Installing 7.5 bud

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If you haven't done this already, do it. It will make the rest of the job way easier. Run the dish up to its highest point, where going either direction decreases the elevation. Then do your absolute best at getting it pointed DUE SOUTH (True), then snug the dish to the pole just tight enough that it doesn't move on its own. That alone usually makes the rest of the job a cake walk.

Now pick a known good active transponder on your satellite closest to due south, tune to it on your receiver and start bumping the dish the proper direction. If the declination and elevation are correct it should pop right in. Then due the normal push and pulls to peak it, along with some minor adjustments. then start walking from satellite to satellite making note of the count, etc. until you are either at the end of the arc that direction or you can't find the next one on your list. Might want to do a little push and pull while on the last one to which way you are off and make note of it. Then go back to the peak and start down the other side, doing the same thing.

If you nailed Due South, you probably won't have to do much more. Just the finer tuning things everyone does to squeeze a bit more out.

Good luck and above all, have fun.

Ok from my understanding, you said run the actuator all the way out. Then find signal on my true south? which my Longitude: -81.1538° so my true south satellite should be 82 west which is nimiq 4?

Ok from my understanding, you said run the actuator all the way out.
Applying power to the actuator, position the satellite dish to the highest point. The actuator itself would only be somewhere around halfway extended, not all the way out.

Once you have the dish at it's highest point and facing due south - 83W should be the closest satellite with C-band to due south.

Reactions: dl76
Thanks jason s. Im trying to find signal with and old pansat 1500 . Not even sure if i can find signal with this old of a reciever. I dont even have 83 west in my sat list. Maybe i need a newer reciever.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

My polarity and skew on the titanium lite lnb might be off also, i read on titaniums website about it, its a little confusing. Im not sure what it means by vertical axis of the dish? Also looks like i need to get a newer FTA. Maybe around tax time i can get one. Its just around the corner. Oh well enough tinkering with it today. i got plenty of time to get it done, i am in no rush. have a great evening guys.

Titanium Satellite LNBFs have a scale on the back of the feedhorn. The "0" position of the scale is aligned with the vertical polarity probe. The "0" skew scale will be either straight up or straight down when the dish is parked at the top of the arc and aimed at True South.

To install a Titanium LNBF on a polar type mount, the "0" skew mark is aligned with the vertical axis of the dish. The vertical axis is either the 6 or 12 o'clock position when the dish is at the top of the arc for the mount and aimed at true south. During a motorized polar mount dish installation, I park the reflector at the top of the arc (mount center of the rotational arc at the highest peak) and mark the edge of the dish rim with a permanent marker at the top (12 o'clock) and the bottom (6 o'clock). This way I will know the correct rotation of the vertical axis of the dish even when the dish is rotated East of West and the dish is skewed by the polar mount.

Hope all you guys had a good holidays. Well im back at it again. Trying to align this dish at true south. I got a new Receiver i won from iboston. A linkbox8000 hd. Thanks again iboston.

Im pretty sure i got lnb installed correctly now. My question is , where do i find the info on a good transponder on 83W AMC-9 (GE-12) so i can input it into the linkbox.

Also what lnb freq. should it be set at for the titainum lnb?

Reactions: fred555
Well guys , it has rained most of the weekend, so i couldnt do much on dish. Took a half a day off from work to take kid to doctor. After we got home i tried aligning dish to my true south satellite, with no luck. Was messing around with sat list and added a few sats from 83 and up and just happen to stumble upon a signal on galaxy 17-C 91 west. scanned it and picked up some channels. i know some are these are pay channels etc. Just happy to at least find a signal on a satellite. . Really not sure what to do now. Should i lock it down there and hope it follows the arc?

Great that something is found! Highly unlikely that the dish will be tracking the arc by chance. Now to use this to figure out if polarity and STB settings are correct before continuing.

What are a few of the channels that had scanned in that are scrambled? Are they on the published frequencies?

There are FTA channels on 91w. Do the two Classic Arts Showcase channels blindscan? If so, are they on the correct polarity and frequency?

Great that something is found! Highly unlikely that the dish will be tracking the arc by chance. Now to use this to figure out if polarity and STB settings are correct before continuing.

What are a few of the channels that had scanned in that are scrambled? Are they on the published frequencies?

There are FTA channels on 91w. Do the two Classic Arts Showcase channels blindscan? If so, are they on the correct polarity and frequency?
It scanned 108 channels in all. Dont think i blind scanned though. I just happen to find signal on this satellite . Then i tweaked lnb skew and focal depth to get it 90 percent signal and 88 percent quality. Then just hit scan.

I got one classic arts prim channel
Transponder 4076/V/3000
V 8000/A 8001/P8000

Got a few NHL, NBC, golf etc..which are paid service i believe

Not sure if they published or not. Not sure what you mean, sorry. Kinda new to cband.

Another update guys. Found my true south satellite 83 west. Only picked up one channel. Farm show channel.
You found PCN (Pennsylvania Cable Network). They are currently providing coverage of the yearly PA Farm Show (going on now from the 9th-16th). Normally they have coverage of the PA House and Senate, PCN Tours (tours of PA businesses), shows about current issues in PA, a Weather World segment, some local sports, etc. Also remember seeing some shows about Gettysburg and the Civil War on there a few months ago. :)

You're getting closer. Might want to take a sharpie or something similar and mark your pipe and mount. Would provide a point to return to if things start going badly. If I remember correctly, you just moved this dish a short distance to your place. So, I wouldn't mess with the elevation or declination now. If it was done properly before, you are either correct or very close to it now. Check how it performs each direction one satellite at a time, until you either run out of satellites, out of actuator, or you loose the signal. On the last satellite (both east and west), give the dish the old push/pull, lift/pull all while watching the signal Q and make note of which way improved the Q. If you nailed due south, you could be done, except for a little tweaking which can probably wait for good weather (summer or spring). If not, tell us which satellite on each end and which direction improved the signal. Then one of us can help you figure which way you have to bump the mount on the pole. (There is a diagram somewhere help with this, but I don't remember where it is.)

Good luck with it.

Reactions: dl76 and KE4EST
OK, Great! You were receiving the standard definition MPEG2 Classic Arts Showcase on 91w. The vertical polarity is correct as it is a vertical transponder.

The LNB/Feedhorn placement may not be optimized. To optimize, place the receiver on one of the channels that you have found and bring up the Signal Meter. Make sure the feedhorn is aimed at the exact center of the reflector. Watch the Quality reading as the feedhorn is slightly rotated clockwise/counterclockwise. Then slide the feedhorn towards and away from the reflector. Optimize for highest Signal Quality reading. This will be good enough until you have the dish close to tracking tracking the arc and you can optimize the scalar FD ratio, Focal length and precise centering of the feedhorn on the reflector.

Is the reflector at the exact top of the arc and the mount centered when aimed at 83w? If not, make sure that the mount is centered with the aiming at the top of the arc when on 83W.

Do you have a DVBS2 MPEG4 receiver or an older DVBS MPEG2?

Edit: Posting the same time as bpalone with his excellent suggestions... :)

Reactions: dl76 and KE4EST
Ok guys, i found 83 west a few days ago, the signal was not as strong as it was on galaxy 17-C 91 west, I am assuming it was not as strong because there is not that many transponders on that satellite? I did take a sharpie pen and mark pole and i marked the actuator it self , if i have to return to my true south satellite. I also tweaked lnb skew when i was on galaxy 17-C 91 west, to get my signal and quality at the highest i could get it. I tried tweaking lnb skew on 83 west and did not see a difference. Just thought i would give an update. Oh i also have the ilink 8000 hd local premium, thanks to iboston. I am gonna try to run actuator wire this weekend to the vbox 7, If it would ever stop raining on weekends. To align the dish, i did it like my old man use to, I took tv and receiver out to dish and set it on tailgate of truck and ran a short wire from dish to align. Yall have a good night.

Update , guess i was lucky to find a 7.5 foot dish down the road that was fully put together and did not have to take apart to bring back to my home. I still have a button hook 10 foot that is taken apart. That was my grandfathers. I did align the 7.5 foot to my true south. and slowly finding other sats.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

dl76, I think your dish looks like a "Perffect 10" brand dish. You got a good one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts