Status
Please reply by conversation.

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
As I seem to do every 4th quarter of the year, I am planning on moving once again, and since the cable company where I'll be moving to (Raoul, you can attest to this) is crap, it looks like the big old 5-lnb will be coming as well. The problem is that the building I'm moving into, an old 19th century Victorian house, has had numerous issues with the roof, and I'm not big on throwing this big dish on the roof and causing problems. I know I can install a dish outside of the roof such as on a rod, but I'm not sure of the ramifications of doing that in terms of reception quality and so on. Is there any sort of prep work I can do before involving D* to help ensure that a non-roof installation is A: Possible and B: Can be installed optimally?

as long as it can see the satellites, you can install it wherever you want. Unlike an OTA antenna, you are not trying for the greatest height for better reception. Just a clear line of sight to the satellites.

That about sums it up.. Just keep in mind if you're going to mount it low, you want to make sure it won't get banged by people or animals, or that people walking by won't shadow it. The only place I would say is a completely bad idea is to the trunk of a big tree. While it might seem like a sturdy option (and I've seen it done), you'll be adjusting it several times a year as the tree grows.

The installer will put it pretty much wherever you want as long as it uses the standard foot mount (can mount to a roof or wall) and less than 100' of cable. Pole mounts, non-standard mouning brackets (like railings, chimneys, or sleds), and extra/buried cable will cost you extra to the installer.

About how much extra do we think it will cost for this sort of installation that isn't done on a roof or wall?

Is that negotiated with the installer directly?

From what I understand, if you need the pole mount for los issues, then there is no charge, but if you just want it instead of a standard roof or siding install, then you pay. Are you moving back to Cheshire? I'd be happy to help you with a pole mount if they are going to charge. It's cheap to do it yourself. BTW, yes your daughter is adorable!

Just got off the phone with D*. They said I'd probably be looking at a $50 - $65 install fee because it is a "custom" installation. I'm looking at an install date of December 30th. Anyone have any ideas as of how to reduce the costs of this? The CSR suggested using my own pole (low class phallus joke warning), but I said no because then I'd have to stand outside all day. Seriously they said going into a Lowes or Home Depot would be good to get one installed. Any truth to that, or anyone have any other ideas for how to reduce the costs? I'm not really looking for a free installation because I don't feel like brow beating a guy to get what I want. Also, how can I ensure that the install is done properly? I've read a number of horror stories of dishes not being grounded properly and the problems that entails. At my old place I had a roof install and it STILL wasn't grounded right and as a result one day something happened and both my HD DVRs were fried, losing all my saved shows. I don't want that to happen again.

Like I said, I'll help you with it if you want. Installing a pole isn't very difficult. You would have to pay for the pole and the cement, that's all. Let me know.

You can't buy the poles a Lowes/Menards/Home Depot. I just love the fact the CSR's tell people a bunch of crap like that. It is a 2" OD size pipe. The only place you are going to find it is at a muffler shop. They will charge you about $3/ft and you need about a 7' pole. You want 4' of that pole in the ground with concrete (1 60lb bag is plenty) with something through the pole so it wont spin. So you will have around $30 into this by the time you factor in gas and materials.

Per Directv's price sheet it is $75 for a pole. So there really is no haggles with the installer. Unless you have to pole in place with a clear LOS, expect a charge. (YES I KNOW SOME POEPLE HAVE GOTTEN THEM FREE) Also if you need the cable buried it is $1/ft to do that as well. You can do that yourself if you wish to save the money.

You can't buy the poles a Lowes/Menards/Home Depot. I just love the fact the CSR's tell people a bunch of crap like that. It is a 2" OD size pipe. The only place you are going to find it is at a muffler shop. They will charge you about $3/ft and you need about a 7' pole. You want 4' of that pole in the ground with concrete (1 60lb bag is plenty) with something through the pole so it wont spin. So you will have around $30 into this by the time you factor in gas and materials.

Per Directv's price sheet it is $75 for a pole. So there really is no haggles with the installer. Unless you have to pole in place with a clear LOS, expect a charge. (YES I KNOW SOME POEPLE HAVE GOTTEN THEM FREE) Also if you need the cable buried it is $1/ft to do that as well. You can do that yourself if you wish to save the money.

You can also get a pole at a fence store.

You can also get a pole at a fence store.

The local Fence supply is the better of the two options as you'll get a heavier grade pole than the muffler shop.

That may be true about the fence supple company. The only one around our area does not stock 2" as a norm, and will only order a 30' section if you want it ordered. They also charge a butt load for it. SO maybe in other areas they are different, but the muffler shop always has 2" in stock. Plus they wont charge you an arm and leg for it.

When I decided to relocate my dish from the carport roof, due to having the roof redone, I used an old fence post I had. This pole was just slightly less than 2" but two wraps of aluminum flashing did the trick.

When I decided to relocate my dish from the carport roof, due to having the roof redone, I used an old fence post I had. This pole was just slightly less than 2" but two wraps of aluminum flashing did the trick.

That's exactly what I did. I think the fence posts are actually 1.9".

That may be true about the fence supple company. The only one around our area does not stock 2" as a norm, and will only order a 30' section if you want it ordered. They also charge a butt load for it. SO maybe in other areas they are different, but the muffler shop always has 2" in stock. Plus they wont charge you an arm and leg for it.

Actually for a fence place, that is a common size.
That said, your right, it's not cheap, I think I spent $ 40 for my 16' pole. Also had fun getting it home !

The problem with that is it will void any warranty Direct will have if they have to use their technician to install things

Not so.

After I set mine I put a few screws into it and have had NO Problems since "05 with it.
Btw, D* has been out here a few times and did whatever they needed to do with out any issues.
They usually are pretty happy when they get here and are very easy to work with because they know what has been done ...

Not so.

After I set mine I put a few screws into it and have had NO Problems since "05 with it.
Btw, D* has been out here a few times and did whatever they needed to do with out any issues.
They usually are pretty happy when they get here and are very easy to work with because they know what has been done ...

Yours is a rare occurrence. I'm not saying whether the above methods are going to work or not. Merely stating that if a QC guy follows behind on a service such as yours, and finds a tinfoil shimmed pole, that can and will result in a failure. Furthermore, will force a return trip to "fix" things.

Do I agree with that? Absolutely not. A lot of custom and non-spec installs seem to be better than what was originally intended by Direct engineering. I liken it to Ford requiring ONLY Motorcraft oil being used, when a lot of the aftermarket stuff is not only cheaper, but better.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)