Installing HD OTA on existing Dish Coax

sala_kootha

Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Hi, I need some help. I recently disconnected my Dish service and I am hooking up a HD OTA antenna. Instead of running a new coax for the OTA, i thought I would use the existing coax wired to the Dish.

I have two Dish satellites for my house, one to pick up the regular channels, and another to pick up the HD channels. The HD satellite feeds into the other dish and is routed into my home.

I removed and disconnected the HD satellite, and installed my HD OTA.

Inside the house I have connected the coax into my HD Tuner for my TV. I am picking up NO SIGNAL, what could be wrong? Is it b/c I am feeding my OTA through the other satellite still? Should I disconnect that satellite too, and just do a straight shot?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Sala_Kootha

If there are any satellite switches between the TV and the antenna, they will not pass the OTA signal.

Run a new RG-6 line from the antenna to the HD receiver.

The "HD" dish was probably connected to an input on the LNB on the other dish. If the LNB is gone then the wire you connected to the antenna doesn't go anywhere. You could use a barrel connector to link the cables together.

It's hard to tell exactly what you are doing from your message, but if you are trying to piggyback OTA signals with satellite signals you will need to use diplexers. Diplexers mix low OTA frequencies and high sat frequencies and then can split them back apart on the bottom end. If you don't want any satellite signals at all, then just disconnect all the satellite dishes and make sure you are running straight cable from the antenna down through to the tv.

What i have done is disconnect the LNB for the regular satellite, and put on a barrel connecter as you stated. It works!, thanks to all for replying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)