Status
Please reply by conversation.

john dusek

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 6, 2005
east bernard Texas
After reading your board,am installing a new Norset 8115 LNB. When using the 90 degree waveguide that came with it ,I am not sure how to install the LNB as the ant in side the LNB is a completely different position than the one I am replacing. In other words should the ant in the LNB be pointed up or down or does it make any difference. As much as this thing cost you would think it came with instructions.

After reading your board,am installing a new Norset 8115 LNB. When using the 90 degree waveguide that came with it ,I am not sure how to install the LNB as the ant in side the LNB is a completely different position than the one I am replacing. In other words should the ant in the LNB be pointed up or down or does it make any difference. As much as this thing cost you would think it came with instructions.

If your Feedhorn already has a 90 degree waveguide then another one isn't necessary. If it doesn't then use the one that came with the LNB. All the waveguide does is create a way for the LNB to be mounted in a way where it's length comes straight back so the feedhorn cover can be installed.

I didnt make my self clear,as I was wanting to know which way to install the new LNB since it can be installed 2 ways (180 apart) On the old LNB its easy to figure which way they install but when you use the 90 degree waveguide the LNB sits 45 degree different.(which makes the antenna in LNB also 45 degrees different) The new LNB was not marked as to top or bottom. My question was which way should the end of the LNB antenna not attached to LNB be pointed up or down. This must be a stupid question as I only got one come back. I guessed at it and it workes fine, Thanks for the come back.

I didnt make my self clear,as I was wanting to know which way to install the new LNB since it can be installed 2 ways (180 apart) On the old LNB its easy to figure which way they install but when you use the 90 degree waveguide the LNB sits 45 degree different.(which makes the antenna in LNB also 45 degrees different) The new LNB was not marked as to top or bottom. My question was which way should the end of the LNB antenna not attached to LNB be pointed up or down. This must be a stupid question as I only got one come back. I guessed at it and it workes fine, Thanks for the come back.

I was trying to answer it as though you might be thinking..."what is this piece they sent me...it must be important or they wouldn't have sent it." Most feedhorns come with a 90 degree waveguide, so 2 shouldn't have been necessary. Your feed may have not had the 90 degree "elbow" waveguide installed because you possibly could have had one of the "shorty" LNB's that will fit fine with the waveguide off. Waveguide is like coax in that the longer it is the more signal loss there is, so it's wise to only use the waveguide pieces that is needed to get the LNB positioned properly for the coax to reach and the feed cover to fit. I was at a bit of a loss understanding what you were asking as I recently obtained a new pair of 8115's and they didn't send me anything but the LNB's and the rubber gaskets. As far as mounting it on the flange it doesn't matter, as turning it 180 degrees still puts it back in phase with the correct polarity.

ACradio,thanks for comback,am not good at explaining my problems. Your right, was replacing a shorty LNB. You answered my question as did it make any difference the way I mounted on the LNB on the flange. The darn thing is 10 ft off the ground and a dog to work on so thats why I wanted to be sure. The new norset raised my quality numbers some.Origionally had trouble cutting out at times so replaced the LNB with a cheap $14(since the one I was using was fairly new) one to see if that was causing the trouble and that fixed it. Believe it or not the cheap one worked pretty good,but quality numbers were down. I was looking for a better one and noticed on this board about how good norset were and deceided to spend the extra 40 bucks for a very good one. Thanks again

a feedhorn cover isn't even necessary. I have not ran one in years with zero problems.
You lose about 3db of signal to the elbow. I would leave out the elbow and leave off the cover.
3db is considerable if you are trying to lock a marginal signal. I am a little exteme LOL.

Truckracer,if I removed my cover, the goverment would get me for destroying a home for about 5 tree frogs I found in there.(wont tell them I pluged up holes) Thanks for information and if I ever need more signal I will do it. But now I get 50 on HBO and 80 to 99 on most of others.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts