Installer: Do you have tool(s) to measure 103 signal strength?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stevelite

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
or do you assume that if you can get sat 101,110 and 119 then you must get 103 ?

I'm not an installer per say, but I have installed quite a few 5 LNB sidecar dishes for family and friends. I use an accutrac 22 pro. and what I have noticed is once I get the singal to go off the limit of the meter itself (it says "HI") then I get a good singal on 103.

I don't even know what satellite is giving me the signal at that time but I do know that if the reading isn't at least 99.5 the signal on 103 would be bad.

south florida area.

There are only a couple of signal meters that will see the 99 and 103 sats (the AccutracIII and SuperBuddy come to mind). The way the dish is designed, if you properly peak and dither the 101 and 119 sats, everything else will fall into place.

Birdog V2.5 here Directvs dither method works fine on this meter. but for fine adjustment tweaks of 103(b) I use walkie talkie or cellphone,two people and the meter built into the receiver unit.:up

Birdog V2.5 here Directvs dither method works fine on this meter. but for fine adjustment tweaks of 103(b) I use walkie talkie or cellphone,two people and the meter built into the receiver unit.:up

Just because you peak the 103 doesn't mean that the 99 (when it's launched next year) will also be peaked. The dither process is designed to balance the signal from ALL 5 orbital locations (7 sats total) so that they will be relatively equal in strength.

SO?

If you get a signal on the 99 meter in the receiver what? I looked at one today with no 103 a or b but a full board on the 99. The cx reports no HD feature on the HD channels........I decided it was a defective sidecar 103 LNB and am looking around for a Slimline to to replace it. Should I tune some more?

Joe

It may be possible to max out strength on one sat and lose the other. However, based upon your post, I'm assuming that you are talking about the AT-9 dish. There are a lot of things that could have failed on the dish, and have in the pass, so swapping with an AU-9 Slimline may not be a bad idea.

It may be possible to max out strength on one sat and lose the other. However, based upon your post, I'm assuming that you are talking about the AT-9 dish. There are a lot of things that could have failed on the dish, and have in the pass, so swapping with an AU-9 Slimline may not be a bad idea.

Thanks,

AU-9 comming up.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts