Installing in an RV

Stanleee

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 20, 2004
NY State
Does anyone know what it takes to install dish in my RV so I can take it on the road? Any idea how much it would cost?

Depends on how you want it to work.

Simple tripod on the ground and manual aiming - mebbe $50.

Rooftop fully automatic stow, deploy, and aim - well, if you have to ask, ... :rolleyes:

No just the basic tri-pod is good enough for me. I don't have a 250,000 motor home, just a 26' travel trailer. I noticed that camping world sells a dish thats not compatable with dish 500 that I have.Do I buy another dish from my local retailer?Then maybe purchase a Sat. locator?Thanks

Yes, you would be better off buying a separate dish500 with a twin LNB and a tripod. A level would be good to take along but doubt that you would get much extra benefit from a satelite finder.
A friend of mine does this and says he gets pretty good at aiming the dish. If it were me, I would have an extra 301 exclusively for this.
Make sure you buy an LNB that is compatible with your receiver. Don't forget the wrench and screwdriver.

Here's what you need:
  • Tripod
  • Compass
  • Level
  • Dish500 with Twin LNBF
  • Any standard E* receiver
Some tripods come with a centering bubble level that snaps into the top of the mast. If not, that's the one to get. A new Dish500 with DishPro Twin LNBF retails for $70 @ dishstore.net. They can be found used for less.

You don't need a sat finder. Use the receiver (you need to be within earshot of it).

Tell the box your current zipcode, aim the dish using compass for azimuth & dish markings for elevation & skew. This should get you close enough for the box to start whistliing at you, then aim by ear.

It's a good idea to have tin foil to cover the 110 side of the LNBF just to avoid the chance of going 9 degrees off and confusing things.

Thanks guys, that mobile system is really neat, but the price is way over my head. Maybe someday........

If you install a dish system on an RV, does that mean you have to pay $5 per month for the extra receiver plus $5 per month because it is not connected to a telephone line? I have heard on this board that you will be charged $5 if you are not connected to the telephone line. I am planning on setting up a dish system at my cabin and there is no phone line there, so I suppose that is pretty much the same situation as a dish system on an RV.

I take mine camping all the time, just returned today...My camper has square tubing with holes on the side that makes it perfect to mount my extra Dish 500...:) I also have a tripod I got at Radio Shack a few years back and use a cut off chain link fence post (tubing) that is the right size when I tent camp, driving tent stakes into the tripod leg pads to help stablize along with big rocks on top of for wind gusts...

Man, you get to camp this time of year?all I can do is wait for it to stop snowing and stay above 30 degrees. Thanks for all the tips-Stan

I also take mine camping with me, I found that a satillite finder 10.00 on e-bay 25.00 radio shack makes a real big differnce, with the sat finder it takes less that 5 min to set up. The sat finder really makes it easier. I have never used a level and have always hit both sats. using the sat finder. I have a radio shack tripod once setup, I put 3 1 gallon jugs of water on the tripod using bungee cords. Works like a charm. when time to go dump the water keep the jugs.
If you fill out the r.v waiver you can also get distante locals up to 4 differnt ones for 4.99 each.

hope that helps

You don't need a phone line unless you want pay for veiw. Take one of your receivers like a 301 or 311 and you won't pay one extra penney.

We take ours camping all the time, Actualy have a dual LNB direct TV Dish, that I have on a tripod. I take two Receivers from the house, (dishnetwork)one for Kids bunk room. I put a dual connector on outside and modified existing hookups inside. I just try to get 119, most of stuff is there. I tried a 500 but it's a PITA try to hit both birds with all the trees in the way. Hitting 119 is still a challenge and sometimes not possible in the brush, some times it will take an hour, other times, 30 seconds or less.

Since we use receivers we already pay for, there is no extra charge.

My Sis went from cable to Dish just for that purpose. They are now snowbirds for 3 months and are loving their dish on the road from Texas.

I got D* originally for camping and gradually migrated all my programming from BUD... And it was only in 40's this weekend at night 50's + daytime and no rain or fog like last weekend...:) I take my X1 and if warm enough outside set up a piece of styrofoam on the side of my camper and have about a 43" screen...(I try to keep X! far enough from fire so smoke does not damage) either that or my 9" dc color set...

Stanleee said:
Man, you get to camp this time of year?all I can do is wait for it to stop snowing and stay above 30 degrees. Thanks for all the tips-Stan

Whoa...Sorry to hear that. It was beautiful and a sunny 63 today. :D It's supposed to be like this through the weekend. We swapped winter weather with California this year. I'm sure they are more than ready to trade back.

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)