Installer seems hazy on OTA--how to handle

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
This is my first Direct TV installation and the installer is 5 hours late--have called the various numbers of the Installation Area manager, etc and wonder what the usual handling of this is--do they spill over to the next day or how do they handle?

I realize they probably have a lot of new installs. Also, when calling (I have put Direct TV put it on the work order and also confirmed with the Regional Install Company) I reminded them that I needed the HR 20 for my locals. Well, the installer doesn't seem to know anything about the OTA connection, so I may have to talk/walk him through it.

I have all the cables inside (for the OTA batwing) and the 2 that came in for my DISH install, but don't know what Direct needs for cables--I will have a HR 20 and R 15.

Also, Dish left a switch outside--a large type of connector--will go out and see what the brand is, but if I have to talk this guy through stuff, I guess I will need to check back here quite often this afternoon and hope somebody answers.

Thanks.

Previous experience is they just come out whenever they get around to it, even if it's after hours - as long as it's not dark to the point of being unsafe.

I wouldn't even try to get them to hook up the OTA - just make sure they give you the -20 and do it yourself after they leave.

The HR-20 will require two cables from the SAT and one for OTA. The R15 is an SD-DVR, right? So it will also require two cables, I believe.

The D* guy should install his own multiswitch. Mine did, even though there was a Dish one there from the previous owner.

I agree with ONUO about hooking up the OTA yourself, since this is something most D* installers don't have experience with.

If all you are getting is the R15 and HR20, then you will not need an additional multiswitch installed as the Slimline can handle up to 4 outputs. For each receiver, you will need two cables from the dish, and one for the OTA if you decide to hook it up.

Just to expand on the other posts some.
The Multiswitch that was used with DISH will NOT work for what your doing.
You will only need a new MS IF you have more than 4 tuners... You have 2 on the HR20 and 1 on the R-15. Someone correct me if the R15 has two, it may I don't know. IF so you run 2 to each rec. So you have a max of 4 tuners from what you've told us.

If you get over 4 then you will need a WB 6x8 or 6x16
D* is not responsible for the OTA signal because they don't do the OTA, they would like you to buy your locals from them if possible.

Jimbo

I would also like to know what you zip code is and determine if that "batwing thing" is what you should actually be using; it is far from optimal and from being the best bang for the buck.

I would also like to know what you zip code is and determine if that "batwing thing" is what you should actually be using; it is far from optimal and from being the best bang for the buck.

Zip Code 57017. I have used the batwing antenna--it was free from VOOM service I had 3 years ago. Then used it with DISH. Now using with Direct. It pulls in most of my networks, but NOT Fox. That station is very low power--Channel 17 UHF and can't even get the analog signal. They say their digital signal is only for the City they are located in. So I have applied for a waiver for Fox Distants.

So far, so good with just the direct connection to my HR 20. It doesn't seem to need a power inserter, which I found behind my Entertainment center--installed their by DISH for one of their Sat feeds, not the OTA, which I never knew.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)