Intel reportedly close to offering al a carte TV

minkbarn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
I don't for a moment think the content providers are going to allow this. Dish might have offered a la carte long ago if they were allowed to, as Charlie has expressed some support for the idea.

Dish et al don't have the option of offering such today, the choice is not in their hands.

Dish et al don't have the option of offering such today, the choice is not in their hands.
The choice is not in their hands, it is in the hands (and wallets) of the consumers, who will need to start saying "no" to the current pay-tv bundling/extortion model. Without the revenue stream, channel providers would be forced to acquiesce.

Last edited:
Tell that to Disney, so they'll agree to a la carte.

But I generally agree, pricing is getting out of hand and a tipping point may be reached. When I joined 11 years ago, I paid $10/month. Granted, a special promotion. But I now pay almost $110/month. Sure, I get more- but not sure I'm getting that much more, after accounting for inflation and moving to HD & DVRs.

I would LOVE this option as I can count on both hands how many channels we watch in our family.

Content providers need to realize that quite honestly consumers don't NEED them. We can watch shows on Amazon or Netflix, or iTunes.

I still think that an alternative to ala carte could be metered usage, similar to cell phone usage plans. Have all channels available to the customer but charge hourly rates based on package tier. Channels themselves get paid for their actual viewership hours, not by the number of package subscribers.

It is time for wasteful channels to go away. If they are not supported, they should not be on the air.

I will support the local channels, the premium channels, amc, a couple of Disney channel but not espn.

I will not be holding my breath. The channel providers would have to agree to do this. What advantage would they have in doing that. Why do we need Scott, it's not a scoop about E*?

Maybe they will have their own content or will only offer channels that agreed to not be bundled which may be some of the less popular or cheaper bundled channels. They are probably counting on others to follow suit as more subscribers sign up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Until I see a cost per channel and cost per show I won't be excited.

I assume these costs would vary based on the channel and the show.

Who knows, your bill could actually be higher.

This would be a step in the right direction. I also think this has reached a tipping point, and there has got to be another way. Like one poster said, we the consumers are the only ones with the power to change it, by cutting the cord, or at least dropping our packages down to lower levels. If nobody is buying the higher packages, then those channels aren't being watched, which means the providers have more leverage at the bargaining table.

Sincerely hope it works!It's way beyond time for a change to the current super,overly,inflated way it is now!

Google is struggling to get programming, Apple hasn't been able to make it happen even with their contacts in the programming industry so why does anyone think a chip manufactuer can succeed?

I'd like them to offer both options. You can either pick a la carte channels or you can pick from their packages. A customer like myself benefits more from the current packages because I watch so many different channels including sports. If I tried to keep all the channels I want to watch I'd be at the same price but with fewer channels. Now a customer that only wants about 10 channels and none of them sports, they would benefit greatly from a la carte.

Agreed, it's like the ala carte naysayers are acting like it'll be ala carte or nothing. Of course that would never work and most would pay more for less. But to have all options of package tiers, ala carte and metered usage would benefit not only the consumers, but the provider as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)