Status
Please reply by conversation.

cebbigh

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2005
Frostbite Falls
DTV installer working on my roof now and it is POURING rain. He appears to be going extra steps to do it right. Just wondering if it's ok to offer a tip? Did so with most Dish installers. If so, how much do others usually give??

Did a search and found a previous DTV thread on the same subject. So looks like it is appropriate so long as he does a good job and the amts were usually around 20 which is what I've done in the past with Dish. Because the weather is so rotten today and the guy is doing a good job I think I'll bump that to 30-40 depending on the final results.

I did $20 once. The first guy that installed my system five years ago. He did a great job with placing the dish where I can easily get at it, running the lines nice, and leaving plenty of slack like I requested on all the lines.

He was a respectful installer. He asked me if I prefer he removed his shoes, which I did because we just installed new carpet. He answered all my questions thoroughly and knew what he was talking about, and seemed to be pleased to be working at his job. It was a really hot and humid day, so I offered him some lemonade when he came in to finalize everything on the receivers, and when he was done, I gave him $20 for all he had done, and the great attitude he did it with. He really took pride in his work, so I showed him I appreciated it.

Since that first install, I had three other guys out for services or upgrades, and have never tipped since. They all seem to think it is OK to use foul language when talking in general conversation, I had to ask them to remove their shoes, and they treated their job as if it was just a way to pay the bills.

The last one who was out a couple of months ago was installing my HR20, and he was definitely on track to receive a $20 tip. However, he did not remove his shoes, and I did not notice until he was sitting in my Lazy Boy setting up the receiver, and he used foul language when I was engaging in conversation with him. Otherwise he was very nice, and seemed to take pride in his job. It was the foul language and shoes that lost him a tip.

To any installers out there, take note... refrain from foul language, and always ask the customer if they prefer you to remove you shoes! :)

DTV installer working on my roof now and it is POURING rain. He appears to be going extra steps to do it right. Just wondering if it's ok to offer a tip? Did so with most Dish installers. If so, how much do others usually give??
Had my install in early August and gave the guy $20. He was thorough and, as I had helped him by getting in the attic myself (it as 90+ degrees outside), he didn't want to take it. I insisted. My signal is about 98 on all birds. HTH:cool:

As an installer...

I once watched a telco tech explain to a homeowner that OSHA and the company insurance carrier required that he wear steel tipped work boots while doing his job. He could not and would not remove them to enter the home. He proposed to do the exterior work and leave.

The entire interior had white carpet. There was no lawn yet or even a paved driveway. It had rained recently and there was mud everywhere.

I took off my shoes to do the interior work. On the way back out I noticed that the dog had been chewing on my sixty dollar boot and had
brought mud into several rooms.

At the end the customer offered me a twenty and I said great......how about the boots the dog ruined?

Joe

Last edited:
I offered a tip to my installer, and he would absolutely not accept it because it was against policy.

I gave the guy 10.00 he was happy and now if I need someone to come reset my dish I just give him a call and he'll stop by, nice guy.

So here are the things I would consider before tipping no specific order,

A. How nice was the install job, some people will just drill holes anywhere, dish placement and tidy cabling. 5.00
B. Politeness, It goes a long way with me. 5.00
C. Did they take the time to program the remote and answer questions? If so you probably had a good install. 5.00

To me each is worth five bucks and the final factor is number of receivers and or type of receivers, DVR’s = longer installs, they download slow. HD is more complicated so it can take longer as well. If its two or less receivers Id skip the 5.00 here, six or more and you could if you felt the need give them more its up to you.

All together if they do everything right 20.00 is more than a expectable tip, if not make them do it right and if its too bad dont tip at all if you dont feel satisfied. Id always tell the installers Ill tip for good service but Id always wait to tip till the install is complete to give them the money.

Some notes if you think something’s not right,

Id check the signal strength at the box just because its 96 outside means little inside and the loner the distance the weaker the signal. less than 70 and he needs to redo the dish or get a booster.

Id also get the skinny on the company, what’s there phone no address etc, you would be surprised how many people don’t have that info when they call in to complain about a bad install and you can always call them before dtv and give them a chance to fix the issue it can be much faster than calling DTV.

Last edited:
The best thing you can do for "Tipping" is what I did. On a new install with Two HD DVRs.

===Pre Wire the House AND Help as much as you can or he wants you to do ===
This way he will have more time left over so he can take a Lunch or get to an other install and make even more money.

For me
All he had to do is mount the Dish and put ends on all the cables.
I unboxed all the receivers and plugged in the AV cables. He put the ends on connected them to the boxes and verified my work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)