installing a new DVR receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jgjhhi

Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Southeast
We have a SWM 5 system and 2 DVR's attached. We just purchased an additional DVR and would like t hook it up to our existing system. We already have plenty of cable wire and a plate in the wall but do not know how and where to connect to the SWM. In our living room behind our main TV we have an 8 plug switch for the SWM.
Any easy instructions would be great.

Thanks

First thing is that the SWM5 can only support 5 tuners. Adding another DVR will make the total 6, so you'll need to replace the SWM5 with a SWM8. Then, on one of its outputs you connect a SWM splitter to support the new DVR.

Also, what is the 8 plug switch you mention?

And what dish do you have?

First thing is that the SWM5 can only support 5 tuners. Adding another DVR will make the total 6, so you'll need to replace the SWM5 with a SWM8. Then, on one of its outputs you connect a SWM splitter to support the new DVR.

Also, what is the 8 plug switch you mention?

And what dish do you have?

I'm guessing he has a SWM 5lnb, not a SWM5 switch, which I am not familiar with. If so, the 8 plug switch is probably an SWS8 splitter. If THAT'S true, there are open ports on it he can use.

No such thing as a 5 tuner swm system.
All SWM systems will support 8 tuner (more with expanders and such)
SWM5 will be the LNB.

All you have to do is run a line from the swm splitter to the new receiver.

My bad, that never hit this market.

If you do have that particular kit, you can still use the 3rd DVR though by switching any one of the DVR's to single tuner mode.
Or since you said it is sitting behind the one of the TV's, you may be able to run 2 of the legacy ports to that DVR and SWM the other two. (not sure if that will work for all 6 tuners).

I think Chip is on the right track with what the OP has.

Some how we need to get posters to be specific on what equipment they have.
Otherwise, we are spinning our wheels asking question back and forth.

That's a great idea, but unfortunately I doubt it will happen. Most people post their problem and don't check the FAQ
so even if it was made a Sticky I don't think it would change much of anything.

jdspencer said:

Another thing that would be helpful is the OP getting back on the forum with updates, we could try diagnosing this for a week or more, if the OP doesn't participate, we continue isolating with no results known .....

Another thing that would be nice is once the OP 's problem is taken care of that they would have the Mods close it, not delete it as others may like to review it for other situations.

Status
Please reply by conversation.