Installing in the rain.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I would rather it be raining when it's installed, that way you know right away how your signal will be.
I have to work in the rain, all day today, not much fun, but I need a paycheck every week, so as long as it's not lightning I'll be working.

Jimbo
That is about the silliest thing I have ever read on this forum...Signal strength is relative..If it's clear, and the dish is peaked properly the signal will be high.. During rainy weather if anything it is more difficult to get full strength becuase of the varying intensity of the precip...You said you work for At&T?..Good..Are you good at it?...Great....You should continue doing your job to the best of your abilities..I will do the same on mine...Are we clear?
BTW I can't call in sick just becuase the weather sucks..and I don't have a union backing me up that says it's ok either...

Hey, you guys aren't working with YOUR own tools..You aren't going into people's homes and spending 3-4 hrs there.....To compare my job to yours is disengenuous.....Also, you belong to the world's most powerful union. You could practically tell your boss to screw himself and you'd still have a job..you'd get written up, but not fired....So please..Before you get all condescending about working in the rain, try walking a mile in my shoes..Done..

How about walking ten miles EVERY day in my shoes. Pouring rain, I walk. Two feet of snow, 10 degrees and 45 mph winds, I walk. 97 degrees and 98% humidity, I walk. Vicious dogs, 100's of lbs of mail, I walk. Oh, and I have to put up with the stupidity of the public. (That's you!)

Hey, you guys aren't working with YOUR own tools..You aren't going into people's homes and spending 3-4 hrs there.....To compare my job to yours is disengenuous.....Also, you belong to the world's most powerful union. You could practically tell your boss to screw himself and you'd still have a job..you'd get written up, but not fired....So please..Before you get all condescending about working in the rain, try walking a mile in my shoes..Done..

What are you talking about, many times I spend 3-4 hours working in peoples homes, I try not to take that long, but sometimes I am there all day, other times I may work outside in the rain all day working to get one persons dialtone fixed,
Of course the TELEPHONE appears to be the most important thing in thier lives when they don't have dial tone.

You are correct, I do have a union, some say it's great others think it does nothing. I say , it improves my wages and works towards my benifits, thats about it.
I have a good relationship with my boss, If I ever told him to Screw himself, he would wonder what was bothering me, and we would discuss it after we both were more civil.

To comare your job with my job IS rediculous.
I CAN DO YOUR JOB, can you do mine ?

Jimbo

Last edited:
How about walking ten miles EVERY day in my shoes. Pouring rain, I walk. Two feet of snow, 10 degrees and 45 mph winds, I walk. 97 degrees and 98% humidity, I walk. Vicious dogs, 100's of lbs of mail, I walk. Oh, and I have to put up with the stupidity of the public. (That's you!)

Not to add flame to the fire but when you work with the public everybody is stupid until proving otherwise.

btw I have several mail carriers in my family(I was a mail sorter) if the conditions are too severe they don't have to deliver a piece of mail, so not every mail carrier will work in bad weather.

Not to add flame to the fire but when you work with the public everybody is stupid until proving otherwise.

btw I have several mail carriers in my family(I was a mail sorter) if the conditions are too severe they don't have to deliver a piece of mail, so not every mail carrier will work in bad weather.

I have been a carrier for 26 years. In that time, there have been three days that we did not deliver, two blizzards and one hurricane. How about you, dishcomm? How many days have you stayed inside because of the weather?

Last edited:
I have been a carrier for 26 years. In that time, there have been three days that we didi not deliver, two blizzards and one hurricane. How about you, dishcomm? How many days have you stayed inside because of the weather?

In my work, the worse the weather, the more work we have, we work in the rain the heat, the snow whatever, only time we are not suppose to work is IF it happens to be Lightning, then when the lightning stops, back to work.
We also work in the dark, at 6pm, 10 pm, 3 am when ever it's needed.
Get called in over night regularly, doesn't matter what part of town, good or bad.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dishcomm you mentioned :
BTW I can't call in sick just because the weather sucks..and I don't have a union backing me up that says it's ok either...

I can't call in sick because the weather sux, thats when they need us the most.

We headed down to New Orleans to help out (I didn't, but a freind did , broght back a bunch of pictures)
They are currently asking about going to California from now till just before Christmas, then Jan 3rd till probably March.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
raoul,
I know how your work is, my Aunt does that too.
The one acvantage I do have is I can get back in my truck and warm up for a few minutes.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)