Installing Directv DVR using existing Cable Wiring

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cueman98

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 14, 2004
Cocoa, Florida
I currently have digital cable in my house, but I am thinking of getting a triple LNB directv system to use my existing cable wiring to distribute directv signals in my home, and connect directv recivers to my existing cable access points.

Has anyone managed to split the signal from a cable access point to accomodate a 2 tuner DVR.

Ideally, I want to use the outputs from the dish to connect to my cable wiring, then split one output inside the house with a multiswitch for the dvr instead of drilling through my wall to get the 2nd input.

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

You can't use a splitter to run one coax to enable both tuners on a DTivo. The only way it will work is to run the 4 lines from the built in multiswitch to an external multiswitch and distribute the cables from there.

So, is it even possible to distribute the directv signals using my RG 6 cable wiring?. I have cable tv in 3 rooms, I was hoping that I could use the internal Multi swich in the dish to connect 3 dish outputs to my rooms via the cable wiring box on my outside wall, and then run a small cable from 1 of the cable access points in my house to another multi switch to split the signal.

Is that Possible?

You can hook all 4 lines from your built in multiswitch on your dish to an external 4X8 multiswitch and connect your seperate cable lines on the outside to this. RG-6 is the recommended cable.

There's just no way of splitting the signal short of buying a stacker/destacker system, which is costly. If you try it the way you're describing it, you won't get all of your channels due to how Directv satellite works. Directv works by having every channel on a certain transponder. There are so many channels per transponder. The odd numbered transponders (say satellite at 101 transponders 1, 3, etc) use a different voltage than the even numbered transponders. If you use a splitter the receiver can't pick up the correct voltage for either the odd or even transponders and you won't get those channels through.

I hope I didn't confuse you too much. That's the technical reason for why this setup won't work. Trust me, I wish I could do the same thing. I have two DTivos and I had to run two coax lines for each of them.

Is there any way to run extra coax lines to your existing cable outlets?

Hello again,

If I get the triple LNB dish, (which I think has an internal 4 output lnb) can I hook up 3 of the dish outputs to my cable wiring without having to use an external multi switch, drill i hole through my wall and then use the 4th lnb output from the dish to go to the 2nd dvr tuner? or would the signal problem still exist do you think?

Just make sure your existing wiring is RG-6 and not RG-59.

The way you just described it will work fine. :)

Make sure you have no splitters in your existing wiring too. :)

We're always here to help!! Let us know how things go! :) If you have any other questions please feel free to ask!

Your idea to tap into the existing 3 cables is fine if, as prior mentioned, those cables are not split along the way somewhere. You'll know as soon as you plug one in. Check all your channels, not just one or two. The 4th feed from your dish will make a perfect Tivo 2nd feed. But, if you want to go any further than 4 'outlets', you'll need a 4x8 multiswitch, which isn't too expensive.

I've tapped into existing home cable wiring with few problems, and some of that has been older RG-59. But, I've also run all new cabling in a recent home and used RG-6 all the way. If you have access to your rooms via a crawlspace above/below the various rooms, it's a fun project to bring your 4 feeds from the dish into a 4x8 multiswitch and then fan out your individual TVs for maximum flexibility. Lots of crawling, snaking, etc. The key is a good cable stripper and crimping tool!

My 8 feeds are already used up - 2 to the family room, 2 to the bedroom, 2 to the home theater, 1 to the office and 1 to the kids room (they don't need a dual Tivo!).

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how I should do my setup. I currently have 6 receivers in my home: 1 HD Tivo, 1 regular HD receiver, 2 SD tivos, and 2 regular non-tivo receivers. Only my HD tivo receiver is using the dual inputs. For the HD tivo is in my basement, I ran a cable from my 4x8 multi-switch along the baseboards to the 2nd input on the HD tivo receiver. I was given 2 additional SD tivos for the holidays so I wanted to have those setup (to replace the 2 regular non-tivo receivers)along with my current 2 SD tivos for dual inputs. That would require me to have 11 inputs. Can this be done?

Like I said, I currently have a 4x8 multi-switch in the unfinished area of my basement. Two of my Tivo units will be in the finished area of the basement. My regular HD receiver and a SD tivo will be on the main level of my house and the remaining 2 SD tivos will be in the upper level of my house. At each receiver location in my house, there is only one outlet. DirecTV is sending a tech on Saturday for installation.

I'm not sure if the tech will be able to setup a second outlet at each of my receivers. When we had someone out one time before, he said that for one of the receivers, he could drill a hole through the floor behind the entertainment center. My wife said 'no' to that idea. Since the wall was only six inches behind the floor, how hard would it had been to drill the hole behind the wall and fish out the cable?

I have a 3 LNB dish. I also have a OTA antenna that runs to my unfinished basement.

I would like to know what, if anything can be done, because the tech comes out. That way I can have an idea on how much additional he may charge me.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Gamecock67 said:
Since the wall was only six inches behind the floor, how hard would it had been to drill the hole behind the wall and fish out the cable?

Wall fishes in general are not easy by any stretch. By some estimates some installers charge $100.00 per turn of the tape. Plus you have to deal with insulation... yuck

Gamecock67 said:
I would like to know what, if anything can be done, because the tech comes out. That way I can have an idea on how much additional he may charge me.

Well there are a couple of route to take. unfortunately none are cheap.

The easiest would be to buy (i didnt total up the runs because the post is a bit confusing) extra 4(or5)x8 multi switches that are cascadable(provided your original switch is cascadable). but keep in mind when cascading if you have astich in there with 8 outputs and you hook another one up to it youll use 4 of those jsut hooking up the switch. so essentially you would add 4 outputs. of coures you could buy a 5x12 or 5x18 those are roughly $500 and $570 respectively.

Another Dish and 5x8 multi switch would probably be the cheapest but would involve adding 4 more lines into your house.

Since you have so many tvs you might want to consider going to a distribution center at some point.

Sorry for making it confusing. In short, I'll have a total of 6 receivers. 5 of them will be tivo receivers (4 SD and 1 HD).

Currently, I have a 4x8 multiswitch in my basement. What I'm trying to do is set it up so that all 5 tivos have dual inputs.

It sounds like if I want the tech to run the second line for each receiver behind the wall, that may be very difficult and expensive. If I do decide to go this route, I can add a 5x8 (or a 3x4) multiswitch to my current multiswitch, which will give me a total of 12 (or 10) outs. Will all of these outs be HD capable? I ask this since one day (many many years from now) I hope to have replace my standard TVs with HD sets. Will I need to re-do the wiring again?

But, if the tech can't run the additional wiring through the wall, then my current setup will work fine.

Youll want to be adding 4x or 5x multiswitches. the 2x or 3x switches wont allow for HD or (if locals are on another sat) locals. you would only get the 101 sat. if your current switch is cascadable. with about 200 dollars you could add 2 4x8 or 5x8 switches to get a total of 16 outputs. keep in mind that will be 3 power outlets used up as these will have to be powered. To be honest im not 100% sure if that will work but the logic seems feasable.

However keep in mind that many years form now we may be on 5 or more LNB dishes. a 5 lnb is in the plans (I hear) for after the 2 new HD LIL sats go up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts