Installing Dish Today!! (help)

BMAC22

Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Hey guys, i'm a newbie to the forums as well as a new member to Dish as of today. (Well installation is today) This forum looks great and I look forward to becoming a member of the satelliteguys community!!

Anyway i'm making the switch from Comcast to Dish and I have some questions as I want to be sure I get setup correctly with the right equipment and Dish placement. These will probably seem like some very basic questions to you guys but like I said, Im a newbie to the satellite world.

The package I choose was the Top 200 + Silver HD + DVR + Locals (also the promo for hbo, starz and cinemax.)

If I can get a few simple questions answered before my install later today, that'd be great.

1- First off the house i'm renting actually has a Dish hooked up to it from a previous renter. Should I be sure this Dish gets replaced with a new/updated dish? If so, what model should I expect or hope the installer has?

2- I live in Eugene, OR and I saw on the Dish site that the locals are not in HD for this area. Am I going to be able to get Abc, Nbc, Cbs and Fox in HD? If not do I need some kind of antenna? If so, which one do you suggest?

3- What model of receiver should I expect the installer to have to ensure my HD DVR capabilities and max performance?

Pretty basic questions I know...... Also, is there anything in particular I should ask my installer or anything in particular I should be sure the installer does?? Any tips or information will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance.

1. Yes or no, the dish may be fine if it previously had HD, you will probably get new lnb's even if the old ones are there. If previously there was no HD there, you may either get a new dish or a second dish in order to pick up the additional HD.
2. If Eugene, OR is not available in HD then no, you will not get your networks in HD. I would check either AntennaWeb or TV Fool - Home and input your location info to get better info for your area.
3. Either a 722 or 612 (722 if you are connecting the receiver to two tv's, 612 if for one tv), you may however get a 622 for connecting to two tv's as well, it just has a smaller hard drive than the 722 (also, not much expected for HD on demand programing). If you need more recording space, you can add an External Hard Drive.

1. I would think you'll need a 1000.2 dish to see the 110, 119 and 129 satellites. Either that or use the one you have for 110 & 119 and a 2nd dish for either 61.5 or 129 ( that's where the majority of HD is).
2. If your local networks are broadcasting in HD you can get them via an antenna and they'll be integrated into your Dish receiver. Dunno what antenna you may need. It's possible you might even be able to get 'em with an indoor antenna but no way for me to know. You still want the locals from Dish so you have the program guide.
3. You'll get either a 622 or 722 receiver. Tell 'em you want a 722 because it can record up to 55 hours of HD as opposed to about 25 with the 622.

Also, before you sign tell Dish you want the DVR Top 200 Advantage plan. It includes the Top 200, the 1st DVR fee and your locals. You'll save about $5 @month. Hope your install goes well.

Ed

Like Gary said, if you're only hooking up one TV it'd be a 612.

Last edited:
RE: 129

You should probably make them put up a separate 24" dish for the 129, otherwise you may experience signal loss, until that piece-o-junk sat is replaced and operational next year, sometime!

A single dish probably won't keep the HD picture locked.

Hey guys thanks for all the tips! I ended up getting the 612 box because I didn't want to pay more at this time for the upgrade, and was hooking up 2 single units. They installed another Dish to go along with the one that was already here. The Install went great and the picture looks great!!

Now all I need to do is find a relatively cheap, but effective indoor antenna so I can get my local HD channels. I know the tower is only 5 miles away and I have some research left to do.

Thanks again for all the tips.... Im excited about being a new member at Dish as well as the forums here and I look forward to gaining all the knowledge I need for the best High-Def experience. I'm sure i'll have plenty of questions along the way.

PS I really need that indoor antenna ASAP! Sunday Night Football is just not the same in SD.

Hey guys thanks for all the tips! I ended up getting the 612 box because I didn't want to pay more at this time for the upgrade, and was hooking up 2 single units. They installed another Dish to go along with the one that was already here. The Install went great and the picture looks great!!

Now all I need to do is find a relatively cheap, but effective indoor antenna so I can get my local HD channels. I know the tower is only 5 miles away and I have some research left to do.

Thanks again for all the tips.... Im excited about being a new member at Dish as well as the forums here and I look forward to gaining all the knowledge I need for the best High-Def experience. I'm sure i'll have plenty of questions along the way.

PS I really need that indoor antenna ASAP! Sunday Night Football is just not the same in SD.

Make a new post on the O.T.A. forum... there are a few really good cheap antennas and those are the guys to ask about that.

The Zenith Silver Sensor indoor antenna will work fine in Eugene but some of the
transmitters are on the Coburg Hills and others are on Blanton Heights so you
may have to turn in depending on which local station you want as these two
locations are in opposite directions.

Sandman thanks for the info. I noticed that too when I entered my address on antennaweb.

Are you from the Eugene Area? Do you have a Zenith Silver Sensor? How do you like it?

Thanks again......

BMAC22... i am in Cottage Grove. I used to have a Silver Sensor and it worked
fine down here for KMTR (NBC) but it was right on the edge for KEZI (ABC).... of
course i am much further from the transmitters than you are. Anyway, i eventually
replaced the Silver Sensor with a DB2 and hung it in my front window (facing north)
and now KEZI comes in fine as well. I cannot receive any of the stations from
Blanton Heights as I don't have line of sight to those transmitters which are
CBS, PBS, and FOX.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts