Installing a 942. from sw21 to sw44?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
Vallejo, CA
hi,

a few (perhaps for some ) stupid questions: I've been thinking about purchasing a 942 and want to install it myself. I currently have an 811. The cable connected to the back of the 811 is coming from an sw21 connected to a dish500. now, because the 942 is a dual tuner I know I'll need two cables coming from the sat. So the question: can I connect the cable that is coming from the currenlty installed sw21 directly to an sw44 that will function as a spliter for two lines? I also want to have the sw44 right behind the receiver., Or do I have to connect the two cables coming from the sat directly to the sw44 close to the dish on the roof? I just want a lazy way to install it cause I don't deal well with heights :eek: and I don't feel like paying somebody to intall it :D . any info appreciated. I couldn't find anything on this when I did a search.

Thanks!

No you would connect both outputs from you twin dual LNB from your dish500 to the SW44 (forget about the sw21's). Then you have four output (two for the 921 and one for the 811).

PS: If you haven't already purchased the SW44 note that the SW64 will allow an extra wing dish300 to be added. Just in case you want Voom. Would require another 18 inch dish with legacy single dual LNB.

jergenf said:
No you would connect both outputs from you dual LNB from your dish500 to the SW44 (forget about the sw21's). Then you have four output (two for the 921 and one for the 811).

Hi and thanks for the reply. But, I forgot to mention: I won't be using the 811 anymore once I get the 942. I also will only need two outputs for the 942 and there won't be any other receivers in the house.

Ok with an SW44 you will need 4 wires from the dish. You should have 2 legacy duals on the dish. 2 lines from each LNB will go into the SW44. Then you will have up to 4 lines to go out to receivers.

You need to check your Dish500 and make sure that you have dual LNB's first. You may only have single output LNB's now.

You may be better off just getting a DP quad. Then you wont have to mess with a switch. I know that someone in the classified section has LNB's for sale. Hint Hint :)

Fgsilva said:
Hi and thanks for the reply. But, I forgot to mention: I won't be using the 811 anymore once I get the 942. I also will only need two outputs for the 942 and there won't be any other receivers in the house.
Is your dish500 have a twin dual LNB or do you have two single dual LNB on the Y-bracket. If the latter then get another SW21 and run that down to the reciever. If you have the twin LNB you don't even need switches but if you already have them the save them in case you ever want the wing dish added.

In light to your reply.

If you have two Legacy dual LNB's on the dish now then yes add a second SW21 and run a second line to the 921. If you only have single output LNB's then I would get a DP Twin.

Dave nye said:
In light to your reply.

If you have two Legacy dual LNB's on the dish now then yes add a second SW21 and run a second line to the 921. If you only have single output LNB's then I would get a DP Twin.

Thanks for all the replies. a bit confused here though :confused: . I'm not quite sure if I have a dual or a twin. the system was originally designed to accomodate a single 811 receiver. all I know is that the dish is currently conected through an sw21. for the 942, the supplier told me that they'll send everything I need to get it connected to to it, i.e., an sw44 and that I can keep my current dish.

No wonder you're confused. Single, Dual and Twin are 3 different things - click "here's why" in my sig. You either have 2 duals (maybe 2 singles) or 1 Twin. If you have an SW21 and only a Dish500 (no extra dish for a 3rd sat), then you have 2 separate LNBs. Those are usually duals but could be singles. The cheapest solution is to get another SW21 and connect it just like the first one. Doing that, or replacing the SW21 with an SW44 or SW64, requires dual output LNBs.

You were also looking for a way to "split" a single RG6 line to the 2 inputs of the 942. That is possible, but not quite as you proposed. Your legacy LNBs and switch will have to be replaced with DishPro Plus. Since you will only have the 942 and possibly also the 811, you need the DPP Twin. The DPP Twin has 2 DP LNBs and a DP Plus switch in a single assembly that would replace your LNBs and SW21. At the back of the receiver you would use the DP Separator that comes with the 942. You have the option of adding another dish with a DP Single or DP Dual. Costs more than an SW21 but saves you the hassle of running another line to the 942.

Either way you'll be spending some time on a ladder and removing LNBs whether it's to replace them or get at the second outputs.

The DP Twin is fine but requires you to run a second line of RG6 to the 942. If you wanted to reinstate the 811 someday you would have to replace it with a DPP Twin or add a DP34 or DPP44 switch.

DishPro and DP Plus are explained at http://ekb.dbstalk.com/217.

Hi and thank you very much for the very well explained reply! :clap

Cause I'm not a big fan of ladders and heights I see an installer coming to my place in the future!!!

thanks all again for the replies. It was really appreciated!

BobaBird said:
No wonder you're confused. Single, Dual and Twin are 3 different things - click "here's why" in my sig. You either have 2 duals (maybe 2 singles) or 1 Twin. If you have an SW21 and only a Dish500 (no extra dish for a 3rd sat), then you have 2 separate LNBs. Those are usually duals but could be singles. The cheapest solution is to get another SW21 and connect it just like the first one. Doing that, or replacing the SW21 with an SW44 or SW64, requires dual output LNBs.

You were also looking for a way to "split" a single RG6 line to the 2 inputs of the 942. That is possible, but not quite as you proposed. Your legacy LNBs and switch will have to be replaced with DishPro Plus. Since you will only have the 942 and possibly also the 811, you need the DPP Twin. The DPP Twin has 2 DP LNBs and a DP Plus switch in a single assembly that would replace your LNBs and SW21. At the back of the receiver you would use the DP Separator that comes with the 942. You have the option of adding another dish with a DP Single or DP Dual. Costs more than an SW21 but saves you the hassle of running another line to the 942.

Either way you'll be spending some time on a ladder and removing LNBs whether it's to replace them or get at the second outputs.

The DP Twin is fine but requires you to run a second line of RG6 to the 942. If you wanted to reinstate the 811 someday you would have to replace it with a DPP Twin or add a DP34 or DPP44 switch.

DishPro and DP Plus are explained at http://ekb.dbstalk.com/217.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)