Intelsat 8 at 166.0°E at Vancouver Island?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
A

absentfriend

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Apr 14, 2009
victoria, bc
So I'm going to setup my first 10 ft mesh, I'm targeting 121W and Intelsat 8 at 166.0°E(which is big question mark?)

Is anyone here can receive "Intelsat 8 at 166.0°E" using a 10ft mesh in Western North America? (According to lyngsat, it's doable, but I really have no idea:D)

I locate at Sidney, BC

Anole

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 22, 2005
L.A., Calif.
The Satbeams site would suggest a 13 foot dish might be a better idea.
Lyngsat suggests a 12 foot dish or better.
I couldn't hit 3° elevation to the west even if I did have a dish that size. :cool:

Of course, we don't know how accurate that info is, so give it a try. :rolleyes:
Power levels vary between transponders, too. So there's another factor.

Which of the free channels interest you?
Maybe there is an alternate source, if this doesn't work out.

A

absentfriend

Apr 14, 2009
victoria, bc
few TVBS one, look like my chance is very slim...

Also target ETTV on 121w, hope it's a easy job

M

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
according to Mike Kohl it might be doable

166.0 East Intelsat 8 C-Band
5150 MHz local oscillator (formerly PAS-8)
12-foot dish needed in Western mainland states

MPEG

A

absentfriend

Apr 14, 2009
victoria, bc
The first thing happened after I set up my 10ft, is my nice adjacent's senior retirement center manager's shocking face...he told me city by law, the satellite dish limit is 2.7 meter from the ground(hell, if I known that, why bother, take me a week to haunt, to take it back, to mount it...so I'm offically fxcked... ( i lied to her, it's 2.4 meter, but she just smiled, and told me...it's 10 foot...lol, sharp eyes, she must has those before :D:D:D)

So I need to find a new home for it, and just ordered a much smaller Prime focus 6 ft...damn, I hate be in a crowdy city :D:D:D

S

SatPhreak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 19, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
Try mounting it on a trailer, then it should pass as long as the top of the dish is 13'6"or less from the ground and the trailer is licensed. That way it is not a fixed structured in your yard, but a movable trailer that is only covered by the highway traffic act. The only problems you may have will have if there is restrictions on parking trailers in a residential area.

According to lyngsat you may not get 166E with a 6' dish.

M

mikekohl

Prehistoric Satellite Guru
Supporting Founder
Jun 4, 2004
Montfort, Wisconsin
Footprint maps as well as local zoning regulations should be consulted before making such an effort at C-band reception. I set up a system at the Kupol mine, in far eastern Chukotka (Russian jurisdiction just across the water from Nome, Alaska), and it was a struggle with a 12 foot commercial antenna. Signals only get weaker as you go stateside, and between the extremely low elevation angles in Victoria plus a reduced footprint, the OP is wasting their time, even with a 10-foot antenna.

Status
Please reply by conversation.