Installer question (consumers feel free to chime in too)

seenett

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Eugene, Oregon, United States
So I had DISH install my 2H 6J system a few weeks ago. Bottom line: I love it, aside from a few minor bugs.

Here's my question: I had two installers here for about 6 hours on a Saturday. They installed a new dish on a different roof location than my old dish, and ran new cable from the dish to the panel. From there, all my existing RG6 was fine. Pretty routine install, although activations took a long time for 8 TVs. My wife, who is very service conscious AND always a good tipper, asked me how much to tip the installers. I told her I don't think this is a tipping type of service, but then I second guessed myself. I didn't tip, but should I have?

Installers: Do you get tipped? How often? Can you even accept tips? What is the tipping range - is it based on hours or difficulty of install? My system will cost me $400. 15% of that is $60 - is that normal? You answers may prompt me to call the installer (he left his cell number in case I had issues) and tip him.

I had 2 installers also, they knew the job were in and out with no BS. I gave them 20 bucks each and a soda. In my area the pay is minimal and they have a point system which I really don't know anything about, but from what I gathered it wasn't that good either. I paid $100.00 for 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey.

Honestly, I never thought about tipping my installer. Although, the service they're providing is essentially the same as any other service provider that you would tip (waiter, barber, etc.).

Now, I'm thinking I should have tipped my installer...

There are a lot of LAZY installers out there and some who just want to do poor work and leave ASAP. On the other hand, I have had some REALLY good installers who take pride in their work and have come across a problem, but were committed to get it set-up as agreed and working as it should. Sometimes I have a SIMPLE EASY request like maybe the cable in a different area, and they say no problem, and if they do BEAUTIFUL proper installs that look really clean and professional, and they would have it no other way. In such cases I ALWAYS tip (along with offering any beverages and even my restrooms if they need it. Other folks, or if it is something really simple like the cables were loose or a quick change-out of a defective switch or box, that is pretty easy and quick work, and my feeling is that in such cases, a tip is NOT necessary.

But if you have an installer who cares and works long and hard to get you set up, I am happy to tip, although I know Dish discourages techs from accepting tips, the great installers deserve it.

It comes down to how hard or time consuming and committed your tech was. In your case, I would have tipped him good. None of those guys are getting filthy rich doing this work, and I am happy to share the wealth with good people who provide good service, rather than the corporation. They go on the roof and in my home UNDER the house, and if there attitude is good, I appreciate what a PAIN going under anybody's house is, and I appreciate the techs who never complain about it. It's not like I'm ready to do those things :).

When the tech came to install my hopper, we had some serious problems. I felt bad for the guy. The software wouldn't download (3 hours later he changed the LNB and it downloaded), and he was on the phone with support who was telling him to do basic things he already did like unplug the receiver, etc. He made a comment to her and you could tell he was annoyed by her. He had the phone on speaker, and she was like "sir I'm trying to help you. if you're going to get an attitude with me then just hang up the phone." At that point he said nothing to her and ran a check switch, and decided to change the LNB.

I knew the tech support was being stupid and I didn't blame him for being annoyed. He got everything straight. Even installed the HIC for me. Didn't complain one bit. I gave him plenty or water and soda and even made him a dinner plate to take home because he had to stay so long that it was dinner time! I thought that was enough and more than most would probably do.

Hoppers are a pain. Tips are nice but most including my self will try and get out of any. In house tech's are not allowed to take tips of any kind including water. Try and tip your tech if you feel they have done some outstanding job.

I don't expect tips. It is nice when I get them especially when a customer has made a request that they even admit is going to be asking a lot of me. A tech will try to put a dish up in a place that will make the install pretty straight forward. I have had requests to put dishes in places that added extra time to the job due to running a lot of extra coax and keeping it hidden from view from some certain vantage point. Then is when I hope there is a tip at the end of the install.

Referrals for friends and family are far more valuable than tipping. Of course this only really applies to installers who do double duty, I know many are just install only & that's fine. For those that do both referrals are the best tip these guys can get...........

I had 2 installers do my 2H/4J install. They were very professional, conscientious (wore booties over their shoes when in the house and cleaned up after themselves) and polite. They were only here for 2.5 hours. I offered them iced tea and a tip of $20 each at the end. They took the tea, but refused the tips.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)