Installers and Sat. Signals

tonysoprano

Original poster
May 31, 2005
I have had Directv for about 5 years. I moved recently to a house that has woods for a backyard. Dish Network salesman said their sats. are 7 degrees higher in sky and would be able to get me a signal. Installer came out and could only get me 2 of the 3 sats (High Def).

Directv installer was an older gent who wanted no part of my steep roof...did not even go up there. He said chances were I could not get High Def (but he was not 100% sure on that). Directv is sending another tech out in a week or so (hopefully someone younger who is willing to give it a shot).

I really don't want Comcast. I have seen some High Def dishes installed where there is like an extension that has the Dish higher off of the roof. Anyone know of any way around this issue? Anyone know an installer in the Chicagoland area that wants to make a few extra bucks?

Some installers will offer to make you a tripod that goes on your roof so the sat can get a signal over the trees, expect to pay a couple hundred though. Wait to see what the Direct installer finds. If both don't work then look online or locally for a tripod mount or ask the installers if they know of a place or person that has them.
And since it is your backyard, you could always ask which trees are in the way and cut those down. You probably only need to cut a couple down and would be better in the long run since the trees will get taller and any sat on a tripod might get blocked again later.

Any installer wanting a couple hundred bucks for a tripod is seriously over charging. Steep roofs are not an installers friend so dont expect anyone sane to get on one thats dangerous.

Options:

Locate the dish in thr front / side yard if there is a line of site, you may not like seeing the dish but if you want the service then you'll sacrifice a bit of asthetics.

Cut a few tree's down if its your property, if not then your out of luck unless the tree's are in poor condition and you can convince the property owner that they need to remove the tree's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts