installing at9??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Ill check again. But last time I checked out there last night I was peaking at 95 on A and 92 on B but 0 on C. When I kept swinging the dish I would loose A. Ill fiddle with it a little big more now that it is light out. And I have the wires connected the correct way to the new LNB's.

AT9 Dish Install

Could someone also with a H20 receiver also check my zip (95540) for the correct position of the dish? Thanks.

Even though your meter shows signal on sat A & B, have you verified anything with your receiver? Basic meters can show signal on the wrong satellite. If your mast is plumb and you are working with the correct elevation and the azimuth is in the general direction (forget tilt for now) the dish should easily land on 101 when you rotate around the mast. The tilt gets peaked separately so that will fix itself. If the 1-2-3 settings are wrong for the 110-119 LNB it will degrade things but not like you have described. If you have verified reception on the 101 sat and you follow the instructions that came with the dish and you are still missing only sat C, then something is not wired correctly or something is broken. What brand is the dish?
Bob

Ok... my turn.... I have just installed an H20 and AT9 5 lnb. I replaced a round single lnb dish and older (10+year) receiver. my old receiver had 97 signal strenght average. My new one... has...zero.... I'm in the 98321 zip... I set the azimuth to 134, elevation to 32 and tilt to 108. zero signal strenght....I set it to zone one...(tried zone two also sinc I live under the black line on the map) I verified the port one and port two cables...(even switched them once just to see), verified that I used the red line not the black edge marker for elevation.... zero...the on screen shows nothing but rows of zero's on the first dish pointing screen and zero signal strength on all transponders... The bubble is in the middle of the circle. The dish is pointing in the same direction basically as the round one I removed. I even hooked up my old receiver which was working fine a few hours ago to see if it would get a signal from the new dish...zero signal strenght... tried switching to a differenct coax connector on the dish...no change...existing coax reads RG-6 on the cable and the run is well below 100 feet..... I'm out of ideas... what have I missed?

one more thing... I just realized I screwed the bbc module in to the wall instead of the back of the receiver, which means it was in line backwards... haven't switched it yet..but about to.... just thought I'd throw that out there just to show my lack of attention at times... not sure if its the problem but I'll follow up in just a bit....

ok... after installing bbc module correctly...still signal strength zero all transponders... :( I'm tired...must sleep....

one all thing (to me anyway) why does the "test signal strength" screen show a different azimuth, elevation and tilt value in parenthesis after the instruction that its checking available transponders on the current satellite? It shows Azimuth:146, Elevation:34 and Tilt:101 which are not the same values I was given after putting in my zip code...? Is that just for illustration purposes or something?

DadGuy said:
one all thing (to me anyway) why does the "test signal strength" screen show a different azimuth, elevation and tilt value in parenthesis after the instruction that its checking available transponders on the current satellite? It shows Azimuth:146, Elevation:34 and Tilt:101 which are not the same values I was given after putting in my zip code...? Is that just for illustration purposes or something?

Those are the 110 values.

Hey Dad...
You didn’t mention using an in-line meter or trying a slightly different elevation or even sweeping in azimuth to find the initial 101 satellite. Are you doing this or just pointing and praying while checking your receiver?
Bob
DadGuy said:
Ok... my turn.... I have just installed an H20 and AT9 5 lnb. I replaced a round single lnb dish and older (10+year) receiver. my old receiver had 97 signal strenght average. My new one... has...zero.... I'm in the 98321 zip... I set the azimuth to 134, elevation to 32 and tilt to 108. zero signal strenght....I set it to zone one...(tried zone two also sinc I live under the black line on the map) I verified the port one and port two cables...(even switched them once just to see), verified that I used the red line not the black edge marker for elevation.... zero...the on screen shows nothing but rows of zero's on the first dish pointing screen and zero signal strength on all transponders... The bubble is in the middle of the circle. The dish is pointing in the same direction basically as the round one I removed. I even hooked up my old receiver which was working fine a few hours ago to see if it would get a signal from the new dish...zero signal strenght... tried switching to a differenct coax connector on the dish...no change...existing coax reads RG-6 on the cable and the run is well below 100 feet..... I'm out of ideas... what have I missed?

Your right little dish guy...I didn't mention it...BUT I did sweep the azimuth on every iteration of change...I haven't messed with the elevation but found the suggestion to try 2 degree and 4 degree variations from where its at... I haven't tried an inline meter as I read that some folks were successful without using one...I may not be so lucky eh? Can anyone characterize the margin for allowable error in finding satellite 101 on az, elev, and tilt?

Ok Dad. If you had your receiver and TV on the roof you might have a chance but don’t count on aligning the AT9 by having someone in the house watching signal strength while you peak. If the dish is within 3 or 4 degrees in azimuth you will see enough signal to start peaking, elevation is a little wider. In my experience, every time the mast is plumb and you have the correct elevation, the meter always lights up when you rotate the dish on the mast (coarse azimuth adjust). If nothing is found then bump the elevation a few degrees and rotate some more. Buy or borrow an in line meter and follow the instructions precisely, you should really have no problem then. Watch the training video available on line if you can to fully understand the process. Good luck.
Bob

Is it even possible to properly aim the AT9 in an area where the KA band sats arent active yet?

I live in Phoenix, and have an AT9, but havent bothered installing it yet because I assume I wont be able to get a signal from the KA sat.

Or is there some sort of "carrier" signal that is live so that we can properly aim the dish even without programming available?

paulfries said:
Is it even possible to properly aim the AT9 in an area where the KA band sats arent active yet?

I live in Phoenix, and have an AT9, but havent bothered installing it yet because I assume I wont be able to get a signal from the KA sat.

Or is there some sort of "carrier" signal that is live so that we can properly aim the dish even without programming available?

Others have mentioned this over and over, so read the AT9 manual and watch the install video. The entire process uses the existing 101 and 119 Ku satellites for alignment, no Ka is needed.
Rick

Thanks, I did watch the video a few days ago... Must not have paid close enough attention though. Could've sworn I saw them metering KA band.

Thanks.

Dish Jockey said:
Others have mentioned this over and over, so read the AT9 manual and watch the install video. The entire process uses the existing 101 and 119 Ku satellites for alignment, no Ka is needed.
Rick

paulfries said:
Thanks, I did watch the video a few days ago... Must not have paid close enough attention though. Could've sworn I saw them metering KA band.

Thanks.

The video does illustrate the narrower beam width of the Ka in relation to Ku and how a misaligned dish will affect Ka more. No metering for Ka though.
Rick

i did it without a meter. i used a cell phone and home phone to talk back and forth. just follow the instructions. it can be done.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)