Installing OTA antenna using DISH coax?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

eilros

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2007
South Bend, IN
If I install an outdoor OTA antenna, can I just use the DISH Network coax or do I need to run new cable? If I can use it, is there a special way to connect the antenna?

If you can run a dedicated cable, it's probably better to do so. Otherwise you can use a diplexor to share the existing cable run.

If you can run a dedicated cable, it's probably better to do so. Otherwise you can use a diplexor to share the existing cable run.

I'd rather not have to run another cable. Would I use a diplexor at both the dish and receiver end of the coax? I haven't been able to find much info on how to do it.

Yeah, I decided to free up one of the two coax's that are run to my TV area so that I could trial FiOS video. I had been using one coax for Dish and the other for my OTA antenna. So I picked up a pair of diplexors and installed them. There was not a drop in signal strength and its as good today as it was with its dedicated cable.

FiOS never offered me a trial period (in fact they wanted a 1yr commit) so I turned them down. Its more fun having Dish. :D

Does anyone have a link to installation instructions using the diplexer? I'm a complete novice when it comes to stuff like this.

Also is there a particular diplexer that is recommended?

You screw it on. You haven't done a search at all for one, have you ?? Give it a try and look at a picture...

I had done a search but I didn't really know what I was looking for.

Which one of these diplexers would I need:
Holland Satellite Diplexer - STVC
2Amp Satellite Diplexer - DPD2

I also see that Dishstore.net has a couple of different diplexers. Would those be a better option?

I appreciate your advice and apologize for such simple questions. I just don't want to screw up anything.

Last edited:
I see nothing wrong with the first two. Dishstore.net charges almost double.... It ain't my money.... :)

You can also buy these locally. Granted, it will cost more but returning them will be easier, if necessary. You can get 'em quicker too. Same place you buy your antenna will likely sell them. I tried Radio Shack's website but didn't get anything... I'm positive I've seen them there (in their stores). Wait, they spell it "diplexer" instead of "diplexor". Don't know which is right.... Ouch ! $20. Don't buy 'em there.

I picked up the pair that I use over at Lowes one day. These really are items that you can pick up at any hardware or electronics store.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)