Status
Please reply by conversation.

polgyver

Creative Tinkerer
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 21, 2010
Toronto
Old ExpressVu dishes are easy to get, they are larger than new "pizza" dishes (24" x 26") and allow for receiving programs from Galaxy 19 (97 W) if there is not too much rain.
There are many ways to build a mod or attachment for different LNBF, described on this forum.
Most often were used electrical conduit clamps (metal or plastic), as well grounding water pipe clamps.
In some attachments original LNBF holders were used.
Below are photos showing LNBF attachment using only a piece of plastic, one "omega" shaped strap,
two flat aluminum plates and 10 screws.
The plastic used was only 1/2" thick. Much better would be thickness 5/8 or 3/4".
If the original circular LNBF is on the dish, it can be used for proper positioning of the attachment.
Seven annotated pictures follow:
IMG_2727.JPG IMG_2728.JPG IMG_2730.JPG IMG_2733.JPG IMG_2736.JPG IMG_2737.JPG IMG_2744.JPG

The Bell dishes I have used is a round 24", round 18", and an oval 19"X22". The latter is the newest one. The 24" model works great and has the same LNB support bar as yours, and I was able to source a linear LNBF that fit directly onto the arm so I never considered making an adapter for it... and using it on G19 didn't require any skew offset here (true south).

The newer oval dish has a skew adjustment on the dish, but the LNB arm is too short for directly attaching an LNBF, and it has the D-shaped support arm set up for the "Y" adapter for two LNBs. I am thinking of making use of this dish by using the original LNBFs, taking them apart (removing the original LNBF metal components) and replacing them with linear LNBFs and installing them in the original plastic case. That way I still get the 9 degree separation and two LNBFs on a dish I can skew (and still looks factory Bell). Problem... not much FTA on sats at 9 degree spacing where a small dish like that would have enough gain to be reliable.

Nice job on that adapter bracket, looks quite professional!

Reactions: polgyver
:welcome to SatelliteGuys!
They can be, but not big enough for all channels. Also will require some modding. I wouldn't recommend cutting your teeth on one.
You would need a linear LNBF.

Reactions: danristheman
Hi,
Here's how I use 2 pieces of pvc cut from a pipe for a central vacuum system with the 24 inch Bell dish. Glued between the 2 pieces is an aluminium metal strip that is screwed in the hole that was used to hold the bell LNBF. I can get NBC at 72W with an Avenger pll321 attached with a tiewrap.

Attachments

• IMG_5389.JPG
    IMG_5389.JPG
    677.3 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_5389.JPG
    IMG_5389.JPG
    677.3 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_5390.JPG
    IMG_5390.JPG
    489.8 KB · Views: 234
polgyver Nice work! How do you make sure LNB's phase center is located in antenna's focus?
I just assume that, if the new LNBF "face" is in the same place as the old LNBF's "face", that the phase center is identical. For fine-tuning, there is always some possibility to move the LNBF aft and fore, as the LNBF "holder is 1/2 " to 3/4" thick, and LNBF's "neck" is usually, longer, 1" to 1-1/2" .

The default "starter" satellite for Ku is 97W Galaxy 19.

With a smaller dish 95W and the CCTV channels are real strong and easy to tune in.
Then its a small task to bump over to 97W once you get your bearings with 95W.

Yes like Fred said, 97W is an excellent place to start.
Just keep in mind you will not be getting any of the main stream, big time pay channels, like Discover, HBO, TNT, CNN, etc.

There are a few golden nuggets in there. Part of the fun of the hobby is to see what you can find.
You are correct though, over 200 channels on 97, most are foreign or religious.
Right now as far as receiver maybe look for a GEOSATpro microHD. Excellent receiver that was designed by Titanium on this site for NA.
If not look at the Manhattan or one of the newer X2's.
LNBF: MK1PLL or SL1PLL
http://nc-electronics.com/mk1pll.html

Two more questions:
- can i use some of the dish switches 21, 33, 34, 44 to combine linear LNB with dish LNB?
- can i use dish receiver to watch the 97W channels ?

Dish TV "dish 500" is similar, the same plastic bracket can accommodate mono-block duo LNB or 2 individual single LNBs like the old DirectTV's one, but where can you find FTA LNB's to fi there?

Dish500.jpg

OR
KIT-500TWIN_det_zoomA.gif

According to this: http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/364980.html
Dish 500 LNB can be used for FTA?

"DishPro Plus is an LNB used by Echostar systems. It is used on the Dish 500 and some of the Super Dishs. It has 2 outputs, and 1 input, using stacked polarity technology, (Converts the H polarity to V, interlacing it with the existing V polarity signals) resulting in only V polarity allowing longer cable runs (over 200 feet) by using only 13 volt LNB power and uses either Circular polarization or Linear polarization. It can be used with DPP and DP series switches (loses DPP functions when used with a DP34 however), as well as the new Dishpro Plus Separators"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts