Please reply by conversation.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
Special instructions if you want to enable the $3 MRV capability using ethernet and not DECA technology (avoiding the $99 or $149 equip/install charge).

From Doug at dbstalk:
Enable MRV using your home networking - DBSTalk.Com
First a disclaimer ..

DIRECTV's preferred method of enabling MRV is via their MRV upgrade path which includes adding DECA and SWiM as necessary in addition to upgrading any splitters, receivers or multiswitches. This is DIRECTV's Connected Home initiative.

However, if you want to use your own home networking, you can do so. You will still need to pay the $3/month MRV fee (called 'whole home DVR service') and it will need to be activated on your account. Here is the procedure to get that accomplished:

NOTE: If you are ordering DECA/SWiM, DO NOT follow this procedure. Simply order DECA/SWiM and MRV will work out the way it's supposed to.

This procedure is for those folks who want to use their own home networking and continue to enjoy Multiroom viewing.

Call 1-800-531-5000
Give Your Phone # when prompted
At the main menu voice prompt say "Whole Home DVR Service"
At this point you should be connected to an agent
Tell the agent that you have been participating in the 'Whole Home DVR Service beta' and you want to enable 'MRV-Capability' so that you can activate 'Whole Home DVR Service' on your account
Ask the CSR to cancel (or do not enter) the Connected Home upgrade screen
Ask the CSR to enter 'Account Attributes' (under the same drop down as adding services) and choose 'Create New'. The only option here is 'MRV-Capability' and it should be set to 'u' (for unsupported) with mostly defaults. At this point, you have enabled the 'MRV' flag and you could (in theory) order from the web page. I saw it when viewing my account via the web.
Once this has been set, the CSR will have to exit your account information and then reenter your account information screen so that the information refreshes.
At this point, the CSR can now enable "Whole Home DVR Service"

Would this work the same as deca, allow non dvr receivers to receiver dvr service? Or would it simply work with anything connected via ethernet?

about half that right there is extra steps in there.

Really only thing the csr needs to do is this step

Ask the CSR to enter 'Account Attributes' (under the same drop down as adding services) and choose 'Create New'. The only option here is 'MRV-Capability' and it should be set to 'u' (for unsupported) with mostly defaults.

They can then add mrv from the add/change screen or the customer via the web

all that other bullhocker is just filler that will cause you to confuse the rep.

Worst case is you tell them to look up how to do it in our reference system. They search for mrv or whole home drv and it will pop up. The other stuff has will just confuse agents at connected home is not something most agents see. DBStalk is just well out there.

about half that right there is extra steps in there.

Really only thing the csr needs to do is this step

Ask the CSR to enter 'Account Attributes' (under the same drop down as adding services) and choose 'Create New'. The only option here is 'MRV-Capability' and it should be set to 'u' (for unsupported) with mostly defaults.

They can then add mrv from the add/change screen or the customer via the web

all that other bullhocker is just filler that will cause you to confuse the rep.

And that's the bottom line. I'll have to do this if my install tomorrow isn't capable of MRV out of the box.

Stonecold - your info is always appreciated. I think what Doug put together was a last minute thing as people were calling CSRs and they had no way to setup MRV for ethernet users.

Thanks for posting the simpler clarification.

Stonecold - your info is always appreciated. I think what Doug put together was a last minute thing as people were calling CSRs and they had no way to setup MRV for ethernet users.

Thanks for posting the simpler clarification.

It didnt help that agents had no training on MRV so going into account atributes is new for them.

Personally I would take the offer. I know elliteway said there is a 24 month contract ext on this I dont thinkthere is I a mgoing to double check out systems though.

It didnt help that agents had no training on MRV so going into account atributes is new for them.

Personally I would take the offer. I know elliteway said there is a 24 month contract ext on this I dont thinkthere is I a mgoing to double check out systems though.

I was told 24 month contract as well which surprised me as I was not getting a receiver upgrade as part of the deal. Please let me know what you find out.

I'm being installed tomorrow and having a receiver replaced and the CSR didn't mention an extension. They usually do when you add equipment but she could have just forgotten. I don't really care but for those who do I think you won't be extended unless you "upgrade" receivers.

Just wondering, but has Directv set a date that the Beta of MRV will stop working? I am not sure why anybody would call up and get MRV working with the $3 fee until they drop the beta all together.

Just wondering, but has Directv set a date that the Beta of MRV will stop working? I am not sure why anybody would call up and get MRV working with the $3 fee until they drop the beta all together.

May 20th the Beta is over & you will need to sign up & pay $3/month for MRV!

I am sending a email to my operations manager because I am hereing two things , 1. that there only a contract comittment with new hardware if it swaped out and the other of it a 2 year even with out swaping out. Our reference system not real clear on it either so I am emailing for clarification should have a answer by end of business monday or some time tuesday.

Ok something isn't clear to me.
I have been using the beta for a while now on 3 of my receivers (2 htdvrs and 1 hd).
I see that the beta is ending on the 20th.
I went to directv's website and saw that they offer it for $3.00 as mentioned here, but it won't let me order it, and it says that I am not eligible.
Why not?
It seems a little awkward to me that I have to call DTV and tell their CSR how to use their own system in order to activate. What does the average joe that doesn't read this forum supposed to do if you want to have the multi room deal.
I have the receivers all connected to my router with cat-5 cable.

What's the deal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)