The 77 sat is the oldest and the weakest but the only thing on it is locals for now. I get the following on an eastern arc satellites on a 1000.4 sat dish that I installed myself.

72.7 sat
-----------
Between a low of 50 on one transponder to a high of 70 on two transponders. Mostly in the 60s on 17 transponders.

61.5 sat
----------

Weak on the eastern arc dish . Between a low of 35 -and a high of 68. I ended up using an old 1000.2 sat dish with single lnb adapter pointed at 61.5 and feed into the in port of the 1000.4 sat dish. I tin foiled the 61.5 lnb on the eastern arc lnb and blocked it out of my check switch. I now get between a low of 45 and a high of 76. Most of my tranponders are coming in the 50s or higher on the conus beam sat and stronger on the spotbeam satellite. A new satellite is going up to replace the conus beam satellite in July.

77 sat
-------

Between a low of 45 and a high of 52. I have no programming off of this sat except a public service channel or two in the 9000 range. A new satellite is going up there to replace the old satellite next year.

I checked my signal strength this morning and my conus 61.5 transponders were in between 48 and 53, my spot beam locals on 61.5 were at 63. 72.7 channels were listed at around the low 60's. Is this worth the installer coming back to check it again?

And the ironic thing is a 1000.4 w/ a 110 wing dish will work. I've seen it work. But you know how it goes. It doesn't matter what we tell them (corporate/ engineers) is happening out in the field. They're gonna believe what they want to believe (see phone connectivity). And until they program the system to allow this system, then a CSR can't create it on a work order.

So, there is no chance for me to get the tech to come back out and put up 110 then?

I checked my signal strength this morning and my conus 61.5 transponders were in between 48 and 53, my spot beam locals on 61.5 were at 63. 72.7 channels were listed at around the low 60's. Is this worth the installer coming back to check it again?

No need with that signal level. Those are good numbers.

This is policy.
The tech installs the new dish. He may as a courtesy take down the existing dish. That dish is the property of the customer. As a matter of MY policy I do not remove that old dish from the property. Because I have no place to put ther old dish but somewhere on MY property ,I do not take them with me. It is not my reposnsibility ot dispose of soemone else's property.
The LNB(s) must be collected by the tech to be returned to Dish Network.

As I stated back in post 16, the installer left the LNB's on my old dishes when I was installed with the EA dish. Are those things worth anything?

So, there is no chance for me to get the tech to come back out and put up 110 then?

The instances when CS couldn't do it for me were new customers who didn't have line of sight to the Western Arc satellites.

More than likely dish will say that you are getting your locals off the Eastern Arc and thus don't need the 110 sat at all. Maybe, no guarantee, they might set you up for a "prepaid labor job" to come add the 110 wing dish into your system, but it could be the CSRs are not even allowed to do that.

As I stated back in post 16, the installer left the LNB's on my old dishes when I was installed with the EA dish. Are those things worth anything?

A few bucks. Their "use" value is more than their monetary value.
In other words, keep them as backup in case you A) want to add a wing dish or B) in case an existing LNB fails

The instances when CS couldn't do it for me were new customers who didn't have line of sight to the Western Arc satellites.

More than likely dish will say that you are getting your locals off the Eastern Arc and thus don't need the 110 sat at all. Maybe, no guarantee, they might set you up for a "prepaid labor job" to come add the 110 wing dish into your system, but it could be the CSRs are not even allowed to do that.
I checked EKB. There are four DMA's covering all counties in SC except for Jasper and Beaufort which are served by Savannah, GA.
The others Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville, Charleston, Myrtle Beach/Florence and Columbia.
All receive SD locals off the 110 slot only. In effect, these are NOT Eastern Arc DMA's.

I checked EKB. There are four DMA's covering all counties in SC except for Jasper and Beaufort which are served by Savannah, GA.
The others Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville, Charleston, Myrtle Beach/Florence and Columbia.
All receive SD locals off the 110 slot only. In effect, these are NOT Eastern Arc DMA's.

I receive Myrtle Beach/Florence locals. The installer left the wing dish on the house not hooked up to anything, so I might try to aim it at 110 myself. I've never done this and have always wanted to give it a try.

I receive Myrtle Beach/Florence locals. The installer left the wing dish on the house not hooked up to anything, so I might try to aim it at 110 myself. I've never done this and have always wanted to give it a try.
Get a cheap sat meter from ebay and then go to the DishPointer tab at the top of the page. This will greatly assist you in pointing one of your dishes at 110.