Integrated SiriusXM receivers

LocutusOfBorg

I have better things to do
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
My Xterra came with an integrated SiriusXM receiver in the entertainment center but it seems that all of the aftermarket systems don't have this feature. They are SiriusXM "ready" which means an external receiver is required (which I don't want). I'm wondering why. I'm asking because I'm looking at upgrading my 2002 Mustangs system since the CD player quit working.

My Xterra came with an integrated SiriusXM receiver in the entertainment center but it seems that all of the aftermarket systems don't have this feature. They are SiriusXM "ready" which means an external receiver is required (which I don't want). I'm wondering why.
I'd imagine it is primarily because SiriusXM never managed to release a universal receiver.

There's also the non-neglible issue that not everyone wants Sirius or XM so including it would represent an extra cost that a minority would take advantage of. A connector costs a lot less than a receiver and while there's doubtless some expense in making everything modular, you only have to do that once.

Adding a kit is really not all that intrusive and if the head unit is worth its weight in chicken feathers, the UI integration should be seamless for either Sirus or XM.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Do you sub to SXM? Will the new audio system have bluetooth? If so, you could just stream SXM from your phone. That's what I do.
The new audio system will have Bluetooth which will give me hands free phone use also. I'm not currently subscribed to SiriusXM but I'm considering it. I have a trial thing with my Xterra. I'm not sure that I want a sub because it's kind of a pain (and potentially dangerous) to fiddle with it to get the station I want. As a sidebar, it's kind of funny that all the material will be here by Friday except for the audio system which won't be here until the end of next week (Amazon Prime isn't all it's cracked up to be).

I'm not currently subscribed to SiriusXM but I'm considering it

If you do subscribe, they often offer deeply discounted subscriptions. IIRC my last plan was $30 for 6 months which included streaming. For the car, I set the channel I want before I start driving, so I don't have to fiddle with the phone while I'm driving.

Reactions: TheKrell
Helped my brother with his SXM account today- Select Package $6.50/mo for 12 months including taxes and fees. That's down from $22.99/mo
That must be why I get dropouts in open areas because they're turning down the power to keep costs down. It makes me growl when I'm listening to 80's on 8 and the music drops out. Don't worry, I'll get over it. o_O

• Haha
Reactions: comfortably_numb
My Xterra came with an integrated SiriusXM receiver in the entertainment center but it seems that all of the aftermarket systems don't have this feature. They are SiriusXM "ready" which means an external receiver is required (which I don't want). I'm wondering why. I'm asking because I'm looking at upgrading my 2002 Mustangs system since the CD player quit working.
Because it makes the headunit cheaper for those who don't want SXM

No matter. I figured out how to stream it from my phone to the radio via bluetooth.
But I decided that I want to get a better head unit. Turns out that my head unit isn't 100% compatible with Android Auto. But all the other receivers I've looked at are out of stock. I need to do better research before buying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)