Integra DTC-9.8 Review

teachsac

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 3, 2005
Elk Grove, CA
OK. I decided to go with separates downstairs to replace my 4806 to a Mitsubishi 65831. I went to the "competition" and paid retail for the first time in forever.

MSRP: $1600
Features:
DTSHD, DOLBY TrueHD, THX Ultra,
HDMI 4 in/2 out
7.1 Balanced and unbalanced outs.
Reon HQV Video Chipset
Burr/BrownDAC
etc, etc, etc, (Name that movie)

Setup:
Found my old Parasound, Could not get one of the interconnects to unlock. Ended up with a huge blood blister. To the shop for another set until I can get another cable ordered (they are customs from Taralabs). Back home. Everything hooked right into place. I used 3 HDMI ins for the Toshiba HDDVD (Gen1), Panasonic DMP-BD10, and Dishnetwork VIP622 into a 5 channel Rotel RMB-1095 200 Watt/chanel amp. Note: The HDMI inputs are labeled right to left. Darn Japanese :pTurned everything on. No sound. What? Took a couple minutes to discover I hit the trigger switch in the back. Duh. Flipped it, everything came on.

The onscreen display came on. Set the monitor to out HDMI. Decided to try the audyssey setup. Made sure the speakers/and sub was set correctly prior to running. IT took about 10-15 minutes to run through three listening locations and do the calculations. Done. Went back into the menu to run the test tones to see how well it did and battery's dead in my DB meter. Off to the store. Back. Ran the test tones and measured: Outcome was pretty good. Went into the THX menu and made final adjustments since I'm using M&K's.

Next it's off to assigning the Video inputs. HDMI 1, 2, 3 and done. Now it's time to play.

Video:

The HDMI output has several resolutions to choose from (480i/p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p (to take advantage of the Reon), and through. Started with through. Everything looked just as with the 4806. Next I set it to 1080p. Watched several channels and DVR events and the video was vibrant. Later I watched "The Cat in the Hat and all I can say is the video is stunning (720p upconvert to 1080p).

On to the fun stuff. Put in Goblet of Fire HDDVD as this is one of the best transfers around. The video was slightly better using the Reon in the receiver than running through output. Next onto the Panasonic BD10. Popped in "POC: Dead Man's Chest" and again the video was outstanding. I applied the THX settings and preffered it over the straight LPCM from the players.

Decided to leave it set to 1080p. Note with SD channels, the advage applies, " Garbage in, garbage out." Some SD channels looked better than others.

Audio:

Watched "Live at Wight Island: Who and Bowie" from MHD. The sound was very good. You could hear the synthsizer chirps on "Heroes". After the show was two Music Videos: Eric Clapton's "Cocaine" from the Crossroads. There was an immediate improvement in sound over the Who and Bowie. Every little nuance was noticable. Then come Loggins and Messina (not my type of music). I was blown away. The sound was absolutely incredible. I didn't know my BG sub could Rock that hard. I don't want to delete it just so I can listen to this song and use it as a reference. Next I popped in Willie Nelson's Reggae album. Again I was impressed.

Next I hooked the HDDVD player up using the 5.1 analog outs and left the video HDMI. Yeap. It rocked. I will leave it there.

Impressions:

If you are looking at going into separates for the first time, you cannot go wrong with this pre/pro. It has more bang for the buck than any other pre/pro on the market or coming soon. The video upconversion and switching is excellent as is the sound quality. It doesn't quite match the sound of my Lexicon MC12HD but it's not that far off. Definitely not worth 10K more.

Cons:
1. Remote:Like Joe and Cochiseguy posted in their Onkyo review, the input selectors on the number pad are not backlit. I'll try to setup my Universal Remote.

2. Reon Chip: As of right now the Reon's manual settings are disabled. So you are stuck with the defaults. Still excellent. This might be corrected with a firmware update.

3. Audissey Pro: Not compatable with Audyssey Pro software, but if you are not an install geek, you won't notice. The Audyssey setup is very good.

Note also: It does run hot so keep it well ventilated.

S~

Last edited:
thanks dude, I have this and the Onkyo Pro version on order and can't get either

been waiting over 6 weeks with no HT :mad:

-Gary

Well worth the wait. My dealer had no problem getting it in. Hope you get yours soon. Been watching yours and other posts at AVS.

Watched a video of Loggins & messina on MHD and man did it sound great.

Good Luck.

S~

Well worth the wait. My dealer had no problem getting it in. Hope you get yours soon. Been watching yours and other posts at AVS.

Watched a video of Loggins & messina on MHD and man did it sound great.

Good Luck.

S~

Gary you get around huh?:) Who am i to talk, i hope you get yours soon buddy.

Teachsac,

Nice review!

I posted your review over at AVS Official 9.8 thread b/c it was imformative and helpful to others waiting. I agree that MHD concerts sound great via the Integra, i recorded Jill Scott's concert and was very impressed with the SQ.

Gary you get around huh?:) Who am i to talk, i hope you get yours soon buddy.

Teachsac,

Nice review!

I posted your review over at AVS Official 9.8 thread b/c it was imformative and helpful to others waiting. I agree that MHD concerts sound great via the Integra, i recorded Jill Scott's concert and was very impressed with the SQ.

I saw. No problem. I was going to post it but it has been an extremely busy week. Between work, my design business, and half of my daughters starting school this week, I just haven't found any time.

The problem I have with that thread is it is 80 pages now with maybe 5 reviews, 69 pages of off topic stuff, etc.

Gary used to be a regular around here. Miss ya bud.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts