Installer Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tim Godsil

On Vacation
Original poster
Jan 31, 2007
1. Can you pick the time of the year you do installs because i dont want to do in the winter.
2.About how much do they make?
3. Do you have to pay for gas, or does dish loan you there installer van?

1. Can you pick the time of the year you do installs because i dont want to do in the winter.
Tim, If you work for DNSC they will give you a van, cable, tools, training & everything you need and you will be working 12 hours a day. When you are done with your route, You have to call around and pick up jobs from installers who did not finish the route yet.

If you are a contractor, You will be buying your own (in most cases)cable,connectors, parts, gas and what ever you need to do the job.

No, You can not say what time of the year you want to work. I'm in Phoenix so the winters here are perfect, I wish I didn't have to work summers when it is 115 degees.

I Think DNSC Pay's $11 an hour to start, Don't quote me but when I worked for them thats what the going rate was. All depends on what area your in, Some cities pay more or less and experience.

DNS pay varies a little based on where you live, I started out at $10.50 in 00 and when I left in 06 I was making $19.38.

If you wont work winters then you wont do this job because working winters is the least of any installers troubles.

DNS pay varies a little based on where you live, I started out at $10.50 in 00 and when I left in 06 I was making $19.38.

If you wont work winters then you wont do this job because working winters is the least of any installers troubles.
I started in 00 also at $11.00, Left in 05 as a FSM making salary. I made more at $11.00 when I started than when I did as a FSM if you cincider the hours I put in. Long nights waiting for the last installer to come back.

If you're an employee at DNSC, then you will be hourly and the only thing you need is to show up ready to work each morning.

If you work employee piecework somewhere else, make sure you make enough to pay for gas and tools and truck and enough leftover to take home what you feel you are worth.

I wouldn't recommend contracting until you have more experience. Contracting is essentially going into business for yourself so you need to be able to convince others of your skill sets. If you start contracting too soon, you will have a hard time getting the good gigs and end up contracting for peanuts at some DirecTV HSP subcontractor.

Or he can get a coat or something

As an I.C. you can chose not to work in Winter, but don't expect to be on top in priority to get work when you are wanting to work. Most retailers are loyal to a few installers that will do good work, and will take the bad with the good.

I personally only install in nice weather, but I own the retailer I work for, so that helps :D

I installed for a long time in a LOT of crap weather before I got where I am, so buck up and get some thermals!

I Think DNSC Pay's $11 an hour to start, Don't quote me but when I worked for them thats what the going rate was. All depends on what area your in, Some cities pay more or less and experience.
starts here in the Charlotte NC are at the ungodly low rate of $11.75 per hr. That's for everyone w/o regard for experience.

I started in 00 also at $11.00, Left in 05 as a FSM making salary. I made more at $11.00 when I started than when I did as a FSM if you cincider the hours I put in. Long nights waiting for the last installer to come back.
The FSM position at DNSC is sh*t. Those guys get to work all those hours for free and have all the headaches. You get it from the GM and the QAS manager and you get to deal with the whiny assed installers. I had two friends who were FSM's .They quit after months of 70 hr weeks.

Do yourself a favor...Pick another career..Or better still..Look in the yellow pages for home theatre/strcutured wiring companies. Talk to them. They will train you. They will teach you what you need to know. You won't make big bucks at first. But you'll learn a growing trade. Then you'll have a good, marketable skill. Then you can make real money. It takes time though. Pay your dues and you will be rewarded.
Careerbuilder.com is great place to find employers looking for people. Register,fill out a profile.get your resume' in order....Careerbuilder emails jobs in your selected fields on a daily basis. Good luck....

As an I.C. you can chose not to work in Winter, but don't expect to be on top in priority to get work when you are wanting to work. Most retailers are loyal to a few installers that will do good work, and will take the bad with the good.

I personally only install in nice weather, but I own the retailer I work for, so that helps :D

I installed for a long time in a LOT of crap weather before I got where I am, so buck up and get some thermals![/QUOTE
"but I own the retailer I work for"
It's good to be the King...

They start at $16.50 here.

that's gotta be either the DC,Chicago, LA, San francisco or Boton areas ..or some place with a very high cost of living. I know for a fact that's $2 higher than in the NY merto area. I made inquiries late last winter.

IF you don't want to work in the winter you better go to Florida or Texas. Otherwise you work no matter how bad the weather is. THis comes form a guy sitting at home with a busted leg after falling off a roof.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)