Installs, Inc out of 30" Dish?

slick1ru2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
The South
I have been having intermittant problems with dropouts as well as rainfade that has been narrowed (via research here and a couple of installer visits) down to my 18" dish. I called Voom a couple of weeks ago and told them their latest fix, a new STB, didn't fix drop outs on cloudy days plus I have rainfade with Voom that I don't experience with D*. I asked about a 30" dish (didn't realize there is a 24" one too) and was told on the phone that they can't comment on a larger dish (whatttt???).

Anyway, after a week or so wait a couple of guys come from a company I never heard of that were subcontracted by Installs, Inc. Its sunny, they check the signal and its "booming". Yeah I know that. I read the paperwork and it says realign dish if needed or replace with a larger one. The guy had missed that on his paperwork. And guess what? No one gave him a larger dish to install. He tells me I need to call Installs, Inc to get the bigger dish ordered. I dial it and give him the phone so he can explain what happened. He gives it back and tells me they want to talk to me. They wanted my phone number to find my account. Geez. Anyway, they tell the installer they are out of 30" dishes and will ship a 24" dish. That was last Tuesday and I haven't heard a thing since. Did get a Voom bill in the mail though. LOL Guess I'll call this week and see if the Pony Express has arrived with the new dish yet. Hope it works too.

Got my 24" dish yesterday. Before swapping signal was 86-87 w/ 100%overcast. After install went to 96! Now its clear and its 99. The installer told me that Voom is telling them that the 30" is "experimental". Anyway, much better signal quality, just hoping the software upgrade does good, having company over for the Tison fight on Friday.

RECIEVED MY 24 INCH DISH AND IT WORRKS BETTER THAN EXPECTED pq IS ALOT BETTER AND SIGNAL WAS 84 NOW 98 ON CLEAR DAY. LESS PIXALATION.
It was installed last fri, it took my installer 1 week to get, he purchased off the net and got installs inc to reimberse him.

Installs subcontractor swapped out my existing 18" dish for a 24" dish just yesterday.

My problem was entirely dealing with rainfade. It was only during bad weather that I was loosing the satellite signal.

Signal strength went from 95 to 97.

Until it rains, I'm not going to know if the dish upgrade corrected the rainfade problem or not.

I live in South Florida. I had my 24" dish installed yesterday. Unfortunately it started raining today at around 3 pm and VOOM has been down since!!!!! Theyre about to lose me!!!!!!!!

rasecane1, damn that sucks but relax man, the 24" is just a patch, it can't compete with the storm we had today, I checked withmy folks who have E* and they were down and stuttering in the afternoon, they don't have no OTA antenna so they were out of programming in the late afternoon.

When we go to the elliptical 30" dish that's going to be even better.

i feel sorry for you guys; I have the measely 18 inch dish, and even during heavy rain, I lose absolutely nothing..
heavy lightning is a different story, as I would lose my DTv also; but rain, either light or heavy does nothing to my signal..

I dont know if I had the greatest install, or just live life right!

You just cant beat a 30" for rain fade, who cares if its over kill one day you will be glad you have it. They are not much bigger than a 24" only 3" a side (no calculator used), I was looking for a customers home recently and I drove right by his 30" dish, I was looking for the big dish : )
I would buy my own 30" dish rather than quit VoOM, or hold out for the new oval dish, that should help.

If you go to two receivers, do they need to redo the 18" dish to a 24 or 30? I'd guess they will need to put in a multiswitch too (if using two receivers).

A dual LNB works for two receivers, so if you have one they may just hook that one up, you will need to ask for a larger dish.

PSB said:
I would buy my own 30" dish rather than quit VoOM, or hold out for the new oval dish, that should help.

How much would buying a 30" dish cost? Could I use the existing arm that I have for the 18" dish and self-install?

I lose signal during torrential downpours, but we haven't had many of those lately in Greenville, SC.

CDH.

They cost around $75 shipped, if you mean can you use the same mast, depends how its mounted, if its mounted on the downward slope of say a roof it will work, if the dish is on the bottom of an upward slope of a roof you will have to use the mast that comes with it! If its on a flat surface you may be lucky, you can always repair the holes and use the mast that comes with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)