Installers were going to take my PVR721

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jahost

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 2, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I upgraded my PVR721 to a VIP722 yesterday. One of the installers said to the other "Is this the receiver we are supposed to take?" I happened to be listening and I said "No WAY! I own that receiver". They were determined that since they had an RA for that receiver they were going to take it. After a much heated discussion and a call to DishNetwork they decided I could keep it. If I hadn't been watching them they would have walked off with my receiver. If you are having any work done keep a close eye on them at all times. "John"

Ain't it the truth!

HOWEVER - if anyone knows of a good upgrade plan from the 721 to the ViP722, I'd like to hear it. I have a ViP622 but suspect my 721 is not to be long for this world. Lord knows, it's predecessors weren't. I think my 508 will outlive me, though.

John, Yes you have to keep a close eye on anyone who comes to your home, But in defence of the 2 installers, The reason they had to call dish was to have dish remove the 721 from the work order. At the bottom of the work order it says in clear instructions "Customer is swapping receiver, installer must returne swapped equipment and follow standard RA/RMA procedure"... If the installer does not return the receiver the installer is charged for the receiver. We have to keep a close eye on that. They were just doing what the work order tells them to do. Thats why they had to call dish to have dish remove the 721 from the ra procedure. The installers retailer is expecting the receiver, if they did not bring it back they could be charged. I understand you own the receiver, Thats why they called to have dish fix it in the computer. WHen I do upgrades, I call dish everytime to make sure. They were not trying to steal it, It is no good to them, The serial numbers are tracked.

I upgraded my PVR721 to a VIP722 yesterday. One of the installers said to the other "Is this the receiver we are supposed to take?" I happened to be listening and I said "No WAY! I own that receiver". They were determined that since they had an RA for that receiver they were going to take it. After a much heated discussion and a call to DishNetwork they decided I could keep it. If I hadn't been watching them they would have walked off with my receiver. If you are having any work done keep a close eye on them at all times. "John"

They weren't trying to steal it. Just doing what Dish states in the work order.

Tell you what, don't assume that we are thieves and we won't assume that you're a jerk.

To be honest, you are lucky you even got your High Def put in.

We are told that if the customer won't give us the RCVR to cancel the work order and leave.

Before you go calling someone a thieve who was just doing their job, know what you are talking about.

I understand that they were NOT trying to steal it, my question is why do you have to take a customer's owned receiver. I paid for it, I'd do what I want with my receiver.

WHY? If the customer paid for it why do you have to take it. Not taking it out on you, just asking.

Good question. And to be brutally honest, I never know if when a question is asked to mgmt. whether we are getting the truth or a total spin job. And to make it worse, sometimes I get the impression that they feel the same way toward their superiors concerning the issue at hand.

My problem with the OP was he made it sound like we were all thieves.

However, I agree with him not wanting to give-up his "owned" receiver for the 722, which is surely "leased".

Something doesn't seem right about that at all.

WHY? If the customer paid for it why do you have to take it. Not taking it out on you, just asking.

We don't have to take it, But if the work order sais take it then we have to call dish and have the work order changed. If we don't have the work order changed before closing the work order and we don't have a receiver to turn in, then we are charged for that receiver. Thats just how dish does things now. It don't make since to me either but I know if I have a swapped receiver work order and I don't have a receiver to turn in, Then I am charged the price of a receiver. Yes "me". They will charge me. What I am saying is, If the customer owns it and does not want to swapp it for the $10 credit, I will have to call dish and make the changes before I close the work order.

Mabey the installers did not handle it professionally, But in any event they were instructed to bring back the swapped receiver.

now my wife wonders whu NOTHING occurs here for anything unless I am supervising/.

jen thought me stupid till a tile installer cut thru a waterline, and honestly it wasnt his fault.

but I prevented serious damage by knowing exactly how to turn the water off instantly.....

...At the bottom of the work order it says in clear instructions "Customer is swapping receiver, installer must returne swapped equipment and follow standard RA/RMA procedure"...
Is that instruction printed as a line item on the WO or part of the pre-printed stuff on the paperwork? If the former, then it's somewhat interesting that the instruction was there anyway if E* didn't own the rcvr. Surely somewhere in their system they can put 2 and 2 together to arrive at the conclusion that there is a sub-owned rcvr involved in this installation that does not need to come back. But it's a likely "mistake" and one that the owner needs to protect himself from, not that he should have to. Having a copy of the original receipt handy or some up-front discussion with the techs might have been a good idea. (I'm one who tries to anticipate problems and take some preventive measures.)

Is that instruction printed as a line item on the WO or part of the pre-printed stuff on the paperwork? If the former, then it's somewhat interesting that the instruction was there anyway if E* didn't own the rcvr. Surely somewhere in their system they can put 2 and 2 together to arrive at the conclusion that there is a sub-owned rcvr involved in this installation that does not need to come back. But it's a likely "mistake" and one that the owner needs to protect himself from, not that he should have to. Having a copy of the original receipt handy or some up-front discussion with the techs might have been a good idea. (I'm one who tries to anticipate problems and take some preventive measures.)

There is an RA built right into the order. If the RA is not removed the installer is charged for the receiver. Really sucks when they want $149.99 for an old 2800 too.

Sounds like it's not the installer's fault at all.

But Dish isn't getting anything owned from me...ever. They'll lose a customer before they take an owned receiver.

yes, thats just not right to force someone who actually bought a reciever to turn it in to get upgraded..what the hell would DISH do with all that old equipment anyways?
Probably send it to china for gold/silver recovery!!

Sounds like it's not the installer's fault at all.

But Dish isn't getting anything owned from me...ever. They'll lose a customer before they take an owned receiver.

Same here. They'll give you $10 or $20 credit for your receiver while I can sell it on eBay, Satguys or even Craigslist for a lot more. Not happening.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)