Installing Dish DIY need some help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ff70115

Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
mason
So I am installing dish on my vacation home and I need some help. I got the dish (1000.4) installed and pointed in the right general direction now which port on the LNB do I use there is one two three and one that says LNB IN. I am only going to have one television there so can I just run one cable straight to the TV and I am assuming it would be ok to have a couple connectors in that length of cable. ( the double male connectors )

The ground is my next question, my vacation home is a stationary single wide trailer, the only ground I see is the one at the telephone pole which is way out of the way. What else can I ground the satellite to?
And how do I connect the ground at the satellite? I have read to use # 10 gauge copper wire is that right?
Is there any other wireing I will need?

Use port 1 on the LNB. I didn't see you mention that you have a receiver, you do have one, right? If not, you do need one to get service (it would be one cable from the dish to the receiver, dual tuners need a separator).

Ok, thanks on port 1, and yes I have service and a receiver its the vip 922. Can anyone help with the grounding?

It is 10 gauge wire.. You can use the electrical box if it is close enough.. If you don't have any grounding lugs.. You can use one of the bolts on the mast..

The ground is my next question, my vacation home is a stationary single wide trailer, the only ground I see is the one at the telephone pole which is way out of the way. What else can I ground the satellite to?
And how do I connect the ground at the satellite? I have read to use # 10 gauge copper wire is that right?
Is there any other wireing I will need?
At My new installation the installer drilled a hole in the pole the dish is mounted on, used a selftapping screw, and wrapped the wire on it. No reason you could not purchase a ground rod at your local hardware store, drive it in and clamp the wire to it. It worked very well many years ago when I was building power lines.

RT

Self tap the mast was what I was thinking and I can run the ground wire to the box.I have read somewhere not to ground dish on a separate grounding rod. Thanks for the quick replies.

Any tips for getting the mast perfectly level? I have it as close as I can with a torpedo level but I'm worried it is not close enough since it is hard to tell.

We all use a torpedo level has well.. Just check the back side.. then move it 45 degrees over and should be good..

Self tap the mast was what I was thinking and I can run the ground wire to the box.I have read somewhere not to ground dish on a separate grounding rod. Thanks for the quick replies.

Self tapper on the mast will be fine, and you are correct do NOT drive a separate ground rod. You could create a very dangerous situation for yourself if something where to happen with the electrical system in your home. Grounding your system to the metal frame of the mobile home using #10AWG wire is perfectly acceptable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)